Friday, September 14, 2018

Focus on: Retribution by Toni V. Sweeney

Retribution (Book 5 of the kan Ingan Archives, Part 2 of the Arcanian Chronicles)
Arcanis is in civil war. The margravine has been deposed. A plague rages.

Sent by TerraFormation with vaccine to help the war-torn planet survive, Miles Sheffield is reunited with his best friend and his niece, offering them refuge on Terra.

When Pallas and the other women on the FSS Clara Barton are abducted, Aric, Miles, and the crew begin a search taking them beyond the Emeraunt Galaxy to the law-forsaken depths of the Fringes.

There, Aric faces an old enemy he never again expected to see, and a fight to the death for possession of his own wife. Old hatreds are revived and old memories return to life as he makes a decision affecting not only the Throne of Arcanis but the eventual fate of his own family.

An Excerpt From Retribution:
Dr. Thorpe? Wayne Thorpe?”
Yes, I'm Dr. Thorpe,” he acknowledged. Setting down the grid, he walked over to Miles, studying his face carefully. “Do I know you?”
It’s Miles...Sheffield. I guess you probably don’t remember—”
Little Miles?” The doctor laughed. He took a step backward, giving him a quick once-over with bright hazel eyes. “To use an old cliché…my, how you’ve grown.” He called over his shoulder, “Maeve, you and Carol finish without me.”
As one of the nurses nodded, he threw an arm across Miles’ shoulders.
How could I ever forget my almost brother-in-law? Come on, we’ve got some catching up to do. So, you’re the M. Sheffield in charge of this little mercy mission? I didn’t make the connection.”
Miles admitted he was, adding, “I wasn’t sure you’d want to remember me.”
Listen, Miles, just because your sister jilted me and nearly ruined my life doesn’t mean I want to forget everything about that time. For example, I still remember what a little pest you were.”
Out of all the memories, you had to pick that one?” Miles laughed.
They settled in the mess hall, drinking the grain-beverage concoction long ago replacing coffee as the National Drink, poured from one of the portable synthesizers assigned to each table.
Thorpe explained he’d been doing research at a TF hospital in Pennsylvania.
After I got my act back together when Elizabeth dumped me, I decided to tackle the most difficult field I could find. Something to keep me so damned busy I wouldn’t have time to feel sorry for myself. I’m a qualified expert in viruses, though I certified as a general practitioner after I graduated.”
He picked up his cup, swirling the contents slightly.
I think that was the worse period of my life, being dropped like that and pulling that idiotic stunt of trying to drink a bottle of Nirvana-laced whiskey. If my cousin hadn’t found me, and my father hadn’t been influential enough to have my treatment records destroyed... My budding medical career would’ve ended then and there. I had a lot of time to think while I was recuperating and realizing what a fool I’d been.” He laughed slightly. “Ironic how it worked out, isn’t it?”
You mean your being on this ship?”
All of it. If I hadn’t missed that year of school getting all that psychiatric treatment for…well, the official diagnosis was depression, I wouldn’t have come back just as the viral lab position came open. Dad suggested I apply.” He studied the dark brown liquid in his cup. “Which would, a long way down the road, put me on this ship, going to help a woman who, if things had been different, would be my daughter. Tell me, Miles, does she look like Elizabeth?”
Miles paused a moment before answering.
How many times have I heard that same tone when anyone speaks of Elizabeth? Or seen that expression? Elizabeth Sheffield might have been dead for nearly twenty years, but to any man who knew her, she was still very much alive
She has my sister’s blue eyes, but she’s more beautiful then Elizabeth ever was.”
Does she have her mother’s disposition?”
As far as Thorpe was concerned, Elizabeth Sheffield had been the most selfish, manipulative female in existence, a bitch who twisted men around her little finger until they howled in pain though they enjoyed it while it was happening. He’d always been aware she agreed to marry him only because her parents wished it. Because of that, he let her have her way in the hopes she’d at least tolerate him. He didn’t say any of that, of course, merely looked over at Miles and smiled, a little ironically, to show he hadn’t really meant that last question…though he really did.
Wait’ll you meet her.” Miles let his own fondness for Pallas color his words. “You’ll love her. You won’t be able to help yourself.”
Somehow, Thorpe doubted that. Once bitten, twice careful, especially where the daughter of the woman jilting him was concerned.

BUY LINKS:





About Our Focus Author:

Toni V. Sweeney has lived 30 years in the South, a score in the Middle West, and a decade on the Pacific Coast and now she’s trying for her second 30 on the Great Plains.

Since the publication of her first novel in 1989, Toni divides her time between writing SF/Fantasy under her own name and romances under her pseudonym Icy Snow Blackstone. In March, 2013, she became publicity manager for Class Act Books (US). She is also on the review staff of the New York Journal of Books. In 2016, she was named a Professional Reader by netgalley.com.

In 2015 and 2016 Toni was voted one of the Top 10 authors of those years by Preditors & Editors Readers Poll. In 2013, the Paranormal Romance Guild’s Reviewer’s Choice voted The kan Ingan Archives (Part Two of the Arcanian Chronicles) a Special Mention, and the following year, named the individual novels The Man from Cymene, and Space Studs, from the same series two of the Top 8 SF/fantasy novels of 2014.

As of 2018, Toni currently has 55 novels in print, including 3 series, and 3 trilogies.

Find out more about Toni:

Amazon Author’s Page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002BLQBB8
Twitter: @ToniVSweeney






12 comments:

  1. Sounds really good! Best of luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. The series has won a couple of awards, so I guess readers like it.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Claire. So glad you figured out how to make a comment on the blog!

      Delete
    2. I worked hard on the world-building, so glad you found it interesting.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great book! I enjoyed the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. It was difficult to select an excerpt and I hoped I chose one that would pique a prospective reader's interest.

      Delete
  4. I've read Ms Sweeney's books in this series and believe you'll find it well worh your time to pick up the first and go thru.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the excerpt and wish you continued success!

    ReplyDelete