Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Welcome Judy Ann Davis and Four White Roses

Can a wily old ghost help two fractured souls find love again?
     When widower Rich Redman returns to Pennsylvania with his young daughter to sell his deceased grandmother’s house, he discovers Grandmother Gertie’s final request was for him to find a missing relative and a stash of WWI jewels.
     Torrie Larson, single mom, is trying to make her landscape center and flower arranging business succeed while attempting to save the lineage of a rare white rose brought from Austria in the 1900s.
     Together, the rich Texas lawyer and poor landscape owner team up to rescue the last rose and fulfill a dead woman’s wishes. But in their search to discover answers to the mysteries plaguing them, will Rich and Torrie also discover love in each other’s arms? Or will a meddling ghost, a pompous banker, and an elusive stray cat get in their way?
Wild Women Authors welcomes Judy Ann Davis and Richard Redman, protagonist from Judy's recent release out of Wild Rose Press, Four White Roses. It's a treat to have you here with us. First up is Richard.
Where are you from? Dallas, Texas
Tell us a bit about Four White Roses. It is the story of my return to Hickory Valley, a small town in rural Pennsylvania, to sell my deceased Grandmother’s house and carry out her last wishes. She wants me to find a long-lost, half-sister I wasn’t aware I had and to find some rubies hidden since before World War I. What I later learn is that the house also has a meddlesome ghost and white cat about to give birth.
Cool. And complicated. What did you think the first time you saw Torrie Larson? That she had grown into a beautiful woman with stunning eyes of aquamarine and hair as white as winter snow.
What a description! And your second thought? What is Torrie Larson doing back in Hickory Valley, for Pete’s sake? 
Good one. Did you feel it was love at first sight? For me, it was an instant attraction at first sight--even though she was wearing coveralls too large for her petite frame, chunky work boots on her feet, and fingernails adorned with blue nail polish.
What do you like most about her? I remember Torrie growing up. She was five years younger than me and was a fearless child who could hold her own with three older brothers and one older sister. She was a beauty then and is stunning, down-to-earth woman now.
How would you describe her? Of Scandinavian descent, Torrie has white blonde hair and aquamarine eyes that could shame the best colors of the sea. But her best attributes are her love for children and anything that grow in the ground. Roses are her favorite flowers.
That is so lovely. It shows you pay attention in ways most men don't. How would Torrie describe you? She categorizes me as a high powered, Dallas lawyer who isn’t interest in sticking around a small hick town.
Hah! What made you choose law for a career? I always liked to help those in need. I’m a champion of the underdog and cases that seem unsurmountable. I love a challenge.
What is your biggest fear? As a widower, I fear that my precocious eight-year-old daughter will grow up without a woman’s touch.
How do you relax? I never relax. I’m a workaholic. Only a good meal and a beautiful woman who loves to dance can lure me away from my work.
Who is your favorite fictional character? I’m a lawyer. I deal in facts, not fiction. But if I have to choose, I’d say it would be Atticus Finch in “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Even though we labor to show the truth, the world is many times blind to it. A comfortable lie can trump an obvious truth.
Very nice. What is the best piece of advice you ever received? From Lulu, my quirky elderly housekeeper and cook: “Do you honestly believe—in this whole universe of over 7.2 billion people—there is only one perfect person for each of us to love and marry?”
Good choices all around, Richard. Now it's Judy's turn in the spotlight. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? LaVyrle Spencer and Louis L’Amour are my two favorite authors and storytellers who wrote realistic fictional stories with colorful characters in everyday settings. They could spin a colorful, engaging tale.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I was raised on a farm in northeastern Pennsylvania, and I’m able to understand the outdoors, animals and small-town, rural life. I also have a sense of humor and write comedy into every book.
Writing what we know, what we lived through, always shines through in our writing. Tell us a bit about your publisher. I now have three books and one novella with the Wild Rose Press. They are professional and easy to work with. I have a very talented editor who can second guess what I want to do with a story and where I’m taking it. She diligent and appreciates my humor. In my other contemporary book, KEY TO LOVE, we passed the last paragraph to each other over eighteen times because I wanted it to end with one particular sentence, but we couldn’t get the cadence right in the last paragraph to lead to it.
That speaks well for both of you. You didn't give up and she helped you make the book the best possible product. What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I just downloaded:
Susan Wigg’s, “Snowfall at Willow Lake,” from the Lakeshore Chronicles. I just read “A Man Called Ove,” by Fredrik Backman which is a hilarious story about a curmudgeon by a first-time author and Swedish blogger.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’m busy with promotional work for Four White Roses. I’m fiddling with a holiday novella which I hope to finish this year.

Here's a sample from Four White Roses:
When Torrie stepped up to grab the notes from Rich’s hand, he scooped her into his arms and, without warning, planted a light kiss squarely in the center of her forehead, oblivious to the dirt on her face from working at the landscape center. Before she could react, he shoved the notes and phone in her hand, spun her around, and nudged her toward the steps. “Now go pluck the local flowers and bamboozle all those poor unsuspecting customers. I have work to do.” He smiled an arresting smile.
“Bamboozle?” She turned toward him and gave him a perplexed look. Seriously? Isn’t that a word to better describe your occupation, counselor?” Forcing herself to suppress a grin, she clambered down the steps and called over her shoulder, “Don’t forget to feed the cat. Have Lulu teach you.”
She slid into the driver’s seat and tossed the phone and notes onto the passenger seat. But before she could pull away from Gertie’s house, her phone rang. This time it wasn’t her usual ring tone. Rich Redman had changed her tune from I Love the Flower Girl to the Yellow Rose of Texas.
“The audacity of that man! What a blockhead,” she sputtered aloud. How dare he toy with her ring tone? Her mother had suggested the 60’s song when she first started floral arranging at the landscape center. She reached for the phone and answered more sharply than she normally would, “What? What do you want now, Richard Lee Redman? I’m driving. I can’t talk.”
There was a pause on the other end of the phone, and Torrie hoped he wasn’t going to say you—or his Friday outing with her was going down the drain.
Instead, he merely said in his low and sensual voice, “You know you have dirt on your face, don’t you?”
Torrie hung up on him.

To purchase Four White Roses, go to:

To learn more about Judy Ann and the stories she creates, go to:



12 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting "Four White Roses" on your blog today. It's really a cross genre novel of romance and mystery with a lot of comedy and a paranormal element.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting characters and looks like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's full of smiles and laughter with two little precocious girls to add to the fun. Thanks for stopping by to comment.

      Delete
  3. Fun interview! Looks like a great story--your hero sounds like he's in for a ride now the heroine is back in town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hero is a real Texan who a true gentleman until riled, Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Judy and Kat! Judy, loved the interview (real southern gentleman, sounds like an interesting book. Best of luck with Four White Roses. I really love the cover, but I didn't see it on here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, just looked again and found it over to the left. duh.

      Delete
  7. Thanks to all who stopped by to comment in support of Judy Ann's new book. Four White Roses looks like a winner and the hero? What a yummo man.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! A meddling ghost, a pompous banker and an elusive stray cat? How can I not run out and buy this. Characters sound awesome too. We share enjoying both LaVyrle Spencer and Louis L'Amour--love them both. Great interview to Juday Ann and Kat. Wishing you much success with Four White Roses and all upcoming ones too.

    ReplyDelete