Friday, April 21, 2023

New Dreams by Ellen M. Parker

 Can a woman on her own trust the man with interesting stories?

 America beckons with opportunity during the 1850’s.

     Louisa Mueller, a baker’s daughter, arrives in Elm Ridge, Illinois with determination to learn English and work as a baker. Since the death of her sweetheart a year ago, she pushes aside thoughts of marriage. However, she’s intrigued by a fellow passenger who tells the most interesting stories.

     Desperate for a fresh start, a young thief takes the name Hans Hoffmann when a look-alike passenger dies during the trans-Atlantic passage. Vowing to be an honest man in America, Hans discovers temptation wears many disguises. Will the pair be rewarded as they attempt their new dreams in a strange land?

 Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome author Ellen Parker as she celebrates the release of New Dreams, a historical romance, recently released by the Wild Rose Press. With Ellen is Louisa Mueller who will go first.

Good morning, Louisa. Thank you for taking time out of your day to speak with us. Let’s begin with where you are from. I was born in the village of Hamm, Westphalia. You would know the place as Western Germany.

Tell us a bit about New Dreams. It is set in the year 1851 and tells the story of my journey to and first months living in Elm Ridge, Illinois.

What did you think the first time you saw Hans? I was astonished by how much he and another young man in the group looked alike. They could have been brothers—or twins.

What was your second thought? During our first actual conversation, I was impressed by his politeness, sincerity, and determination.

Do you feel it was love at first sight? Not exactly—I was intrigued but did not think beyond friendship.

What do you like most about Hans? He tells the most interesting stories about places he’s been and people he’s met along the way.

How would you describe him? Physically, Hans is ordinary height and has dark brown hair and eyes. He is gentle with horses.

How would he describe you? He tells me I am pretty, but I do not find anything extraordinary in my height of five foot, blue eyes, and honey-blonde hair. I think he likes to make me smile.

What made you choose baking for a career? I was raised in a bakery and can think of nothing better than the delicious smells of the trade. My father and uncle taught me. I never considered anything else.

What is your biggest fear? When my father died, I felt adrift in the world. No family was with me. The world in 1851 is a hazardous place for a young woman alone. I wish never to be in that position again.

How do you relax? Music and dancing—no matter how long and difficult the week has been, I can forget worries on the dance floor.

Who is your favorite fictional character? That is a difficult question. I think it would have to be from one of the Grimm’s Brothers Tales, perhaps Red Riding Hood.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My family taught me to treat everyone, even the most difficult of customers, with manners and kindness.

Thank you, Louisa. Now we’d like to chat with Ellen.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I enjoy movie, television, and books where the actual violence is “off screen” such as in the Midsomer Murders.

Is there an event in your private life that you were able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Two portions of my family made a journey similar to Louisa and Hans. They sailed from Europe to New Orleans and then up the Mississippi River.

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I first heard about The Wild Rose Press from fellow members at a RWA chapter meeting. I liked the idea that they would publish in both ebook and print on demand.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I want to read the most recent by Louise Penny and I’m always browsing around for both historical and contemporary romance.

Lastly, what’s up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’m working on a second historical set in Elm Ridge, Illinois. However, it’s not quite ready for submission so it’s impossible to give a date.

A bit more about our guest author: Raised in a household filled with books, it was only natural that Ellen Parker grew into an avid reader. She turned to writing as a second career and enjoys spinning the type of story which appeals to multiple generations. She encourages her readers to share her work with mother or daughter – or both. She currently lives in St. Louis. When not guiding characters to “happily ever after” she’s apt to be reading, walking in the neighborhood, or tending her tiny garden.

You can find her on the web at www.ellen-parker-writes.com

Website: www.ellen-parker-writes.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/ellenparkerwrites

Twitter: @eparkerwrites

 

To purchase New Dreams, go to:

Kindle: https://amzn.to/3vWydWE

Nook: https://bit.ly/3wR900t

 

 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful interview! I loved meeting Louisa and can't wait to meet Hans--which means I've got to move this book up on my TBR list. You are so lucky to have family stories like this to draw from, Ellen. I've really enjoyed your earlier books, and I look forward to this and to any future ones :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting story! Hope you have luck with it.

    ReplyDelete