Sunday, March 26, 2017

Pinterest. I LUUUVVV It

You can find me at:  www.Pinterest.com/KatHenryDoran

     For years friends and peers have been telling me over and over to utilize Pinterest to show off my books as well as my craft business.

     Okay, I could see taking photographs [louse photographer that I am] then posting them to a Pinterest Board. It might turn a browser into an actual buyer. But when and where do I find the time? Another story for another day.

     When it came to my books and WIPs the thought of taking precious time away from writing to search the net for photographs seemed wasteful. Not so, said my Pinterest Queen friends and daughters. Not in this lifetime, I responded or when God in her infinite wisdom decides to add a few more hours in the day--or grants me the ability to survive on less sleep.

     In mid February I vended at a craft show at a local mall which featured a bridal shop. Shoppers were not exactly beating down my door, so to speak, but as I contemplated ways to search out a certain style wedding dress to be used in my current WIP, I realized staff at the bridal shop might be willing to help me.

     Before the day ended, I entered the shop and discovered the owner was more than willing to listen to my tail of woe about surfing the net for the 'wedding dress of my dreams' without results. 
     She asked, “Have you tried Pinterest?”
     “Hmm,” I said. “I don't usually do that but I know people who do.”
     “Ask them to show you the ropes,” she said. “You'll get more results than you ever imagined.”

     Within 72 hours I became the local Pinterest Queen.

     My first board was titled Bridal Dresses/Prom Dresses/Evening Gowns. The next one is named Victorian Houses; the next Rooms. All for a second WIP.

     I like to multi-task.
  
   And now, I could become addicted to this wonderful aid.

   I've found photos of those people who look like my vision of my heroes and heroines and a few secondary characters. Since I love hockey and baseball you can bet they're on their boards. Faves in music, movies and TV shows are there too. Anything that lights my fire [I even have a board with that title].

     What boards do you have?

20 comments:

  1. It took me a while to feel comfortable at Pinterest too. But when I finally decided to put my books up as boards, look for inspiration on other's boards, I was flying. I now have a wide variety of boards and have people repining my pins. Have a sold any books that way? Not sure,but a few have repined my covers that that's not all bad. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, you can check out my Pinterst at Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/tenastetler. See Ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely will check you out, Tena Thanks so much for dropping by.
      Best
      Kat

      Delete
  3. Hi, Kat and welcome to Pinterest! I'll have to follow you. I've been using Pinterest for some time. I have some boards for my personal use like recipes or places I want to visit. But as a writing tool I find it invaluable especially as I am a visual person, so I have boards with people I find interesting looking to use for character inspiration. I start a board for each WIP, which helps me with setting description when the story is set in a location I'm not! I write some historical pieces as well and so pin articles I want to return to again and again: general stuff on 19thc America or medieval times. Period clothing images are another thing I like to pin--I call that board "Character Closet." In one anthology I was on we did actually sell books through Pinterest because one of the authors knew how to promote, though I haven't tackled this market myself. I also use it to pin stories I come across I want to archive for possible future inspiration. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here I am: https://www.pinterest.com/patsherrycrews/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And another author to check out on Pinterest!
      super ideas, Patti. I thank you for sharing them with me and all the visitors.
      Best, Kat

      Delete
  5. I use Pinterest a bit but not for anything writing related. I too feel like I don't have enough hours in the day to utilize this tool properly. Some day I'm sure I'll find the time, but for right now I just have one board set up as private and I don't visit the site that often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katherine
      thanks so much for stopping by. You may not be using Pinterest much at this moment in time--but you know it's there for the future.
      Best
      Kat

      Delete
  6. I love Pinterest too! It's so addictive. I use it for so much -- from recipes to story boards. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kara
      thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I've not tried recipes yet and I haven't quite figured out how to translate the picture into the actual recipe.
      Something to strive for!
      Kat

      Delete
  7. I love Pinterest too. As an author it's fun to find visuals for your imaginary world. As a person who travels, cooks, exercises, reads, crafts, and diys it's so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Charlotte!
      I never considered myself to be visual but now, after learning Pinterest, I know I am.
      thanks for stopping by!
      Kat

      Delete
  8. Kat, I so enjoyed this post. I too use pinterest, I have for about 2 yrs.. I just make boards from dogs/cats; horses, donkeys, mules; men and women; holidays; inspirational sayings; quotes; historical clothing; western states; Civil War; etc. I use pictures sometimes on FB and to get ideas for upcoming stories. I too lack the extra hrs. to play more with it, but would love to understand how to utilize it better. We must talk. It's so nice you got to post on this site. I'm so used to reading others. So welcome to your own blog--LOL. You certaining picked a great and valuable topic for all of us.I've never thought about posting my covers--oh, oh, so much to learn and so little time. I will be picking your brain as to all of this. And thanks for stirring my juices. I'm game. If I don't get to do it before long, I will certainly want to have you give me the heads up while we drive to ME for the retreat. Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us, inspiring us writers to start using this to our advantage and seeing just how much we can improve our boards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I inspire YOU??? Too cool.
      We absolutely will discuss this on our way to Maine.
      See you soon.
      Kat

      Delete
  9. When people started talking about Pinterest, I didn't see how to use it for my writing. Now I love it! I have a board for each book ("Inspiration for [title]") When I come across pictures that could work, I pin them on the board. Frequently, Pinterest will send me Pins (or Boards) You Might Like posts, based on what I've pinned before. I've uploaded my own photos, but mostly I find the pictures on Pinterest. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's my link: https://www.pinterest.com/dmburton72/

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Diane
      I'm glad you are as enthusiastic as me about Pinterest. Thanks for sending your link. I'll be sure to check it out
      Kat

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, none. Oh well, one of these days I'll investigate.

      Delete
  10. Kat, and everyone, I've started to use Pinterest more, too. Both for inspiration/research and also for promotion. I think it's a great tool for both. Feel free to follow me https://www.pinterest.com/deeterwrites/ and I'll follow everyone here, too. I have a board for writing friends, so I'd be happy to showcase your book there. :) Great post, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot figure out how to use it, to be honest. And I like content, not just pictures, and I find that Pinterest doesn't have content, just pictures. I may see something gorgeous and want to click through to get more info, and there is no more info. This is probably my biggest frustration with the platform, but second to that is that they make me use their boards to get started. I don't want to use a pre-made board, and I once spent more than 30 minutes trolling through the choices and literally found nothing I wanted to add, and it wouldn't let me go any further. Perhaps I'm missing something, but someone needs to write a step-by-step tutorial maybe, so I can figure this out. However, if it won't increase my sales, I don't care to go there. :) I'm way to busy to waste time on anything that doesn't give me good marketing results (and I am a crafter too, and have been told Instagram is a better platform for that than Pinterest).

    ReplyDelete