Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Meet a feisty dispatcher and her creator

Today, Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome April Canavan, author of Storm to Forever, part of the Serenity Harbor anthology She's brought along emergency dispatcher Brandi with her. Brandi's up first.
Where are you from? I’m from Michigan originally, but I moved to Birch County, Maine when I turned eighteen and decided to stay.
Tell us a bit about Storm to Forever. It is the story of how, regardless of which direction I thought my life would go, all it takes is one good storm to screw it all up and put you on a different path.
What did you think the first time you saw Travis Masterson? I thought he was hot as hell. 
Immediate attraction is always good. Your second thought? I wanted to punch him in the face.
Hah! Even better. Was it love at first sight? Are you kidding me? I might have jumped him at the first glance, but after that he was a complete asshole for NO reason. It was more like a slow burn.
What do you like most about him? Do you know that look that you get when someone has the last piece of pizza? And you really want it, but then they go to take a bite and your whole world feels like it is about to collapse? My favorite thing about Travis is that he would see the look of horror on my face and stop mid-bite to give me the last piece of pizza.
That is so sweet. How would you describe him? Um, hot. For one. But complicated. And a jerk. And he’s rough around the edges. But he’s exactly who he is. He doesn’t sugar coat things. Even for me. I guess I’d describe him as the man that you see helping an old woman across the street, he’s got that hero-like quality that good cops have. The kind that you see on videos dancing with a group of kids, or volunteering to help with a project.
Better and better. How would Travis describe you? He’d tell you that I’m a giant pain in his ass. Beyond that, you’d have to ask him.
What made you choose emergency dispatch as a career? I saw first-hand how much of an impact, how fantastic that life could be. You can change lives, when you’re a dispatcher. You’re the first line of communication with someone on the worst day of their lives.
Cool. What is your biggest fear? It would have to be opening my freezer and finding all of my ice-cream containers empty. The idea of forever having hope that something with fulfill you, and then being tormented with the fact that there is nothing there- is the scariest thing I could ever imagine.
How do you relax? I like to sit in the middle of the woods, doing nothing, and not moving. Some people call it meditation, but I think it’s more about finding my center.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Fry from Futurama. That sounds ridiculous, I know. But he loved Leela, through anything she threw at him. And never gave up on her, even when she told him no. Over and over again.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Live without fear of being hurt. To live boldly and without regret. My grandmother told me that, the day she was lying in a hospital bed saying her forever goodbyes.
This has been eye-opening. Brandi, you are one fun chick. Now it's time to chat with April.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? When I was young, I read a lot of Stephen King. And while my friends were horrified of it, scared for the horror stories- what I took away from them was there every story has its own ending. A happy ending doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It just means that everything is okay for the moment.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I was working in dispatch the night of a really bad storm. A lot of the lines were down, and people were trying to figure out where to go and what to do. And I thought to myself, how would I react if I was out there?
Tell us a bit about the anthology. Well, this series is a collection of authors belonging to the Maine Romance Writers. I didn’t actually think that they’d select the piece I wrote. But they did. So I’m still kind of in shock about that.
What project[s] are you working on now? I’m actually writing a series with the same characters that exist in Travis and Brandi’s universe. Besides that, I’m working on releasing a paranormal romance novel.
What's up next for you? I’m going to go back to my imaginary characters, and listen when they tell me what stories they want to tell next.
To learn more about April Canavan and the stories she creates, go to:






3 comments:

  1. Heck fire, Travis sounds amazing! Brandi is a lucky girl. I can't wait to read this story. ( I also read Stephen King as a teenager - amazing how some of those scenes have stuck in my mind.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Lu
      thanks for stopping by to offer support to April
      Kat

      Delete
  2. April - I love that your story was inspired by a real life experience. You sure threw lots of obstacles in the way of your characters. It was fun to see them open up to find love. And, yes, in a very feisty way.

    ReplyDelete