Thursday, February 21, 2019

Featuring A Hundred Breaths


. . . Can she heal his heart…with her last breath? Blade meets healing hand in this historical romance laced with Norse warriors, a merciless Scot, and a mystical Silver Veil. . .

Wild Women Authors welcomes Jean M. Grant and Simon MacCoinneach from A Hundred Breaths, Jean's latest release out of the Wild Rose Press. First up is Simon.
Where are you from? Eilean Donan Castle, Dornie, Scottish Highlands.
Tell us a bit about A Hundred Breaths: [In] 1263 Scotland, Simon MacCoinneach's vengeance runs deep. The blade is the only way to end the blood-thirsty Nordmen's reign upon Scottish soil. His soul might be lost, but the mystical Healer he kidnaps from the isles could be the answer for his ailing mother . . . and his heart.
What did you think the first time you saw Gwyn of Varteig? Since she is a "healer", I thought I might kidnap her to be my bride to heal my ailing mother. Oh, and stealing her would rile that Norse betrothed of hers. 
Did you feel it was love at first sight? No. Yes. Ask me again later. She is quite the fetching woman though. But like I said, mercy is for the weak.
What do you like most about Gwyn? She unsettles me, but in a good way. I used to believe in mercy, before it had been robbed me of my family. She has a magical touch and a compassionate heart.
How would you describe her? Protective of her brother, idealistic, spiritual, persuasive…but also a bit impetuous and confrontational. Och, maybe I like those traits, too.
How would she describe you? Cautious, vengeful, resolute…and evasive and withdrawn. But I have my reasons! Honor and the fate of our clan are at stake. I don’t have time for Ancient Healers.
What made you choose revenge as a career? That’s a long story and painful memory I’d rather not discuss. All Nordmen should die. They’ve destroyed my family’s life. Meanwhile, my father, the steward to the castle, has hopes this union will cause the king to bestow lairdship of Glen Shiel upon our kin. I’m not too keen on it but I go along with what he says.
What is your biggest fear? Losing my mother, not killing the man who ruined my family.
How do you relax? The blade helps. Hunting, though the stags have been hiding from me lately.
Simon brought an excerpt of A Hundred Breaths with him:
“I’m your wife, and still I am guarded?”
Simon shrugged though she couldn’t see. He’d given up on excuses. “What must I do to prove I won’t flee? I signed your marriage contract. I said my vows.” Her voice broke on those words.
Was she crying? He laid the tray of food on her table and approached. He didn’t touch her, as much as he wanted to link his arm within hers as they’d done during their walks. He reached inside his ganache and withdrew her small, simple dagger. Unadorned with jewels or carvings, it possessed a bone hilt and a blade worn from use. Likely from tree limbs, flowers, and household use. His smith had sharpened it and cleaned the hilt.
“Here,” he said, placing it in her lap. Gildy had retrieved the sheath from Gwyn’s laundered gown.
Gwyn stared at it, her fingertips dancing butterfly wings hovering over the hilt. After a moment, she drew her hand around it and pulled it from its leather sheath. She rose and whirled on him, the dagger pointed out before her, barely pressing into his chest.
He didn’t retreat as he met her fiery, misty gaze.
She made no move to remove the dagger’s tip.
“A smidge to the center, Gwyn, and you’ll be square over my blackened heart.” He held her glower. The heat blazed in her entrancing blue eyes like the devil. He fought a smile.
Thank you, Simon. We'd like to speak with Jean for a moment.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Outlander series, Braveheart (even if quite inaccurate), The Princess Bride, Robin Hood, and Judy Garwood’s books. I love HEA and anything medieval or Scottish.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I lost my mother when I was 25, so I weave the ill and deceased mother trope into this book (along with the other book in the trilogy, as a daughter who as questions for a mother taken too soon). I also believe in compassion, redemption, and overcoming emotional wounds (a bit of those in my own life).
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? My books are all published through The Wild Rose Press, a smaller traditional press that publishes e-books and paperbacks, as well as audio books. I queried with agents for years, with four different books. Ultimately, I decided to try a smaller press with book four (while shelfing books 1-3, chalking them up to being my “practice novels”). Bingo! Like any story, it just needed to find the right cheerleader and home. I’ve been very satisfied.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I just finished the novella Virgins (Diana Gabaldon) on audio book, almost done with The Suicide Gene (CJ Zahner), and next I’m digging into The Sea Archer (Jeny Heckman) and the ARC for A Thousand Years to Wait (L.Ryan Storms). I read e-book, print, and listen to audio.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? A Hundred Breaths releases February 18th. Hopefully followed by its audio version later this year. Two more books are waiting spring release dates: Soul of the Storm (part of the Deerbourne Inn novella series), and Will Rise from Ashes (women’s fiction). I can’t wait! I’m writing the third installment in the “hundred” trilogy right now. I will also have another magazine article out this spring with Outdoor Families Magazine.

To learn more about Jean Grant, to go:
Website https://www.jeanmgrant.com/
Twitter https://twitter.com/JeanGrant05
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/jeanmgrantauthor/
Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16582543.Jean_M_Grant
Bookbub https://www.bookbub.com/authors/jean-m-grant

To purchase A Hundred Breaths, go to:





iTunes

Walmart
Kobo
Google Play



14 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring me on your blog! I'll stop back if anyone has questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, you sound like the busiest woman I've ever known. I'm glad you have time to give us good reading. Good luck with A Hundred Breaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite busy now. Looking forward to a quieter (?) summer...oh wait, the kids will be home. Nix that. ha! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Love the excerpt! The chemistry between the two is smoking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book looks like another winner, Ms. Grant. Congrats on your new release.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great title, Jana! Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..sounds like a great read.
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great excerpt! Lots of goodness and tension!

    ReplyDelete