Monday, January 21, 2019

Feature: Ryan Jo Summer's September Song


Wild Women Authors welcomes author Ryan Summers and Ivey London from September's Song, Ryan's self-published women's fiction metaphysical novel. First up is Ivey.

Welcome, Ivey. Tell us a bit about September’s Song. It is the story of Ivey London. She buried her husband, Keegan, as a war hero five years go and tried to move on with her life. She has a young son, a budding romance at work, is battling her brother over custody of their Alzheimer’s mother, and all the things a single mother and woman deals with. A part of her still grieves for Keegan.
Then she discovers a man she is positive is Keegan, is alive. He’s amnesiac and escaped from a secret underground holding facility. Oh, he also has amazing telekinetic abilities. With soldiers trying to reclaim him, Ivey and Keegan must first discover what happened to him and where he’s been for five years before they can rediscover what they had.
What made you choose nursing for a profession? In nursing you see people at their worse, in crisis, and you have the opportunity to step in and help. It’s a chance to show compassion in an otherwise dark moment. Nursing also is mentally challenging as well as physically. There is a whole spectrum of nursing, from pediatrics, to geriatrics, to everything in between. I like working in rehabilitation. The results are so rewarding.
Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stick with being a nurse or do something different? I have no regrets except I have to be away from my son, Jory, so much. Nursing is where my heart is at. Perhaps I’d work in a doctor’s office or someplace I can be home more with Jory and my mom.
What is your biggest fear? Failure! Oh my gosh. I fear failing as a mother to Jory. I worry I won’t be able to help my mom like she needs. I fear not being able to connect with Keegan or help him with these challenges. I fear I can’t help my patients in their rehab. I know I can’t do it all, but I have to try to be all for the people I care about.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I admire “Marmee” Margaret March from Little Women. She was a phenomenal mother to four girls of such different personalities and a devoted wife, even when her husband was off to war. She is such an inspiration to those of us younger generation wives and mothers.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? You cannot change the past, you can only learn from it to adjust the present to create a better future.
Thank you for spending time with us, Ivey. We'd like to chat with Ryan now.
With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? The origin for this novel was a photo of a boy feeding a homeless man. Originally I had much different plans for this story, and researched quantum fiction, (quantum physics is a pet interest of mine) I was leaning more that direction, with a splash or two of military operations. Ivey (the wife) became more predominate as I researched and eventually I had to concede she was going to control a good share of this book. The genre shifted from quantum fiction to women’s fiction with metaphysical.
Tell us a bit about your publisher. I have books published with Soul Mate Publishing since 2013 or ’14. I joined Melange Books shortly thereafter. I released with Limitless Publishing a year or two ago and recently signed with The Wild Rose Press. So I’m not hurting for publishing houses. I appreciate them all for the ways they are different.
When it came time to get serious with September’s Song, I decided I wanted to self-publish it. It was never pitched to any house. There are a few reasons why. First, I already had releases coming out with Melange and Limitless. I had self-released a non-fiction blog-to-book the year before and enjoyed (mostly anyway) the experience so I felt it was worth repeating. September’s Song had been such a problem child to write, in that it was almost written backwards to incorporate all the many layers inside it, plus the endless changes from initial concept to finished product. Due to that I felt it needed to be special. My birthday was coming up and I decided it would be my birthday gift to myself: self-publish this novel. It was an incredible experience in which I learned so much about all the “behind the scenes” part of publishing beyond what I experience as just an author.
It took just over six months of ‘Extremely Active’ editing, revisions, cover design, etc.… and pre-promo once I got serious about releasing it. This is after two years of hard research, writing, re-writing, etc… and the cool-down period before I considered it done.
What are you reading right now? I read and review for two digital review magazines, so most of my reading is done for them. I honestly can’t remember the last time I read something for recreation. I have four months of writing magazines stacked on my nightstand with the intention to read them someday. I have a whole bookshelf devoted to my tbr pile. So far, there are about 45 books stacked on it. I keep finding promising books on Amazon and think, “Hey! I’d like to read that.” I like both fiction and non-fiction, so it’s an eclectic mix. My Kindle has around 1,500 books on it. Again, same thing… that book sounds cool, so I download it. I figured it out, if I never get another book, I will probably die without having had the time to read every book currently on the tbr piles. In a way, that’s both morbid and good in the same way.
What's next for you? Melange is holding a spot in November for my time travel romance, which I need to finish. I am dipping my toe into the genre of thriller/horror for a contribution for Limitless for later this year. I signed contracts with The Wild Rose Press for a series of romance stories. Book one is in round 4 edits, book 2 is in self-edits, book 3 needs some revisions, book 4 is being written, books 5 and 6 are being researched, plotted and outlined. Plans are for 9-12 books over time. I am also joining Sweet Promise Press to contribute a few stories to their various lines. Right now I am working on a story for the Sweethearts of Country Music line. So no pressure to write. None.
I also write non-fiction articles for local magazines and periodicals. Sometimes I think I eat deadlines for a bedtime snack. My day job is pet sitting/ dog walking and day care, which keeps me hopping. I do a lot of writing while on the run between appointments.
To learn more about Ryan Jo Summers and the stories she creates go to:

Blog: https://summersrye.wordpress.com






To purchase September's Song, go to:









3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kat, for hosting Ivey and I. We appreciate it.
    Ryan Jo Summers and "Ivey London"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, it's so exciting to see how your writing has matured and ventured into such different forms. To me, you are fearless! Keep inspiring other authors and enjoying your new adventures in writing! --kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! How very kind of you. I appreciate that. Fearless? I dn't know. How about stubborn? (smile) Yes, I am not able to complain about the adventures of writing.
    ~~Ryan

    ReplyDelete