Monday, December 12, 2016

Serenity Harbor Comes to an End

For the next few days Wild Women Authors will wind up the Serenity Harbor anthology with our last Maine guest: Rose Meriem, author of Love In A Storm. She's brought male protagonist Pierce Blackstone with her. First up is Pierce.

Where are you from? New York City
What did you think the first time you saw Millicent?. She took my breath away but the last thing I wanted in my life at that time was another woman.
Hmm. Intriguing. What was your second thought? She was so forthright, she intrigued me.
Was it love at first sight? No, maybe lust but not love. Besides she wouldn't give me the time of day. I doubt she would throw water on me if I was on fire. Maybe gas, but not water.
Hah! Good one, Pierce. What do you like most about Millicent? Besides her looks, how honest and blunt she is.
How would you describe her? I have never met a woman so brutally honest as she is. Not only will she tell you what she thinks of you, she'll show you but her tough outer shell hides a sensitive heart. She's strong. Tough. And have I said how beautiful I find her?
How would she describe you? An asshole. Seriously, she spent years thinking I was trying to get her off her families land and home. Now, she'll tell you I'm all she was looking for in a man.
What do you do for a living when you're away from Serenity Harbor? I run my family's business out of NYC.
What is your biggest fear? I faced it the day I caught my pregnant ex-wife in bed with my best friend. The baby wasn't even mine. That was the worst thing I had ever faced. The best was when I married Millicent. Now I think it would be losing her.
How do you relax? I kayak. I used to row in college. The rhythm is soothing.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Han Solo. He is exactly who he says he is and doesn't apologize for it. He's a risk taker and goes after what he wants but will still step up to the plate and be the hero.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My grandfather quoted Joseph Campbell's 'Follow your bliss.' I have always strived to do that. Luckily I love my business and the history of my family's legacy.
Thanks, Pierce. Now it's Rose's turn at bat.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? So, so many! I have always loved movies, shows, and reading. Some like - The Mummy have inspired stories I want to write some day. Shows like Criminal Minds show how the villains become the way they are through character development and will help me when I write my serial killer some day. I love stories, big screen, little screen, and written - they all have an impact. They shade my perspective and helps me write characters who are much more than one dimensional because we all have multiple sides to ourselves.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Honestly, it is the fact that men avoided her or found her intimidating. In my other work as a Channeling, people are drawn to me because of the energy I hold. They see one thing and although I hold the energy, that is not who I am. With Millie, she holds a certain presence and most people can't see past that to who she really is except those closest to her, even her father never saw her for who she truly was.
Tell us a bit about the anthology. This is a group project with a bunch of writers working together. Thanks to Terri Brisbin and others, we self-published Welcome to Serenity's Harbor.
What project[s] are you working on now? I am working on Nina's, Millie's best friend, story. It will be my second novella.
What's up next for you? It always seems to be working, teaching, and getting writing in every chance I get.

7 comments:

  1. Wishing all of the authors in this anthology the best of luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy kayaking too! I agree that it can be quiet soothing. Thanks for sharing your story, Rose. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you connected to it. And you are very welcome!

      Delete
  3. Intriguing characters! Happy holidays to all !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoed my characters. They were fun to write. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  4. Rose, I really liked this story and how you developed the characters- what a great twist in their relationship - a twist I didn't expect, which is always fun in a story. Can't wait to read Nina's story - she is a lively and fun secondary character. I bet she'll be a blast to write about!

    ReplyDelete