Monday, June 19, 2017

Meet Karla Brandenburg and a compelling heroine

This week, Wild Women Authors welcomes author Karla Brandenburg and Siobhan McCormick from Karla's latest release, The Twins. First up is Siobhan
Where are you from? Edgarville, Illinois.
Tell us a bit about The Twins I left home right after high school – my father was abusive and I wanted to get out of there as soon as I could, but I felt bad leaving my siblings behind. A year ago, my youngest sister died, and a surprise to all of us, it wasn’t the accident we thought it was. When my brother found out the truth, the murderer almost killed him, so I decided it was time to mend fences and go back home.
A young adult who must return to an ugly situation. That shows grit and courage. What did you think the first time you saw Jared? He has a very laid back way of speaking and he’s very easy on the eyes. I’m a nurse, he’s a patient. I wasn’t ever supposed to meet him in person (I monitor a health app) but he was staying in a house my brother suggested I might like to buy, now that I’ve moved back home. The first time I saw Jared, I was afraid he’d know who I was. I was worried about crossing professional boundaries.
Hmm. Complicated but totally understandable. What was your second thought? I wanted to take care of him but he’s a very stubborn man!
Did you feel it was love at first sight? More like love at first phone call. He’s very easy to talk to and has a very sexy voice.
First phone. Good one. What do you like most about Jared? His easygoing manner.
How would you describe him? Tall, dark, handsome, stereotype. He probably has a line of women following him around where he’s from.
Don't they all. The good ones, we mean. How would Jared describe you? Feisty! At least that’s what he says.
What made you choose nursing as a career? I kind of fell into it. I needed something to do with myself, and I’ve always cared about people.
What is your biggest fear? I’ve worked very hard to overcome a past I’m not proud of. I was looking for affirmation in high school, and I didn’t do it in constructive ways. I don’t want to repeat my past mistakes.
Another perfectly understandable part of yourgoals and motivation. How do you relax? I read and I volunteer.
Thanks for giving us insight into your life, Siobhan. Let's talk to Karla for a moment. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Raiders of the Lost Ark motivated me to write my first novel. Victoria Holt was my favorite author growing up. The Night of the Seventh Moon sucked me in and I knew I wanted to write like her (but I don’t…)
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? For The Twins, I was recovering from surgery, and I have a health app to monitor my progress. When I made a note about something to discuss with the doctor, I was surprised to receive a “push notification” from the nurse monitoring the app and it sparked my imagination. “You’ve Got Mail” style.
As a [retired] nurse this is fascinating. Good for you for implementing this for your story! What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I have a dozen right now, from Kristan Higgins to Jill Shalvis to Dawn Altieri to Jennie Crusie
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’m finishing my third in the Epitaph Series “The Mirror” which should hit the shelves late July or early August.
To learn more about Karla and the stories she creates, go to:
Web page: https://www.karlabrandenburg.com

To purchase The Twins go to:
www.Amazon.com/dp/B06Y22Q7RH

www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-twins-karla-brandenburg/125834000


13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Karla
      Siobhan is compelling with a history that rings true. Can't wait to read her.
      Kat

      Delete
  2. I've read this one. Definitely a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Terry. We appreciate the support.
      Kat

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the interview. Siobhan sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine! She was fun to write.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Katherine
      you know me/us: former nurses and survivors. Siobhan speaks to us. Thanks for stopping by!
      K & V

      Delete
  4. Interesting interview. Siobhan is intriguing. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could not agree more, Tena
      thanks my friend for your continued support
      Kat

      Delete
  5. Karla, the whole premise and characters sounds terrific. Looking forward to a great read. I am a retired nurse so this is right up my alley. Wishing you much success on this and upcoming ones. It's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beverly! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete