Thursday, September 24, 2026

The Middle of Nowhere by Rita A. Popp

Bethany Jarviss—a smart, beautiful, single New Mexican in her early thirties—works for her family’s charitable foundation. When murder threatens to shake up the lives of people she loves, Bethany uses her sharp mind and engaging personality to solve crimes as an amateur detective.

Wild Women Authors is pleased to feature author Rita A. Popp and The Middle of Nowhere: book 3 in the Bethany Jarviss Mystery series recently released out of the Wild Rose Press. Up first is Bethany Jarviss.

Tell us a bit about your latest murder investigation in The Middle of Nowhere. I didn’t set out to solve a mystery; I only wanted a romantic reunion with my cowboy boyfriend, Nathan, at the Wyoming guest ranch where he’s a new wrangler. Then, someone is killed with a horseshoe, and Nathan is a prime murder suspect. Before the sheriff arrests my innocent guy, I aim to find the killer hiding in plain sight among the ranch’s owners, staff, and guests.

You’re the grants manager for The Jarviss Family Foundation. What made you choose that career? It’s satisfying work, having a hand in funding worthy projects all over New Mexico, such as daycare and senior centers, a college scholarship, and a pay-what-you-can café.

If you had to do all over again, would you stick with this career or do something different? I’d definitely start out working for the Foundation, which my father directs. But I’m not sure if it will be my lifelong job. Solving mysteries is much more exciting!

What is your biggest fear? Dad’s health is poor, and he’s itching to retire and pass the Foundation’s directorship to me. I’m not sure I could fill his shoes or would want to. I fear I’ll disappoint him if I say no, and if I say yes, I’ll find myself in a cushy position that won’t be very challenging in the long run.

Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Harriet Vane in the Lord Peter Wimsey novels. She’s a gutsy investigator and a perfect romantic and intellectual match for Lord Peter.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? “Never underestimate the power of a woman.” It’s the slogan of the former Ladies Home Journal magazine that my mom and I used to enjoy reading.

A bit about the author of the Bethany Jarviss Mysteries: Rita A. Popp has never found desiccated human bones while hiking, a murdered professor when she worked as a university writer and editor, or a victim killed by a horseshoe. But she has relished creating those inciting incidents for her Bethany Jarviss Mysteries. Rita writes at home in Colorado and at the New Mexico cabin she shares with her husband and their golden retriever, Agatha. She owns entire crumbling collections of books by Christie, Sayers, Allingham, and Marsh, and most of the Nancy Drews through number forty-three.

For more about Rita, go to https://ritapopp.com and www.facebook.com/rita.popp/.

What others are saying about this book: “There’s no shortage of secrets, hidden connections, red herrings, and fuel for speculation. Overall, The Middle of Nowhere is a treat for armchair detectives looking for some light reading.” -- Gabriel Santos for Readers’ Favorite Book Reviews

The Middle of Nowhere and the first two Bethany Jarviss Mysteries, The First Fiancée and The End of Promise, are available in paperback and ebook formats from Amazon.com and other retailers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment