Friday, May 21, 2021

Numbers Game

           Former pro football player and coach Duncan "Hatch" Hatcher fumbled his career and marriage. Now divorced and ready to tackle his future, he has an opportunity to redeem himself as coach of his college alma mater's football team. But how can he turn the team's losing streak around and keep the secret of his downfall buried when the school agrees to a documentary that will allow a lovely journalist to dig her way into his past...and into his heart?

Olivia Grant's ex-husband almost wrecked her journalism career while he definitely did a number on her self-esteem. The documentary on Duncan Hatcher is the perfect way to rebuild both. As a freshman in college, she'd had a crush on the senior football hero, but he hadn't known she existed. She never expects the sparks that fly between them as they work on the project nor the struggles they must face if they both want to win.

 

Wild Women Authors welcomes author Liz Crowe as she and her writing partner, Desiree Holt, celebrate the release of Numbers Game, a contemporary romance for the Scarlet Rose line of the Wild Rose Press. Up first is former pro quarterback and now college coach, Duncan Jerome “Hatch” Hatcher. As always our feature character will go first.

Good morning, Coach, thanks for taking time away from your busy schedule to talk with us. Let’s start with where you’re from. I was born and raised in Avon, Michigan.

Tell us a bit about Numbers Game. This is a book co-written by Liz Crowe & Desiree Holt. It’s about how I get to redeem myself after screwing my life up royally, basically. I’m back in Avon, head coach of my alma mater’s football team where I got my start, Lakeview U. and I’ve agreed to let a journalist and her crew follow me and my team around for the first season so she can make a documentary about me. But I’m here to tell you that the moment I laid eyes on her…oh, wait, that’s in the next question, sorry!

What did you think the first time you saw Olivia Grant? It’s probably not fit for family consumption if you know what I mean. But let’s just say I was immediately obsessed by the thought of everything about her.

Works for us. And your second thought? Ha, okay I see what you did there. Let’s see…my second thought about Olivia was that I wondered if she liked sleeping on the left or the right side of the bed.

So, was it love at first sight? No, I don’t believe in that. I’ve been married. I’ve seen those puppet strings. What it was? A very strong physical attraction and one that we acted on, uh, pretty quickly I guess. But it turned into something else, something even better.

What do you like most about her? I love her legs a lot. But I also adore her attitude, her courage, and her willingness to put up with me.

How would you describe Olivia? Sexy, smart, sassy, a bit of a smart ass in a way I appreciate, an amazing cook, a fun date, and she loves sports. I think I hit the jackpot this time around, really.

How would she describe you? Caveat: we had an argument this morning about me wanting to get a dog and her not wanting that responsibility so TODAY she might describe me as mule-headed and a giant pain in the ass who has a hard time hitting the laundry basket with his dirty drawers. But overall I think she’d call me devoted to my team and the kids and coaches I work with, a great kisser, a decent fix-it guy, and a man devoted to her happiness.

Awwww. But we digress. What made you choose football coaching for a career? I’ve played football from the moment I was old enough to figure out what it was. I don’t know life without it. And I really love coaching. The x’s and o’s really drive me. And while I was nervous at first about being in charge of and responsible for so many young men and futures, whether it involves more football or just graduating from college, I really love it now.

What is your biggest fear? Not being able to get that dog I want, dang it. Seriously though, I do fear all the dangers inherent in this game. I won’t pretend that it’s 100% safe. I know too many of my fellow pro players who’ve retired with injuries including concussions. My biggest fear would be anything involving a debilitating injury for one of my players.

How do you relax? I watch baseball. It’s boring on one level, but also a statistical challenge on the other. And it’s one of Olivia’s favorite sports to watch. So we relax together.

Who is your favorite fictional character? I’m a huge fan of Jack Reacher. Love that guy.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? From my high school coach: Don’t take this too seriously. It’s game. But you’re only as good at as you want to be so put in the time and control what you can control.

Thanks for this, Hatch. Now we’re going to switch and chat with Liz for a moment.

How did it come to be that you and Desiree came together to write Numbers Game? I helped with a huge fundraiser for my kids’ school (Pioneer High) which is located across the street from The Big House, where Michigan plays football. Desiree is a Michigan alum and a fan of their football team. We invited the (then new) coach Jim Harbaugh and his brother John (my favorite NFL coach) to attend a Pioneer Hall of Fame Induction dinner and auction—John actually graduated from Pioneer and played on their football team. We had these cool commemorative footballs made and signed by both coaches so I made sure to get one for Desiree. I sent it to her as a total surprise which was my first lob over the net to get her to write a book with me!

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them?  This is my first book with The Wild Rose Press. Desiree has been with them awhile so we are thrilled that they agreed to publish it.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Right now, I’m judging books in the Orange County RWA contest so I have 4 books to read for them, but other than that, I’ve got “You Had Me at Hello” by Mhairi McFarlane ready to go, as well Queen Move by Kennedy Ryan, and the sequel to Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo.

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’ve got a new, second chance romance releasing in July, Backup Offer. It’s the final book in a long-running, super popular Stewart Realty series but is 100% stand along since it’s a “ten years later” look at a relationship between a pair of teens that fell apart. They’ve drifted apart as much as possible considering their families are so close but are destined to be together! Also, I’ll have a duet of chick lit novels coming from The Wild Rose Press in the fall PLUS a new installment of my Detroit Sports Network series: G.O.A.T.

 To purchase Numbers Game, go to:  https://books2read.com/NumbersGame

 A bit more about our feature authors:

Liz Crowe is a Kentucky native and graduate of the University of Louisville living in Central Illinois. She's spent her time as a three-continent expat trailing spouse, mom of three, real estate agent, brewery owner and bar manager, and is currently a social media consultant and humane society development director, in addition to being an award-winning author. With stories set in the not-so-common worlds of breweries, on the soccer pitch, inside fictional television stations and successful real estate offices, and even in exotic locales like Istanbul, Turkey, her books are compelling and told with a fresh voice. The Liz Crowe backlist has something for any reader seeking complex storylines with humor and complete casts of characters that will delight, at times frustrate, and always linger in the imagination long after the book is finished.

to contact Liz, go to:  

https://twitter.com/LizCroweAuthor

http://www.facebook.com/lizcroweauthor

https://www.instagram.com/lizcroweauthor/

https://www.bookbub.com/authors/liz-crowe

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4350864.Liz_Crowe

https://www.amazon.com/Liz-Crowe/e/B00573TC7M

http://www.lizcrowe.com

https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/r2a2q5


A bit about Desiree Holt:

USA Today best-selling and award-winning author Desiree Holt writes everything from romantic suspense and contemporary on a variety of heat levels up to erotic, a genre in which she is the oldest living author. She has been referred to by USA Today as the Nora Roberts of erotic romance, and is a winner of the EPIC E-Book Award, the Holt Medallion and a Romantic Times Reviewers Choice nominee. She has been featured on CBS Sunday Morning and in The Village Voice, The Daily Beast, USA Today, The (London) Daily Mail, The New Delhi Times and numerous other national and international publications. 

www.facebook.com/desireeholtauthor 

www.facebook.com/desiree01holt 

TWITTER  @desireeholt

 Pinterest: desiree02holt

 Google: https://g.co/kgs/6vgLUu www.desireeholt.com www.desiremeonly.com 

 Follow me on

BookBub https://www.bookbub.com/search?search=Desiree+Holt 

 Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Desiree- Holt/e/B003LD2Q3M/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1505488204&sr=1-2-ent 

 Signup for my newsletter and receive a free book:

https://desireeholt.com/newsletter/

4 comments:

  1. Love the character interview. Sounds like a fun story with a lot of character conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great story! Best on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to the hosts for having us and to you all for the great comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the book! Such a cute title!

    ReplyDelete