Monday, April 6, 2020

A Midwife for Sweetwater by Susan Payne

Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back author Susan Payne and Book 2 in her western historical Sweetwater Series, A Midwife for Sweetwater. With her is Rebekka Johansen, a woman ahead of her time.

Where are you from Rebekka? “A little, and I do mean little, town called Baker’s Hollow, in the back of beyond. No train, no stagecoach and an ‘on again - off again’ telegraph. You can never depend on getting anything from the outside world.
Tell us a bit about A Midwife for Sweetwater. “Well, I saw this advertisement for a midwife needed by a growing town in Kansas called, Sweetwater. I thought it very wise of the men, new husbands, to seek a midwife for the families living there. Most men try not to think about things like that but these men stepped up and tried to get ahead of the need – although there were a couple of wives almost due by the time I arrived. I not only care for the women during birth, I’m kind of their confidant and source of medical care for their infants, as well. I love what I do and I love the people of Sweetwater even more.
What did you think the first time you saw the Reverend Daniel Walters? “He had come to introduce himself and invite me to Sunday services. I opened my door and” chuckling “I hope my mouth didn’t drop open. He was tall, well-built and, my oh my, so handsome. I didn’t think I’d be able to keep my mind on the service.” 
What was your second thought? “That he was a pompous ass. It took a while but I began to realize he set himself above others. Kind of looked down on the rest of us and I found that very unappealing." 
Did you feel it was love at first sight? “Oh, no. I admit I lusted seeing him there on my front porch but soon realized he had his own set of demons. I don’t judge nor do I expect others to judge. I simply want to help my mothers, my patients, give birth to healthy infants.”
What do you like most about Daniel? “I finally found his good points. Like most people no one is perfect nor are they completely flawed. Daniel had to find himself again to become the man I see each morning. Both the man and the minister of a flock.”
How would you describe him? Physically, dark-brown hair with blue eyes. He’s strong, muscular with a strength that you just know he would use to help people – save people. Mentally, he had to learn to forgive the part of him that brought him to the ministry. Spiritually, he is still evolving, changing and growing in strength of spirit. Stretching his sense of who is and who isn’t worthy to enter the gates of heaven. He is now the least preachy minister you’ll ever find.”
How would he describe you? “Temptation. I think from the moment we gazed into one another’s eyes he felt that God had sent me to test him. To test his dedication and commitment to the church. We eventually came to an agreement we both can live with.”
What made you choose midwifery as a career? “My mother was the midwife for our small town and as the arthritis got to her joints, I did more and more of the actual work. I learned from an early age how to care for women and infants. It’s all I ever thought I’d do and I love being there at a birth. Helping families – it’s what I was meant to do without question.”
What is your biggest fear? “I always have fear in the back of my mind about loosing a mother or child. Sometimes it seems like God’s will but He also put me there to help them so I keep that foremost in my mind. I was meant to do my best to get everyone through the birth safe and healthy.”
How do you relax? “I eat. I have good friends who keep sending me these delicious little meat pies and frosted cakes. I walk a lot to balance the treats out so I feel I’ll be alright. I gave up the idea of being this petite thing long ago. Built more like a teapot than an hour-glass, I’m afraid.”
Who is your favorite fictional character? “I don’t have just one. I read a lot. Sometimes that’s all I have to do while waiting for a mother to get to the point of giving birth. I read to her if she wants me to. To keep her mind off of things. I like autobiographies the most although I read anything that’s close to hand.”
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? “Before my husband and I understood one another, he helped me through a trying time. I had just lost my first patient and he held me while I cried. He said, ‘I believe that crying is something you should never do alone. It’s something to be shared.’ I fell a little in love with him right then.”
Rebekka, thank you for sharing a part of yourself. Now we'd like to chat with Susan.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? “The old-time western movies of the 40s and 50s. I used to play hooky and stay home to watch them. Maureen O’Hara, John Wayne, John Payne, Gary Cooper, Donna Reed. These are the people I base my characters against when I write. I find my inspiration in them.”
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? “I feel new life is the main reason for humans to be on this earth. Babies are the direct outcome of people falling in love and pledging themselves to one another. I can’t see love without the prospect of a future growing as a family together. Children are the epitome of hope for the world.”
Tell us a bit about your publisher: The Wild Rose Press has been very helpful in getting my books into the right venues. Amazon, Nook, etc. I don’t think I would be where I am now without their help.”
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Still, too many to list, I’m afraid. In the past two weeks, I’ve read (re-read) a couple of Julia Quinns, Lisa Kleypas and Deb Marlowe. Been in a Regency mood, I guess. I try not to read the genre I’m writing so that I don’t mistakenly copy someone else’s voice.”
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? “My third book in the Sweetwater series, Jeremy’s Home along with A New Face in Town will be out in about two months or so. A continuation of the people living in Sweetwater and the new-comers to the town. Not everything is easy in an expanding western town. Two young women arrive. Each with their past converging with the present bringing troubles to the once calm Sweetwater.”

To purchase this and others in Susan Payne's Sweetwater series, go to:
Harrison Ranch and Macgregor's Mail Order Bride (Sweetwater) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1509230289/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_KTqcEbAF0P1DV

To learn more about Susan Payne and the stories she creates, go to:







3 comments:

  1. What a delightful interview, everyone! I enjoyed getting to know Rebekka and Susan better. Susan, I used to love watching those old Westerns on TV. We used to have a station that devoted Saturday mornings to those earlier movies. Best of luck with this book and continued good luck with the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love westerns, too! That's why I love writing them. Your book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete