Monday, July 20, 2020

Determined Hearts by Diana Stout

     Hawk Hunter, a half-Shoshone Indian, left New York at the height of his book-cover modeling career without anyone knowing why. His goal? To re-establish eagles to the Snake River Valley in Idaho, his ancestral homeland, and with zero publicity. The only way to reach Hawk’s mountaintop is by helicopter—with his knowledge. To date no one has been able to get an interview.
     Wildlife photojournalist Jennifer Frost is determined to get the elusive story, not realizing there is bad blood between her boss who wants this story and Hawk. Her reward for getting the story is a desired promotion denied to her thus far. Her boss lies telling her permission has been obtained.
     Stuck with Jennifer for two weeks, Hawk is determined to save his eagles and see that any story remains on the mountain. Jennifer is determined that she’ll get the story, no matter what. Just before her arrival, Hawk spotted poachers in the valley. It’s just a matter of time . . .
     Both Jennifer and Hawk must compromise and give up something they strongly believe in, but can they? Are they willing to betray the other to meet their individual goals, or will their new-found feelings for each other determine a future that neither had planned?

Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back author and lecturer Diana Stout who is celebrating the re-release of her contemporary romance Determined Hearts a self published novel by Sharpened Pencils Productions. With Diana is the eminently yummy naturalist Hunter Hawk
Good morning, Hunter. Tell us a bit about yourself. I was born on an Indian reservation in The Snake River Plain in Idaho. My father's ancestors are the Shoshone and now part of the Shoshone-Paiute Tribe.
What did you think the first time you saw Jennifer Frost? I was shocked seeing her standing in front of my cabin. No one, absolutely no one is allowed up on this mountain without my permission. I get my supplies delivered via helicopter by a friend. It's the only way she could have gotten here. I was angry that he'd done that to me, but when I found out he'd been offered a huge chunk of money to do so, I couldn't fault him for that. Times have been hard for him despite the generous amount I pay him.

Works for us. What was your second thought? I wanted her gone! Immediately.

So it wasn't love at first sight. Not in the least. I barely noticed what she looked like I was so angry at the intrusion.

What do you like most about her? Once I got to know her, I liked her determination. She doesn't give up. She is as dogged to complete a task as I am.

How would you describe Jennifer? Stubborn, determined, a force to reckon with when riled, smart, practical, and unassuming, meaning she didn't need the usual creature comforts that most women I've known needed.
How would she describe you? Probably stubborn, determined, and more stubborn.
What made you choose male modeling as a career? I was tired of being poor. I wanted to make money. I hadn't been in New York City two days when I was picked up by a modeling agency who said I had the chiseled face photographers liked and wanted. And then I got picked up by a publishing house for a romance book cover and my career skyrocketed from there. After a while though, I felt like a piece of meat. Didn't like it. I was living against what I really believed. Decided to do something good with the money I had earned and return to my core beliefs.
What is your biggest fear now, in your new life? That all the work I've done will be destroyed by poachers.
How do you relax? Being in nature relaxes me. It's why I live where I do. Alone and away from all society and its trappings.
Who is your favorite fictional character? Coyote, a character in many Shoshoni myths.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Take care of Mother Nature and she'll take care of you.

Here's an excerpt from Determined Hearts:
Determined to regain control of his thoughts, he headed for his sweat lodge. Earlier, he'd started the fire necessary for his ritual; by now, only the needed coals would remain. Even though Jennifer had been out here, back of the cabin on several occasions, she had yet to spot the lodge. He doubted she ever would.
The slight mound of earth—no more than chest high—appeared to be a natural incline, blending well into the background. Unless you were practically on top of the lodge, it was hard to see the lines of it from a distance. There was no reason for Jennifer to be in this part of the yard, which is why he never told her about it.
He couldn't stop her from remaining on the mountain for two weeks, but he could keep her out of his lodge. It was his last bastion of privacy, and he needed it right now.
Bent over, he slid through the small slot like opening, covering it back up behind him. The door was nothing more than twigs and branches interwoven with grass and leaves. In place, it looked like the surrounding land. Only a small hole in the roof allowed the heat to escape. Earlier when the fire was at its fullest, a thin line of smoke escaped, now only the sharpest eye would detect the heat.
Already, he could feel the intense heat, and it warmed his skin. Able to stand to his full height in the lodge as the floor was several feet beneath the surface of the ground, he quickly peeled off his clothes, discarding them in a heap, then put on his loincloth. Instantly, he felt the magic of the steam, the earthy smell of the dirt lodge, the slight touch of leather around his waist and loins became one with him, until finally all time and space quietly transcended.
With his eyes closed, he eased down into a cross-legged position, his palms lightly touching his bent knees, his body facing the hot coals. He forced his mind to empty of all thoughts. For just a moment or two, he was successful, then Jennifer's image walked toward him.
She was wearing a white deerskin dress, beads as blue as her eyes, decorated in such a way it emphasized her trim waist, full breasts, and rounded hips. Fringe hung mid-calf and danced around her legs as she walked barefoot toward him. Her head slightly lowered, her eyes gazed sleepily at him, daring him to reject her.
His eyes popped open. Even here, the woman intruded! How could he get control of his body, if he couldn't control his mind!
Taking a deep breath, Hawk tried once again to regain the mindless thought that would allow his heartbeat to slow, his muscles to relax, to become one with nature again.
But, once again, thoughts of Jennifer filled his mind. His hands literally ached to cup her breasts, and he found himself clutching his knees.
Damn the woman! He refused to allow her to intrude in his ancestral sanctuary. He'd leave before he allowed her entrance here, even if her presence was only mental.
Disgusted with himself for being so weak of mind, he got up to leave.

Now for a chat with our featured author, Diana Stout:
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I can't say there was just one event that I brought into this book but rather several. I've always been interested in wilderness survival and living with nature, so I've brought that interest and research into the book, which included how not to run when approached by a bear as they can outrun you.      Additionally, I brought in my camping experiences and neat tricks, like the umbrella shower, which I learned while a Girl Scout leader.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? This book was first published by Starlog Communications International, which was a magazine publisher. My editor was Milburn Smith and he was starting a romance book series called Moonlight Romance. At the time, I was the columnist of the round-up page for editors and publishers for RWA's in-house magazine, Romance Writers Report. He had called me with their new information, and he asked me if I knew of anyone who had a manuscript sitting in their drawer. As a matter of fact, I said, I do. I sent him one. He called saying he liked my writing but the story wasn't quite right. Did I have another manuscript? I did. This story, then titled The Man on the Romance Cover became their first Moonlight Romance book published. Basically, I was in the right place at the right time.
I'll never forget him telling me that he had discovered Karen Robards and that in reading my books he felt like he was discovering her all over again. That was such a huge compliment for me as I was a fan of her books.
Once I got the rights back to my book, I changed the title, changed the cover twice, updated it, which really didn't require much updating as it had been edited well, and published it in 2016 through my company, Sharpened Pencils Productions.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I read a lot of different genres. One genre I particularly like is non-fiction books. Both of these books I've started but haven't finished yet: The Far Traveler Voyages of a Viking Woman and The Hidden Life of Trees. The first is about a Viking woman who sailed to the New World and lived there for three years. It's about the archeological findings and sagas that back up the findings, all of which tell her story. The latter book tells how trees communicate and what they feel. The Native Americans called trees The Tall People, something I learned while researching Determined Hearts. I loved the author's first book, The Secret Life of Plants, and with my love of trees, this second book will no doubt be a favorite as well.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves?
I'm still writing and editing my Laurel Ridge novella series of seven romances. After publishing the first one, and while writing the third one, thinking the second was ready for publication, I discovered I was writing myself into a corner. Not good news for the remaining stories; so, I decided to write all seven first drafts before publishing the second one—which I hope will be this fall—to ensure I wasn't making plot, setting, or time line mistakes that readers would no doubt catch. After that I have several projects to choose from: a historical drama based on a mid-1800 event, a mystery, a horror, or a time-travel. All four projects are screaming me first, me, me, me!
Visitors can follow Diana Stout at:








2 comments:

  1. I have characters chattering at me, too. I understand! Good interview, lades. Enjoyed getting to know more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very evocative excerpt! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete