Monday, May 30, 2022

Prophecies and Promises by Alana Lorens

 When the ‘good’ man is bad, and the ‘bad’ man is good, how’s a young woman to choose?

      Tamsyn McKiernan thinks her dreams have come true. She’s engaged to a dashing Key West bachelor and finally in her widowed father’s good graces. But in her heart, she knows something’s wrong. She loves the ocean and the quiet pleasures of nature—so what does the aristocratic life she’ll lead truly hold for her? 

Mercenary captain Drake Ashton is neck deep in preparations for the Spanish-American War, running guns and other supplies to Cuban natives who want out from under their Spanish masters. He and his brother Freddie risk their lives daily, focused on saving his friends on the island. Nothing else matters but his mission.

A chance encounter with a spiny sea urchin brings the two together, and neither of their lives will ever be the same again.

 Wild Women Authors is pleased to feature Prophecies and Promises, a recent release out of the historical line for the Wild Rose Press and written by Alana Lorens. With Alana is Captain Drake Ashton who will go first.

Good morning, Captain. Let’s begin with where you are from. I grew up on a small coral rock house on the west shore of the Florida Keys, outside Islamorada.

Tell us a bit about Prophecies and Promises. Well, I haven’t quite finished it yet, but it seems to be a story about me deciding if I can allow love into my life, and whether the woman I love can love me as well.

What did you think the first time you saw Tamsyn McKiernan? We were on the beach and she was perfectly framed by the sunlight; she was absolutely beautiful.

What was your second thought? I was mostly yelling because I'd just been I’d just been stabbed by a sea urchin spine. Unbelievably painful. But Tamsyn dropped everything and rushed to get it out and get me on the road to health once again.

Do you feel it was love at first sight? Yes, especially when I put that together with the obeah woman’s prediction for me.

What do you like most about Tamsyn? She’s brilliant.  She has a wide base of knowledge in natural things, if not so much in all the ways of modern society in 1897. But at the same time, she hasn’t lost a childish curiosity—she wants to learn everything she can. I find that fascinating and compelling.

How would you describe her? She’s young, so she tends to be impulsive, which can be maddening. She loves her father very much, and I know she’s trying to please him as well as the rest of her society, but I can’t imagine that she can make him happy. She’s just as appealing when she’s dressed for a ball as she is with her hair let down, her skirts rolled up to her knees, walking through the tide’s edge, picking up shells.

How would she describe you? She probably thinks I’m a fool, since she’s always having to patch me up after some scrap or other. I probably would have died if she hadn’t saved me after the ambush at Matanzas. She seems happy when she’s around me, so maybe she’d say I bring her joy?

What made you choose being a mercenary captain for a career? I don’t know if I “chose” it as much as it was thrust upon me. When friend that my brother and I had made over the years on the Cuban island decided they wanted to be independent of Spanish rule, Freddie and I just naturally took it upon ourselves to find them weapons and other supplies and supports they’d need to accomplish their goal. Since then it’s grown into a full-time occupation!

What is your biggest fear? I feel like I have to take care of so many other people—I would hate myself if I let them down. They count on me.

How do you relax? I love to sit around an open fire on one beach or another, with my crew, singing and laughing, lubricated with plenty of rum.

Who is your favorite fictional character? Don Quixote. I believe that going after what is important to you, no matter the cost, is the best path one’s life can take.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? A captain who’s a good friend of mine encouraged me to let loose of my responsibilities in Cuba, now that America has entered the war and is looking out for my people. He told me then I’d be free to look out for what I really wanted—and he knew I wanted Tamsyn.

Thank you, Captain. Now we’d like to chat with Alana.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I’ve enjoyed Anne McCaffrey’s Pern books. She has a way of portraying those who are underdogs as somehow important and watching them achieve success is always gratifying. I hope I do the same with my characters.

Is there an event in your private life that you were able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Not so much a single event, but I lived just north of the Florida Keys in Homestead, Florida for a number of years and spent many happy hours in the Keys. Much of my worldbuilding here is taken right from things I’ve observed and enjoyed.

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? One of the other writers in my critique group. Kathy Otten, had been multi-published with The Wild Rose Press, so I thought I’d give them a chance. This is now my fifth book with them. My editor, Ally Robertson, and I have put out three books together!

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I’ve slowly been collecting all the new DUNE books written by Frank Herbert’s son. One of these days I’m going to begin at the new beginning (with the prequels) and blazed through the 30 or so volumes,

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’m currently working on another volume in the Pittsburgh Lady Lawyers series that I expect will be submitted sometime this fall. 

Alana brought an excerpt for us:

        It would be better if Drake was happy for Tamsyn’s good fortune. She’d not want for anything material as the wife of Winslow—no doubt, a beautiful house and gardens, a fine carriage, a husband whose future was financially secure.

His own fortunes lay along a much different path.

If Drake were to be caught by the Spaniards, it wasn’t likely he’d live to be tried for the crime back on the mainland. The Spanish were known for their quick tempers and sharp swords. The mercenary trade paid him well, for now, and if the buzzing rumors he’d heard on the Pickham veranda were true, war would come within the year. Guns were a prime commodity in time of war. He always carried rum when he returned from the islands, of course, and sugar and tropical fruits, to cover his real motives. He had not been interdicted yet. As young men often did, he played the odds and planned to beat them.

For the first time, however, that focus was shaken by thoughts of this woman.

What distinguished Tamsyn MacKiernan from the other women he’d met in a hundred different ports? Drake couldn’t put his finger on it. He just knew she appealed to his heart in a way that possessed him. She held an intriguing blend of strength and vulnerability, stomach ironclad in the face of blood yet timid as a lost waif left alone in the midst of the ball. He wanted to know her better.

But she was to be married. Even if he had been able to marry her, even though he had a proper home with a hired woman to maintain it, it was nothing compared with the empire Winslow would command in a few years. Drake knew he had no business thinking Tamsyn might prefer a lonely pirate to the golden boy.

Damnation!

To learn more about Alana Lorens and the stories she creates, go to:

Website      http://Alana-lorens.com

Facebook   https://www.facebook.com/AlanaLorens/

Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4829967.Alana_Lorens

Amazon Author Page

https://www.amazon.com/Alana-Lorens/e/B005GE0WBC/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

 Bookbub:   https://www.bookbub.com/authors/alana-lorens

 Twitter:  @AlexanderLyndi

 Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alexander_lyndi/

 Prophecies and Promises__Alana Lorens

 

To purchase Prophecies and Promises, go to:

  https://www.amazon.com/Prophecies-Promises-Alana-Lorens-ebook/dp/B09THTHV6H/ref=sr_1_5?qid=1647885952&refinements=p_27%3AAlana+Lorens&s=digital-text&sr=1-5&text=Alana+Lorens

 

Paperback:- https://www.amazon.com/Prophecies-Promises-Alana-Lorens/dp/1509241442/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1647885952&sr=1-5

 

B&N: www.barnesandnoble.com/w/prophecies-and-promises-alana-lorens/1141068092?ean=9781509241446

 

https://shop.aer.io/TheWildRosePress/p/Prophecies_and_Promises/9781509241446-11180?ni=true

 

Book Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFWs54EUJeU

2 comments:

  1. Love the excerpt - your hero sounds hero-worthy of the woman he is falling for.

    ReplyDelete