Thursday, October 4, 2018

Feature: All But the Fall by Kim Turner

Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back Wild Rose Press author Kim Turner who celebrates her latest release, All But the Fall. She's brought hero Aaron Decker; we'll begin with him.
Where are you from? Everywhere and nowhere. My brothers and I are adopted. Not biological. But as far as logistics, Sun River, Montana is home.
Tell us a bit about All But the Fall It is about when Jenna and I met. I first saw her on the set of the Bounty Hunter Series. I'd hired on for horse stunts and she took the nurse consultant job, taking care of any medical needs for those on the set. It didn’t take me long to know I'd fallen hard but I have a five year old daughter to think about, and elderly parents, and a ranch to run. I wasn’t looking to lose my heart or my life come to think of it. Jenna had a lot of things to hide out if necessity, an ex husband who resurfaced shortly after we met and things went upside down real fast with her trying to protect herself and her young son. It didn’t take me long to see she was going to need my help if I wanted to keep her safe.
What did you think the first time you saw her? I couldn't take my eyes off her. She carried herself with confidence but I could see right through her. Someone had broken her but I wanted in, wanted to know her and be the reason she smiled again. And when she smiles...damn. She's amazing, a wonderful mother, a nurse with great skill and compassion but as a person unique enough to damn near take my breath away.
What was your second thought? Run! I had been burned before. But running a small ranch and working a film set didn’t mean I had much time to think about a woman, but with Jenna, I couldn’t get her off my mind or out of my head.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? Because of Jenna I believe now in love all together. She defines the word for me.
What do you like most about Jenna? Her courage to try and face the world on her own even when it seemed to be falling apart around her. And besides that she's as beautiful as I've ever seen though she would never know it.
How would you describe her?  Thoughtful and full of life. She's a son she adores and watching her with my daughter melts my heart.
How would she describe you? Persistent. We've gone through a lot together but she'd tell you I'm overbearing where it comes to her.
What made you choose working as a stunt double, like jumping horses, for a career? A pay check. I've been around horses since I was younger and training them, earning their trust seems to come easy. My brothers and I got into films a few years back and the money is good.
How do you relax? Riding horses, walking in the woods, spending time with Jenna and the children.
Whats your biggest fear? I almost lost her while fighting to free her of her ex husband. I don't want to ever know something like that again.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? When I married Jenna my father came to me and said, "always remember as you take Jenna for your wife, that if something is ever broken, its your job to  make it right."
Who is your favorite fictional character? Not sure of fiction but because Jenna write scripts on the old west, we talk a lot of Wyatt Earp, Jesse James and such. I think the heroes of the old west are sometimes idolized in fiction these days.
Thanks for spending time with us, Aaron. We'd like to chat with Kim now.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I have enjoyed Outlander though it took me 16 months listening on audio book. Recently, I have been listening to Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati. It’s an older series but I love it so far.  I am a historical reader at heart but move around the genres if something interests me. Mostly I listen to books on tape, or CD, which give me more time to write.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you
feel it impacted the novel? The 3 brothers in this series are not biological and were in foster care together. Because my youngest daughter is adopted from China I wanted to have adoption  be a part of these stories. In fact when she was about six years old she asked me why there were no Asian heroes on the covers of the romance novels I had laying around the house. She's a smart girl and she was right, there isn't enough diversity across the romance shelves though I do believe that is changing. So the first couple in this series, Aaron and Jenna, talk of his being in foster care and because they each have a child adoption is in their future. The second brother, Gabe, is American Indian and falls for a bi-racial nurse named Brianna. And the third brother also adopted falls for an adopted Chinese lady chef. I do not know their stories yet but we have a mix up of cultures and backgrounds and I did this for my daughter. She deserves to know that love comes in all colors and all backgrounds even for those who are adopted.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what
influenced your decision to submit to them? ,Luck of the draw, in 2014 at a conference I pitched my first story as the first pitch of the day to The Wild Rose Press. I wish I had know at the time they would contract my story as I put myself put there and pitched 7 times that day, a very nerve wracking process for a quiet shy writer like me.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Right now I am behind on my writing schedule so most often I am listening to audio books while driving to and from work. I just finished listening to Wild Texas Wind by Nicole McCaffery and loved it!! I love highlanders and cowboys for the most part!








12 comments:

  1. Great interview. Interesting book, best of luck with All but the Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linking the three brothers via their past in foster care is an intriguing premise. Good luck with your release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my daughter is adopted from China... I wanted something for her in this series.

      Delete
  4. What a great post! Sounds like a character worth getting to know. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! Best of luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interviews! I loved the series by Sara Donati, Kim! Diana Gabaldon and Sara are friends and Diana had mentioned her first book, "Into the Wilderness," to her readers many years ago. All the best with your new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too on those reads! Thanks for taking a look here!

      Delete