Wednesday, November 9, 2022

The Making of an African Priest

 In celebration of the release of Rogue the Durum, we asked author Steven J. Kolbe to speak on how he came to create Remy Mbombo, perhaps the most compelling of all the characters in his Ezra James mystery series. This is what he said:

The Making of an African Priest

Father Remy Mbombo is arguably my most complex character. From the scar running down his cheek to his nuanced approach with his parishioners, Remy refuses to fit into a box–and there are some good reasons for this.

Artful incongruity is an idea that I absolutely require of myself and of my writing students. When two things are incongruous, I say, it means they don’t fit easily together. Take a character who works for the IRS. Every morning he counts his toothbrush strokes, he counts his steps to work, and he does complex multiplication in his head. This is Harold Crick. Through the course of Stranger than Fiction, he begins hearing the voice of a literary narrator, learns to play guitar–a lifelong wish–and falls in love with an anarchist baker. None of these are characteristic of an auditor, but they’re believable because Crick is written and acted as a real person.

Likewise, I strive to make my characters multifaceted and real. The inspiration for Father Remy came from a writing exercise in Brian Kiteley’s book The 3 A.M. Epiphany. He advices writers to take two real people and merge their personalities, taking what makes sense from both to form a new real person. For Remy I took a priest and a former roommate from Senegal Africa.

My roommate was probably the most religious person I’d ever met. He rose every morning to lay out his prayer rug. Every night, he took out his subḥa, a kind of Islamic rosary. While I felt quite accomplished speaking English, a little Spanish (from home), and a little French (from school), my roommate spoke fluently in English, French, Wolof, and Arabic, and he was studying German for business. He also had so much gratitude for little things. It might seem too incongruous to merge a priest with a lay Muslim, but the parallels, as I have found, are numerous. Both are Abrahamic religions, both use rosaries in their meditative prayers, and both emphasize praying at specific hours of the day.

The priest I put most into Remy is one of the most open-minded and kind priests I’ve ever confessed to. When a friend read book one, she commented on several things she found unbelievable about Remy. “A priest would never say this or that or this.” I assured her that one would and in fact had.

In book one, I worked to make Remy more than just his job. His relationship with my primary detective, Ezra James, is where that develops the most. During slow times, they play games of sans voir chess, exchanging chess notation to launch assaults and mount defenses, and Remy helps Ezra process his divorce, figuring out how to move forward. In book two, I look at what made Remy the priest he is, specifically what gave him the distinctive scar that runs down his cheek–a story that takes us to the violent history of Rwanda.

 Follow me on Instagram @StevenJKolbe or visit my website at www.StevenJKolbe.com

 Where to find Rogue the Durum:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBDDN93R?_bbid=92109537&tag=individualbookpagesite-20

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rogue-the-durum-steven-j-kolbe/1141982790?ean=2940186631200

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely fascinating, the way you create characters, especially Remy. Actually both of the men who were your inspiration sound like wonderful people. Bet your writing students love class! all the Best, Steven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, thank you. Remy has been a great character to work with. As for my writing students, they're definitely a fun group, so the feeling is mutual!

    ReplyDelete