Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Double Dipped by Terry Korth Fischer

            Accepting second d best is good for her career but first-grade teacher Retta Curt delays singing up for the disappointment. Given two weeks to reconsider her contract, she retreats to her Gram’s cottage on Moon Lake, the last place she felt contentment. But the cottage is derelict; her cousin, Julie, is distant; childhood beau Dean is bitter; and Sweet Picks, the family ice cream stand, is in danger of folding.

        Magruder, a surly newcomer, is buying, then neglecting properties until nothing remains of the idyllic lakeside community Retta remembers. When vandals target Sweet Picks, Retta’s dreams to recapture her happy childhood collapse, and the return to Mook Lake becomes a decision worse than accepting the teaching contract.

        Star-crossed, can she save the family business and rediscover happiness, or is Retta destined for a second-best future?

 Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back author Terry Korth Fischer as she celebrates the today’s release of Double Dipped, part of the One Scoop or Two series for the Wild Rose Press. With Terry is elementary school teacher, Retta Curt who will go first.

Good morning, Retta. Thanks for taking time away from Sweet Picks to chat with us. Tell us a bit about Double Dipped. I had a wonderful childhood, spending every summer vacation at my Gram’s cottage in Moon Lake, Wisconsin. My cousin, Julie, and I worked at the family's ice cream concession stand, Sweet Picks, where we were the envy of our friends. Free shakes and hours of carefree adventures were among the benefits. As an adult, I longed for the same idyllic contentment. So when my teaching contract changed, I decided to return to the lake and reevaluate my life choices before accepting the new assignment. As it turned out, Moon Lake wasn’t the same place I’d enjoyed as a child. There was a new man in town, and Sweet Picks was in danger of going out of business—if it even opened for business that summer season.

What made you pick teaching as a career? It wasn't about teaching. On the contrary, I love children and enjoy being around them. Kids, especially the younger ones, are spontaneous and innocent. Their eyes light up with discoveries, and they have an earnest willingness to share. Teaching allowed me to be part of that wonderment.  

Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stick with being an educator or do something different? I would still feel the same way about kids, so I’d do it again. But maybe in a different place, somewhere closer to home and those I love.

What is your biggest fear? Failure. I made a mess of my life before I returned to Moon Lake. I certainly don’t want to make that a tradition.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Gram always said, “Roll with the punches.” She meant, be satisfied with what you have. So I needed to stop comparing my adult woes to my childhood pleasures. It turns out I have plenty of adult happiness and a parcel of caring people with which to share the experiences.   

Thanks for this, Retta, and good luck with the new road in your career. Now we’d like to spend a bit of time with Terry.

Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, [or both] have had a major impact on your writing? I absolutely love the Dick Francis crime novels written between 1970-2010. His writing entertained me with unusual professions and unfamiliar situations by employing descriptions and dialogue that rendered them completely relatable. I strive to accomplish a similar familiarity between my characters and readers. 

With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? Double Dipped started as a short story and grew into a novella. The original version contained many of the same characters. However, it had a much different mystery and outcome. I needed to research after deciding to give Cousin Julie prosopagnosia, the inability to recognize human faces. Individuals with prosopagnosia know they are looking at someone but cannot recognize them by their facial features, even people they know well. I thought it would make an exciting flaw and create a bit of intrigue.

Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them, what influenced you to submit to them, how is the submission process, and what is the turn-around time from date of the query to date of release? The first two books in my mystery series, Rory Naysmith Mysteries, Gone Astray, and Gone Before, were published with The Wild Rose Press. I couldn’t have asked for a more supportive, responsive, or dedicated team, so when I learned TWRP had a summer-read series, One Scoop or Two, I wanted to jump on board.

What are you reading right now? I usually read for pleasure or distraction. Right now, The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.

What's next for you? Rory Naysmith Mysteries, book 3, Gone Crazy, is almost complete. I hope to have it out in early 2023. Your readers should know the audio version of Double Dipped, narrated by Susanna Barbetta, is available. It was so wonderful to hear this manuscript read—or should I say performed—that I’ve fallen in love with audiobooks. Perhaps I’ll give Rory this opportunity.

To purchase Double Dipped, go to: Amazon, Barnes & Noble

To learn more about Terry Korth Fischer and the stories she creates go to:

Website: https://terrykorthfischer.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/terryiswriting

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TerryIsWriting

Amazon Author Page: www.amazon.com/author/terrykorthfischer

Goodreads Author: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14349440.Terry_Korth_Fischer

BookBub Author: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/terry-korth-fischer

Newsletter: https://tinyletter.com/TerryKorthFischer

 

                                                           

 

5 comments: