Monday, June 8, 2020

New Banker In Town by Susan Payne

     Wild Women Authors welcomes back Susan Payne with New Banker in Town, the latest offering in her popular Welcome to Sweetwater series, released by the Wild Rose Press. Accompanying Susan is Colette Dubois, photographer.

Where are you from, Colette? A plantation outside of New Orleans, Louisiana.
Tell us a bit about New Banker in Town. I have recently found the lovely little town of Sweetwater, Kansas, where I set-up a photography studio.  I was searching for a prosperous town needing my services and I packed up everything in Chicago and went west.  I was settling in very well when I found the new banker everyone was expecting was, in fact, a man I thought lost to me.  I had been told he had died on a battlefield.   
What did you think the first time you saw Paul Weaver? Well, I was a girl when I first met him. His older brother, Phillip, and Paul rode over one day.  It was a young girl’s crush that grew to a young woman’s love.
What was your second thought? That he was perfect.  For me, that is.  But when it came to his brother, Paul couldn’t see the truth. Phillip joined the Confederates right away.  Paul thought the war could be prevented if men went to the negotiating table.  WhenPhillip was killed, Paul felt guilty and joined the same regiment.  I never saw him again.  Later, news came of Paul’s death and I fell apart. 
Did you feel it was love at first sight? Yes, for me.  I believe it was the same for Paul although he didn’t love me enough to keep from going to war.
What do you like most about him? He is very steadfast.  In his beliefs, in his loyalty, in his love.
How would you describe him? He is intelligent, diligent, trustworthy.  Those qualities saved him during the war.  Now they make him an excellent businessman.
How would he describe you? I’m sure head-strong would come in there somewhere.  Strong willed.  He had trouble believing in my loyalty, but he has come around to believing so now.
What made you choose photography as a career? I wanted to capture history.  I took photographs of what the south was when I left, as I left.  Later, I took photographs of Chicago first growing and then recovering from the Great Fire.  It was another sad time in my life.  One reason for me searching for a smaller town.
What is your biggest fear? That I won’t be able to complete my tasks.  The reason I came west with my cameras and equipment.  Everything is changing and I want to capture that.  Both the old and the new.
How do you relax? Drinking a little wine and paging through my photograph albums.  Remembering where I was at the time.  How things smelled or felt while I took them.
Who is your favorite fictional character? I prefer real life heroines.  Mary Todd Lincoln would be my choice although as a one-time southern slave owner it may seem strange. 
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? A voodoo priestess told me I was stronger than I realized and if I were to succeed to look no further than a mirror for help.

Thank you, Colette. We wish you many good wishes in your new life with Paul in Sweetwater. Now, we’d like to chat with Susan.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I read books about Lincoln and began to get a feel for the people involved.  Common people as well as officers on both sides.  I often bring the War Between the States into my stories because it was a divisive point in history. Our Now hinges on what happened then.  It could have gone so many other ways, but that is another story.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I incorporate many things from my life into my writings.  I enjoy history and historical items so I add them in when I feel it is appropriate. In this story, it was the newer photography methods rather than the tintype used during the Civil War.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? The Wild Rose Press was suggested because they did both independent publishing as well as regular.  They have been wonderful to work with and sincerely want to help all their authors prosper.  A great group with lots of ideas to help a writer succeed.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile?  Letters and Lies by Colleen L. Donnelly through Wild Rose Press is newest on my list.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I have an exciting 2020.  A Regency called The Persistent Marquess is out on July 15th.  Forever Kind of Woman, a story of a woman dedicated to helping others through new medical procedures will be released this summer as well. To accomplish her plans, she moves to Forever, Texas to marry a man who has since fallen in love with another woman.  Also, around September, a Regency Christmas anthology will be released with three short stories.

To learn more about Susan and the books she creates, go to:
Website:   www.authorsusanpayne.com  
e-mail:     authorspayne@gmail.com

To purchase the Sweetwater series, go to:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble





2 comments:

  1. Great interview! Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on all the books coming out. That's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete