Monday, November 2, 2020

Debby Grahl and Mountain Blaze

 Wealthy Diana Thompson falls in love with cowboy Dillon McCoy. Now both must run from a killer while saving the Lazy M ranch.

         Rodeo star Dillon McCoy comes home to the mountains of North Carolina to take over the running of the family ranch, the Lazy M, unaware danger awaits. Diana Thompson, having doubts about her engagement to Trent Sawyer, needing time away, agrees to leave Chapel Hill and spend Thanksgiving with her friend Jenn at the Lazy M.

When Diana and Dillon meet, neither can deny their attraction, but both must resolve past relationships before giving in to their desire. After Dillon turns down an anonymous offer to purchase the ranch, attempts are made on his life. When a body is found, Dillon is determined to discover who wants the McCoy land enough to commit murder, while he and Diana try to elude the killer.

Wild Women Authors is pleased to feature Debby Grahl and rodeo champion Dillon McCoy as they celebrate Mountain Blaze, a contemporary romantic suspense,  released out of the Wild Rose Press. First up is Dillon.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Howdy, I’m Dillon McCoy. My family owns the Lazy M Ranch located in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains outside of Asheville, NC. Not only does the ranch offer cabins to rent, we have beautiful scenery and riding paths.

What made you choose the rodeo for a career? As far back as I can remember, I’ve loved horses and watching rodeo competitions on TV. I went to college out west, and as soon as I graduated, I joined the rodeo circuit. I’m proud to say, I’ve won one silver and one gold buckle.

Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stick with being a rodeo rider or do something different? I’d still be a rodeo rider, but I’d think twice about getting involved with Tonya.

What is your biggest fear? Getting hurt and ending up like my buddy Stew.

Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Matt Dillon. I love watching reruns of Gunsmoke. Besides, his last name is Dillon.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Never underestimate the horse.

 Hah! Good one. Thanks for spending time with us, Dillon. Now we’d like to chat with Debby.

Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, [or both] have had a major impact on your writing? My first love is classic  British murder mysteries. Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh are my favorites. The first book I wrote, Decorated to Death, is a mystery cozy. Years ago when I submitted this book to a publisher, I was told those type of stories weren’t selling. If I wanted to sell books, I needed to write romance. So I combined my love of mysteries and my addiction to romance novels. My romances always contain mystery and suspense.

With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? I love both the ocean and mountains. I live near the ocean, and thankfully my cousins live a few hours away in North Carolina. The idea for Mountain Blaze came to me while we were all touring the area around Asheville, NC. It was Fall, and the spectacular display of color against the backdrop of the Smoky Mountains was breathtaking. We hiked a while and discovered a scenic overlook which revealed a stream winding through the valley below. Then we came upon a small ranch with cabins to rent and horseback riding. As we waited for the horses to be saddled for a trail ride, my writer’s imagination replaced the nice older man with a handsome cowboy. What would his story be? As we rode through the lush woods, the air fragrant with the smell of pine, Dillon McCoy took shape in my mind.

We drove down the mountain into Waynesville. This is a great little town where I discovered Mast General. A fun, old-fashioned country store, this is one of my favorite places to shop. We decided to stop in a café, and while sipping a delicious cup of coffee, I noticed an attractive woman seated at an adjacent table. Her clothes were stylish. She looked as if she had just walked off Fifth Avenue. Once again, my writer’s imagination took over, and Diana Thompson was born. Now, what circumstances could bring the cowboy and the wealthy city girl together?

Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them; what influenced you to submit to them; how is the submission process; what is the turn-around time from date of query to date of release? I submitted to The Wild Rose Press, after my previous publisher went out of business. Mountain Blaze will be the second full length novel I’ve had with TWRP, and I also have a contract for my second anthology story. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed working with my editor, Dianne Rich. She makes the editing and rewrites easy on my author’s ego. Every writer thinks their story is perfect and can be a little indignant when their told their baby has flaws.

What are you reading right now? I go in spurts with my reading. Right now I’m between 1920’s Carola Dunn’s sleuth, Daisy Dalrymple, and Molly Harper’s Sweet Tea and Sympathy.

What's next for you? I’m working on the sequel to Mountain Blaze. Island Heat  begins on a cruise ship and ends on Hilton Head Island, SC, and is full of romance, intrigue, and murder.

 To learn more about Debby Grahl and the stories he/she creates go to:

Website -- www.debbygrahl.com

Facebook -- https://www.facebook.com/debbygrahlauthor?ref=br_rs

Bookbub -- https://www.bookbub.com/search/authors?search=debby%20grahl

Twitter -- https://twitter.com/DebbyGrahl


To purchase Mountain Blaze, go to:

Amazon Author Page -- https://www.amazon.com/DebbyGrahl/e/B00B34HM26

 

B&N--https://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/Debby+Grahl?_requestid=5525094

 

11 comments:

  1. Thanks to Kat and Veronica for having me today! And for giving Mountain Blaze an incredible review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debby - loved hearing about how you got your inspiration for this story! And congrats on the great review. The book sounds like a great read with a wonderful setting and intriguing characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, thank you so much for stopping by. NC is a beautiful state. Debby

      Delete
  3. Loved the interview! Wishing you much success on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Never underestimate the horse." Best advice ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like such a fun story! I don't know that part of the country well, but it sounds like the setting is very important to the tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alina! Western NC is beautiful country. I'm fortunate I have family who live there and I can visit.

      Delete