Monday, August 27, 2018

Wild Women Features: Sunset in Laguna by Claire Marti


. . . . .Returning to Laguna Beach after four tours in the Middle East, Christian Wolfe leaves the military behind and buys a wine bar, vowing to keep his life simple. He fights to keep his devastating PTSD a secret and refuses to burden anyone else with his baggage. When stunning Kelly Prescott and her red stilettos saunter into town, she drives him past the bonds of his self-control.
. . . . .Successful in her father’s stuffy law firm, Kelly’s too compassionate to survive in the cutthroat world of corporate litigation. Leaving behind both family and courtroom drama, she moves to Laguna to become general counsel for a nonprofit veterans’ organization.
. . . . . She didn’t bargain on a gorgeous modern-day Heathcliff, and in Christian, she sees another kind of challenge—one she can’t resist.

Wild Women Authors is pleased to feature author Claire Marti and Kelly Prescott from Sunset in Laguna, a contemporary romance, soon to be released [August 29th!!] by the Wild Rose Press. Welcome, Claire and Kelly. As usual, first up is Kelly.  
Where are you from? I grew up in San Diego, California.
What did you think the first time you saw Christian Wolfe? After I caught my breath I thought, is that Heathcliff?
What was your second thought? Seriously, who is this tall, dark, and mysterious man?
Did you feel it was love at first sight? No, I met him a while ago when my best friend Sophie Barnes and I went to Vines, the wine bar he owns in Laguna. I was still dating my ex, but I definitely thought Christian was gorgeous.
What do you like most about him? At first he seemed aloof. As I’ve gotten to know him, I realized he’s just reserved, but uncovering the layers and finding his dry sense of humor was great. And he is the best kisser.
How would you describe him? Did you know he was a war hero? He was a Major in the Special Forces over in the Middle East, so he’s a leader, he’s brave, he’s a little cocky, but beneath the tough surface, he’s got a heart of gold. And, not to be shallow or anything, but he is really handsome.
How would he describe you? Hmmm…now as opposed to when we first met? I think he assumed I was a snooty attorney because I worked for my father’s corporate law firm before I moved up to Laguna. Now he’s gotten to know me better, I think he’d say I’m actually down-to-earth, smart, kind, and I know he’s kind of obsessed with my red stilettos.
What made you choose law as a career? How long do you have to listen to this one? Seriously though, law wasn’t my first choice, but because of some family issues, I allowed my dad to persuade me to go to law school and then somehow he roped me into his firm. I was miserable in corporate litigation and now I am so happy to be using what I learned for a good cause as General Counsel for Peaceful Warrior, a non-profit veterans organization.
What is your biggest fear? That I won’t be able to make a big enough positive impact on the world.
How do you relax? Spending time with friends or Christian, walking on the beach, yoga, and reading.
Who is your favorite fictional character? Howard Roark, the hero of The Fountainhead.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? You can’t save another person, you can only be supportive, but you’ve got no control over anything except for your emotions and reactions.
          Thanks for allowing us an insider's view of you as a person and as an attorney. We'd like to talk with Claire now.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? So many! Let’s see, I love Nora Roberts and her trilogies inspired me to write romance. I especially love the Gallagher’s of Ardmore trilogy and even traveled to Ardmore, Ireland last year because of the books. Ernest Hemingway, especially A Moveable Feast and The Sun Also Rises, Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead, and I’ll admit the Twilight series captured my heart. Team Edward all the way. My movie taste is eclectic––everything from Pulp Fiction and Quentin Tarantino (which don’t inspire my writing, ha ha) and romantic comedies like A Fish Called Wanda, and How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Well, I used to be an attorney and always felt like a fish out of water in the corporate litigation world. Like Kelly, my heart was too soft to handle the cutthroat business. Also, we adopted our dog Josie from an organization that I modeled Pups-4-Vets on. The group rescues dogs from shelters and groups and trains them to be service dogs for returning veterans.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I’m published with The Wild Rose Press. I discovered them through the Romance Writers of America and I submitted because I learned they were open to new writers and that the editors were excellent.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Oh boy, I’ve got piles in a few rooms and a loaded Kindle. Let’s see, The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory, More or Less a Countess by Anna Bradley, The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo by Kerrigan Byrne, to name a few.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? Sunset in Laguna releases on August 29th. I’ve got a new book under submission and a few agents are reviewing it now. We’ll see!
To learn more about author Claire Marti, go to:
Twitter: @clairepmarti
Instagram: @clairepmarti

Claire brought along an excerpt for us:

          Maybe he just needed a punishing session with the punching bag or a few fingers of Jameson whiskey. Stop being such a damn wuss. Workouts and alcohol weren’t driving the demons away. He stepped forward.
          Something needed to change.
          “Christian?” A husky voice lilted his name.
His head whipped to the right. A beautiful woman dressed in a conservative dark suit and tortoiseshell glasses stared at him. Somewhere in his brain he registered dangerously toned legs encased in red skyscraper-high stilettos.
          Sweat popped onto his brow, and he swallowed, his throat suddenly parched. Recognition flooded his system when he dragged his gaze up from those spiked heels. Her tawny cat eyes captured his—Kelly Prescott. Didn’t she live in San Diego?
          “Um, hey, Kelly.” What the hell was she doing at Peaceful Warrior?
          “What are you—?”

          “Why are you—?”

          “Ladies first.” Distract. Deflect. Damn it to hell.
          “Well, it’s kind of a secret at the moment, but I’m about to interview for the general counsel position here.” The corners of her rosy lips curved up.
          “General counsel?” For some reason he couldn’t seem to utter more than two words at a time.
          “Yes. They’ve needed one for a long time and recently got a grant to fund it. So here I am.” She walked toward him. Hints of cinnamon and some exotic scent assaulted his nostrils.
          He drew in his abs and expanded his chest. Kind of like a rooster. He grunted. “You’re going to commute?”
          “No, if I get the job, I’m actually moving up here.” She shrugged and flashed perfect white teeth, oblivious of his discomfort.
          “Huh.” Over a year ago, her golden beauty had caught his attention when she’d accompanied his buddy Nick and Sophie to Vines. He’d been single at the time—hell, he was always single—and asked Nick about her. She was Sophie’s best friend. His attraction cooled when he’d learned she was a wealthy corporate attorney working for her daddy’s firm and dating another lawyer. Too complicated.
          “So what are you doing here?” She tilted her head up, still about a foot shorter than he was, even with those damn shoes that would be forever burned into his brain.
          “Oh, just taking a break from work, getting some fresh air.” He gestured with palms sweatier than they’d ever been in the searing heat of the Middle East.

To purchase Sunset in Laguna, go to:
B&N https://bit.ly/2NAsbmu:
iBooks: https://apple.co/2O5XDtL

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for hosting Kelly and me today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Claire. I enjoyed getting to meet Kelly. This is a terrific story. I hope it does well.
      Kat

      Delete
  3. What a terrific interview, Kat, Claire, and Kelly! The book sounds delightful. I love a tortured hero and the heroine strong enough to help him. Best of luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barbara
      thanks so much for stopping by. This is a terrific story.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Barbara. Me too! What would those tortured souls do without us??

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the excerpt! Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Kara
    Thanks for stopping by. This is a great story; one I'm sure you'd enjoy.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting story. I loved the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete