Monday, September 4, 2023

Wedding Vows for Hire

 Falling for her again might be his undoing.


         Elizabeth Jones has changed everything about herself—right down to her name. She’s quashed the naïve, overweight girl she was at nineteen. Now, she was a savvy, sophisticated woman with a unique and thriving business that, if the details came out, could ultimately ruin her.

The young woman who left Carson Hill standing at the altar ten years ago is now scamming his best friend, and no one can stop her but him. But coming face to face with her again is like a punch to the gut. Gone is the shy, curvy woman he once loved and believed loved him.

Falling for her again just might be his undoing.

 

This week Wild Women Authors will feature Mia Augustine and her Fiery Billionaire Nights series. Today’s story, Wedding Vows for Hire, has a plot involving long lost lovers reunited under less than positive circumstances. With author Mia is Elizabeth Jones, owner of Weddings to Go, who will go first.

Thank you for joining us, Elizabeth—or do you prefer Bindi? Elizabeth is fine. I’ve haven’t been known as Bindi in ten years.  

I can see you’re uncomfortable so we’ll just move on. Do you believe in true love? I do not. I suppose I did at one time… but no longer.

I’m sorry. It sounds as if you experienced something painful. Hasn’t everyone?

Okaaaay. Let’s talk about your business. Weddings to Go? What you like to know?

I understand you plan weddings? But how is a wedding to go? Doesn’t that breed confusion for the branding? All I can tell you is that we started out as a wedding planning business, but New York City has a billion wedding planners. We inadvertently shifted to something a bit different. I’m afraid I can’t elaborate. Our clients are required to sign a very specific non-disclosure agreement. I can hardly speak to the details.

Okaaaay. Have you ever run away? That should be safe enough. Once. Ten years ago.

I sense I’m striking out here. Do you believe in second chances?

When Elizabeth only gives a bitter laugh, we ask, Are you a risk taker?

Now, that I can answer. I didn’t use to be. But when you move from a community as small as Bloomington, South Dakota to Manhattan, well, that’s risky, isn’t it? And, while I can’t really reveal the secrets behind our business, I can tell you, that if the details were to emerge, we would be utterly ruined.

That is interesting. We thank you for spending time with us, Elizabeth and wish you luck with your enterprise. We’d like to speak with Mia.

 

What’s your favorite thing about being an author? The creativity, your own schedule, the networking. I’m not a shy person. You would think the lockdown would have deterred me, but it did not. I’m busier now than I’ve ever been. I can’t believe how busy. But I love every part of it.

Tell us one story related to your writing endeavors.  Amuse us, make us cry, make us cringe or make us smirk – your choice. Well, I was working for a large corporation. I had been with the company nine years before I started writing. I began in 2006. During our lunch breaks I would talk about these stories I was working on, and no one got it. I hadn’t yet found RWA at that time. They would look at me as if I was crazy. Not only that, but they would cut off my conversation and go back to talking about raising their families. Which I got. Except, my only child was 18 and about to graduate from high school. I was little past that place in my life. They just didn’t understand. And, when I found “my people,” I found my home.  

What’s the most challenging thing about being an author? Ironically, it’s the same as my favorite reasons: Do I worry that I won’t have a story—well, not that. But the schedule? There is no one to hold me accountable to sitting down and getting the story pumped out. The marketing is tough, but I'm learning it. But, yes, the marketing has to be the most challenging part. Oh, and reviews. Reviews are hard to get too. The option is to quit, and that isn’t an option for me. 😊

 

Mia brought an excerpt for us:

“God, Elizabeth. This has got to stop. I have a bad feeling about this one.”

Samantha Felix was Elizabeth’s best friend. Sam paced the spacious living room of their two-bedroom Manhattan apartment, located off Lexington and 35th in Midtown. The fifth floor of the Marquis building was as high as they could afford but it worked for their purposes.

Elizabeth sipped her wine. “We only need this one last job and we’ll be set.”

“But none of the girls are available. They’re all married.”

Elizabeth wrinkled her nose. That was an issue, but she had a solution. As usual. “I’m going to step in myself this time.”

“Are you crazy?” Samantha stopped her pacing and gaped at Elizabeth. “No! It’s too risky.”

“It will be fine,” she said with a confidence she didn’t feel. In the five years they’d managed this business, no one had found them out. Samantha was an attorney who specialized in contract law. She handled that end of their lucrative business. Three of Elizabeth’s friends from her hometown of Bloomington and one friend from college had all stepped in as needed. The money was good. Great. The money was great. But to date, Elizabeth hadn’t had to step into the spotlight due to a disastrous scenario that happened several years ago. The entire fiasco had given her the idea for their LLC: Weddings to Go.

On the front it was a wedding planning business. But beneath the surface it was much, much more. The other thing in her favor? She looked nothing like she did ten years ago.

 To purchase Wedding Vows for Hire, go to:

AMZ: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PJ3XSNT/

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/wedding-vows-for-hire

B&N: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wedding-vows-for-hire-mia-augustine/1143263208

Payhip: https://payhip.com/b/UfCBk

Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/books/wedding-vows-for-hire-bloomington-by-mia-augustine

 

Mia Augustine can be found at:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100089614103041

Instagram: https://instagram.com/miaaugustineauthor

TikTok: https://tiktok.com/@kathylwheeler

Website: https://kathylwheeler.com

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. An interesting and mysterious premise - can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete