Monday, June 15, 2020

Hunting the Devil by Suanne Schafer

Wild Women Authors is thrilled to introduce author Suanne Schafer, Dr. Jessica Hemings, and Hunting the Devil, “. . .part global-thriller and part justice-seeking novel, [it] is the gut-wrenching story of an American physician caught up in one of the most grotesque moments in world history, the Rwandan genocide. . .” First up is Jessica.
Where are you from? Like Katherine Hepburn, I was born in Hartford, Connecticut, but my family moved to Gladwyn, Pennsylvania, just outside of Philadelphia. Hepburn went to college at Bryn Mawr while I attended Swarthmore, a campus fourteen miles to the east. People tell me I sound like her, but I don’t hear it myself.
Tell us a bit about Hunting the Devil. My long-time live-in lover, Tom Powell, was unfaithful just before we were to get married. Devastated, I volunteered for a medical mission in Rwanda. Unfortunately, I am biracial, and my Tutsi-like features plunged me into the worst of Rwandan Genocide. I became trapped in the enmity between Hutus and Tutsis. Dr. Cyprien Gatera, my superior, took an instant dislike to me. I never knew if it was because I was female or because I looked Tutsi. A Hutu radical, he eventually commandeered my clinic, slaughtered my patients and murdered my two adopted sons, then forced me to treat his wounded.
     I escaped his clutches and survived three weeks in hiding before finding refuge at Benaco refugee camp in Tanzania. There, I fed on dreams of revenge. With the help of Michel Fournier, a French lawyer-turned-war-correspondent, and Dr. Tom Powell, my long-time ex-lover, I searched for that bastard, Gatera. When an unknown informant passed information to me about my nemesis, I returned to Rwanda—against my better judgment and despite warnings from the Belgian Secret Service that Gatera planned to assassinate me. In our final showdown, I had to decide if revenge was best served cold—or not at all.
What did you think the first time you saw Michel Fournier? He had a long, hooked nose and looked like he could be a Saracen riding across the desert. 
Excellent description. What was your second thought? I was too vulnerable from being betrayed by Tom, that I didn’t want to get involved.
So it wasn't love at first sight? Not at all.
What do you like most about him? He seemed to care about me in a kind way. I knew he was a reporter, but he never seemed to be reporting on me. I was attracted to him, not in a sexual sense, but as a comrade-in-arms. Though later, we had sex, not so much because we were attracted to each other, but we survived such horrible things in the genocide that we need to feel something that wasn’t war-related, something intimate. After that I wasn’t sure if I was in love with him or not, but it didn’t matter—he was married and had a baby on the way.
How would you describe him? Michel Fournier was an international war correspondent. Silver strands ran through his temples and the scruff on his face. He was tall, at least six-three, with a looseness of limb that was somehow elegant. Perhaps being French gave him the sartorial grace to pull off the slouch hat and lumpy safari-type vest filled with camera lenses and filters. His long narrow nose appeared to have been broken. He had such an exotic look, I immediately envisioned him in a burnoose, waving a scimitar, and riding a horse across the desert.
How would he describe you? We first met when I was working at the Benaco Refugee Camp. First, he’d have seen a petite woman examining a pregnant patient’s abdomen. He’d think I appeared competent and reassuring as I handled the mother-to-be. He’d also say I wasn’t just thin, but maigre, that under-nourished kind of skinny, with hollows beneath my cheekbones, no flesh to soften my collarbones, wrists of pure bone, all covered with too-big clothing topped wild uncontrollable curls and the most phenomenal eyes he’d ever seen, eyes the blue-green of the Mediterranean Sea in Cannes, his childhood home.
What made you choose medicine as a career? I read Albert Schweitzer’s Out of My Life and Thought when I was a teenager. I decided I wanted to be him when I grew up and be a doctor in service of humanity.
What is your biggest fear? Failing to fight injustice.
How do you relax? What’s relaxation? I’m a doctor with a horrible schedule, no time off. I’m also more than a bit obsessive-compulsive, so relaxation is rare. When I do have down-time I read medical journals and nonfiction on almost any subject. I also run.
Who is your favorite fictional character? Dr. Zhivago. I loved the book and loved the movie even more. Omar Sharif is yummy.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? To not go back to Rwanda. But I didn’t listen—and paid the price.

Jessica, thank you for spending time with us. We wish you all the best for the future. Now, we'd like to chat with Suanne.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Camelot. I read T.H. White’s book The Once and Future King about a million times and have seen the movie at least fifteen times. I love the scope of pictures in the 1960s like David Lean’s Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia. Romeo and Juliet by Franco Zeffirelli. And, of course, Star Wars and the Jurassic Park series!
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? The mother of a Black son, I have a vested interested in racism and its long-term effects on people. I fulfilled a bucket list item by going on a three-week safari in Tanzania and took along my fifteen-year-old biracial son. He had some vague notion of connecting with his African roots. After the trip, he seemed to wrestle more with his dual identity. A self-confessed Oreo who’d never been in a place where Blacks were a majority, he struggled internally with his racial identity. I wrote about his discomfort in a personal essay that was published by Brain Child Magazine. Soon, I realized there was a book waiting to be written. I took his discomfort and amplified it. Thus the seed of Hunting the Devil was planted.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I am so far behind on my ARCS and TBRs that I finally sat down and made a list of them by publication date. I’m trying to make a point to read a current one, a middle-aged one, and an ancient one every week. This week’s list: Master Class by Dalcher, The Crescent Stone by Mikalatos, The Half-Drowned King by Hartsuyker.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’ve just gotten the rights back to A Different Kind of Fire, my first novel, so I’m reading it with an eye to revising and putting out a second edition. I’m also revising Thunder, Rain and Ashes, my third novel, and will hopefully release it this fall. I’m also writing book #4, a southern Gothic novel about a teenager confined to an insane asylum in the 1890s.

To learn more about Suanne Schafer and the stories she creates go to:
https://suanneschaferauthor.com
https://www.instagram.com/suanneschafer/

We have an excerpt from Hunting the Devil:

Kirehe, Rwanda, April 11, 1994
Powered by a potent mixture of hatred and fear, Jess raced up one hill, down the next in the pitch-black night. She couldn’t stop. Branches sliced her arms and legs. Stones bruised her soles. With every gasp, a side stitch lanced through her right ribs.
Jess glanced back. With that distraction, her feet tangled. She stumbled down an embankment. Her feet fought for purchase on the water-slicked slope. Rocks rolled beneath her, their rumble audible above the rain. While sliding down the gully on her belly, she grabbed a tree trunk to break her fall. She pulled herself semi-up-right and clutched her aching sides. As she caught her breath, she glanced around. The thick brush surrounding her provided good cover. She could rest a moment.
After making so much racket, she held her breath and listened. No sounds of pursuit. She wasn’t sure when she’d last heard the baying of the dogs tracking her. May- be her pursuers had given up and returned to her clinic. For the moment, she was safe.
She let her racing heart slow. Only then did she realize her right hand was empty. She’d lost the photograph of her children during her plunge. Darkness masked the surrounding landscape. She’d never find it now. Her search would have to wait ’til first light. She closed her hand, now as empty as her heart.
Two years ago, when Dr. Jessica Hemings had volunteered for a medical mission, she never dreamed she’d be fleeing for her life among the mille collines, the thousand hills of Rwanda. Now, to survive, she had to get as far as possible from her clinic in Kirehe. The Interahamwe, the Rwandan paramilitary group, lay behind her. To the east, the Rusumo Falls Bridge that spanned the Kagera River led to Tanzania—and safety.

To purchase Suanne's books, go to:


Hunting the Devil video trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1rjKomAJU

A Different Kind of Fire video trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpuI1yCGpe0




No comments:

Post a Comment