Monday, September 21, 2020

To Heal a Heart by Jana Richards

 Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back long-time Wild Rose Press author, Jana Richards as she celebrates the release of To Heal a Heart, a contemporary romance set in North Dakota. With Jana is veterinary tech Blair Greyson who, as usual, will go first.

Good morning, Blair. Tell us a bit about yourself, starting with where you’re from: I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota. Before my recent move to North Dakota, to my school there to become a veterinary technician, and after I finished college, I worked at a veterinary clinic in the city. But my heart’s been in Masonville for a long time. My brothers and I spent every summer there with our grandparents for years. 

           When my grandmother suddenly died and I discovered that my grandfather’s health wasn’t good, I was really worried about him. Then a job came up at the Masonville Veterinary Clinic and I saw it as a sign that I should move to Masonville. Living with my Granddad means I can look after him, at least as much as he’ll let me. If nothing else, I can make sure he eats properly. It’s also given me the chance to move my two rescue horses to Granddad’s farm from the stable where I previously housed them. It’s a win-win-win for all of us.

Tell us a bit about To Heal a Heart. It’s about overcoming heartache and trauma, and realizing that you’re worthy of love and family, and that you deserve good things to come into your life.

What did you think the first time you saw Garrett Saunders? I thought that he was a big, scruffy bully. I thought he was the reason his horse was emaciated and abused. His horse had welts all over his body and it infuriated me. I can’t stand the idea of anyone abusing an animal. So I let him have it. I told him exactly what I thought of someone who would hurt a defenseless animal, and I threatened to call the authorities on him.

As any animal rescuer extraordinaire worth her weight in oats and barley would. Your second thought? That maybe it wasn’t such a smart idea to call someone out on a deserted road, especially when that someone is twice your size and angry. I also thought that there was something familiar about him that I couldn’t put my finger on. Later, when I discovered who he was and found out that he’d rescued his horse Harry and wasn’t the person who abused him, I had to eat some crow. I sucked up my courage and apologized.

So it wasn’t what some would call love at first sight? Hardly! I think I can safely say that Garrett didn’t feel that way about me either. He thought I was a pain the ass! But once we got to know each other, we began to like and respect each other. Our feelings grew, but because both of us were damaged by past tragedies, neither of us felt we deserved someone so wonderful in our lives.

What do you like most about Garrett? So many things. He’s trustworthy, honest, honorable. He’s the most honorable person I know. If he makes a promise, he keeps it. Or at least he’ll try, and if he can’t, he’ll do his best to make up for it. He’s a wonderful son, brother, uncle and friend, and the most loving man I’ve ever known.

How would you describe him? Beautiful, inside and out.

That is so sweet! Here’s the kicker: how would Mr. Beautiful, inside and out, describe you? Aside from being a pain in the ass? I hope he’d describe me as a caring person. He knows family is the most important thing to me – my grandfather and my brothers mean everything to me. I hope he’d describe me as a good person. Even if I don’t deserve that title.

What made you choose veterinary technology as a career? I love animals and I wanted to make a difference in the health and welfare of as many animals as possible. I work alongside veterinarians in preventing disease when we can and treating animals when they’re sick. In my spare time, my passion is rescuing homeless and abused horses. I currently have two rescue horses and my hope is to rescue more in the future.

What is your biggest fear? That Garrett will find out about Eve and know I didn’t keep her safe. That’ll he’ll hate me for it. I don’t want to talk about it.

How do you relax? By spending time with my horses. Horses are naturally empathic, and I’ve found myself telling them my troubles on more than one occasion.

Who is your favorite fictional character? Probably Anne of Green Gables. Even though she had her share of heartaches in her young life, she never lost her optimism or her sense of wonder. I wish I could be more like her.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My grandfather told me to quit holding on to the past. He told me I had nothing to feel guilty about. I didn’t believe him at the time, but now I wish I could let go of my guilt because I know it’s keeping me from having a future. I want to move forward, but in a weird way I’m comfortable with my guilt. I wish I could take Granddad’s advice.

Blair, thank you for taking time away from all your obligations to spend time with us. This has been very interesting. Now we’d like to chat with Jana.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Probably every book Mary Balogh has ever written has had an impact on me as a writer. Even though we don’t write in the same romance genre, the emotion she packs into her writing has always affected me. I always feel something when I read one of her books – anger, pity, sorrow, joy – and that’s what I want to give to my readers. I want to take readers on an emotional journey.

What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? That’s a tough question. I have no one in my life who has been affected by PTSD or has had an amputation. I didn’t have the kind of loveless childhood that Blair and her brothers experienced. I’m fortunate that war has not touched my life directly. Aside from my father serving in the Canadian military in World War Two, I don’t have any close association to military life. He rarely talked about it, so war was a long ago and far away thing for me growing up.

      But I like to think of myself as an observer of human nature and a person of empathy. I’m also a consumer of news and books and I’ve read quite a bit on all these subjects. I can certainly feel for people who have gone through war and have come out damaged, either physically or mentally. I can also feel the hurt and the lasting damage of people who have had abusive childhoods. So, I guess the answer to your question is no one event informed this story. The events and the emotions of this story are a result of observing, and empathizing.   

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? This is my eighth book or novella with The Wild Rose Press. I know it’s been a while since I became aware of TWRP because the first time I read a call for submissions from them it was on MySpace! That’s eons ago in the tech world. In any event, I made that first submission and was accepted (after several rewrites), and I’ve always been happy to work with them.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I just looked at my Kindle and I have about 30 unread books in there. I keep buying books that interest me, but I haven’t read them yet. I have to admit that during the pandemic I haven’t always felt like reading. It’s weird because I love reading, but I’ve found myself watching more TV instead. And I used to listen to books when I went to the gym, but now that I’ve stopped doing that, I haven’t listened to a book since March. However, I just finished reading a romantic historical book in print called “The German Heiress” that I really enjoyed so I hope that means I’m getting back into the swing of reading once again.

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’m currently doing edits on the next book in the Masonville series. This is Ben’s story. He’s Blair’s eldest brother, a widower and single father to his two young stepdaughters. Ben is focused on caring for his kids and making sure he retains custody. He certainly isn’t expecting to fall in love so that’s why I call this story “Unexpected”.

     Once I whip this story into shape, I’m going to begin on the fourth and final book in the Masonville series, which has the working title of “Strong Enough”. This is Damon’s story, Blair’s other brother. His love interest is Charlotte, who is Garrett’s sister. Nothing like keeping it all in the family!

     With any luck, “Unexpected” will be out sometime in 2021. If you’re interested in receiving news about new releases, subscribe to my newsletter at https://www.janarichards.com/contact.html#newsletter

 You can also check out my latest news on my social media!

Website:  http://www.janarichards.com

 Blog:  http://janarichards.blogspot.com

 Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/JanaRichardsAuthor

 Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/JanaRichards_

 Amazon Author Page:  http://www.amazon.com/author/janarichards

 Amazon UK Author Page: http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B002DEVWWG

 Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2892274Jana_Richards

 BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/jana-richards

 Buy Links for TO HEAL A HEART:

The Wild Rose Press: https://www.thewildrosepress.com/books/to-heal-a-heart

Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Heal-Heart-Masonville-Book-ebook/dp/B0875SLGK6

Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/Heal-Heart-Masonville-Book-ebook/dp/B0875SLGK6

Amazon.UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heal-Heart-Masonville-Book-ebook/dp/B0875SLGK6

Amazon.de: https://www.amazon.de/Heal-Heart-Masonville-Book-ebook/dp/B0875SLGK6

Amazon.fr: https://www.amazon.fr/Heal-Heart-Masonville-Book-ebook/dp/B0875SLGK6

Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/to-heal-a-heart-jana-richards/1136868654?ean=2940162717966

iBooks: https://books.apple.com/us/book/to-heal-a-heart/id1508639914

Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/to-heal-a-heart-7

Kobo CA: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/to-heal-a-heart-7

Walmart: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/to-heal-a-heart-7

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jana_Richards_To_Heal_a_Heart?id=zNDpDwAAQBAJ


 

 

8 comments:

  1. Great interview! Horses are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hunter! I love horses but I really don't have much experience with them. I asked a friend who owns horses to read the story for me before I sent it to my editor and she told me I was making the horses do things they really don't do. So I listened to her advice and did my best to create a more realistic portrayal.

      Delete
  2. Loved the interview! Your book sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a story with horses! Also a huge fan of Mary Balogh. Congratulations on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read To Heal a Heart and now want to read the series. I love when minor characters turn into entire books themselves. Blair gave a great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. From one Canadian to another, wishing you all the best with this book and the ones to come.

    ReplyDelete