Monday, June 22, 2020

Love's New Beginnings

     Charlene Walker's life as a concert pianist is in shambles. First, her grandfather died, a mugging left her with a broken arm, her boyfriend manager ran off with her savings, and now, she's learned she's inherited an apple orchard business and a partner she doesn't want or trusts.
     The last thing Logan Taylor wants is a new partner, especially a woman. He doesn't trust easily. He believes, once her arm has healed, she'll leave him and the business just like his wife did after the birth of their son.
     Over time, Charlene learns everything isn't as it appears. Forced to work together, they come to an understanding, which grows into friendship. Is it possible that they both can obtain their goals and find love, too? And then, because of another accident, news she never wanted to hear forces her to make different decisions, sending her into a new beginning.

Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back author Diana Stout and concert pianist turned reluctant orchard owner Charlene Walker from Diana's recently released contemporary romance: Love's New Beginnings. Charlene is up first.
Where are you from? New York City, but for the next six months, I'm living in Willow Junction, Michigan.
Tell us a bit about Love's New Beginnings. I'm a concert pianist and had to cancel a tour because I'd been mugged, ending up with a concussion and a broken arm. While in the hospital, my grandfather who lives in Willow Junction, Michigan died. I wasn't able to attend his funeral, which saddened me. Because I was inheriting his estate, I flew to Willow Junction in a private plane—all arranged by my mentor, who is also my conductor and manager for the tour I was on—my first. As a result, I brought my two talking parrots. I never liked leaving them home alone when I traveled and having just come back from a long tour where I did have to leave them, I brought them to keep me company.
     In Willow Junction, I learn I have inherited all of Gramps' personal belongings, house, business and a partner. Gramps left the business to both of us and I have to stay in Willow Junction or I will lose everything. I need the money I can get from selling the house and the business, so I don't dare leave. Since I can't play with a broken arm, it isn't that much of a hardship to stay.
     What I didn't expect was the day-to-day close proximity to Logan and that he is fighting me on selling the business. We're being forced to work together.
What did you think the first time you saw Logan Taylor? I met him at the lawyer's office that first time. He had the bluest eyes I've ever seen and that he was as tall, strong, and sturdy as a Sequoia tree. At least, that was my first impression as I sat in the chair looking up at him. Even Paul Newman would have been jealous of his blue eyes. His deep voice surprised me, and when he was nearby, he smelled of chocolate covered cherries. One wickedly handsome package.
What was your second thought? That I had met him before, but at that first meeting, I couldn't remember from where. I will remember later.
Was it love at first sight? No. Not at all. We were adversaries from that first meeting. We both want different things for the business. It's been a struggle from the very beginning.
What do you like most about him? That he doesn't give up and that every layer of him is a surprise.
How would you describe him? At first, I thought he was cold and withdrawn. Now, I find him to be sensitive and caring.
How would he describe you? Stubborn, yet helpful. A pain in his ass probably. The last thing he expected to land on his business doorstep.
What made you choose becoming a concert pianist as a career? I loved music. I grew up with a piano. I love playing as often as I can. Practicing is play. I never tire of it. And then, when I met the Maestro who became my mentor, he said I was a natural. He was the one who enticed me to do the tours.
What is your biggest fear? That I'll never get to play again. The break in my arm was a nasty break. The doctors have warned me that I might never be able to play again, but I don't believe them.
How do you relax? Normally, it would be at the piano. Here in Willow Creek, I'm going through Gramps' house, cleaning out cupboards and closets, getting rid of the things I don't want. With only one good arm, everything takes me twice as long as I'd like. Plus, I've noticed that I tire easily. No doubt because of the accident and having come off a long tour.
Who is your favorite fictional character? Anna Karenina. I like her grit.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? That gifts come in strange packages and that we shouldn't question why we receive them. It's all about what we do with them. Gramps used to tell me that all the time the summer I stayed with him. He would have said my broken arm was a gift. It was also the summer when I first met Logan.

We thank you for taking time away from the orchard, Charlene. Now, we'd like to chat with Diana.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Growing up, I read a lot of books and watched a lot of old movies. One of my favorites, a black and white movie, was The Uninvited, a Gothic-like ghost story, starring Ray Milland. I had read the book by Dorothy Macardle. My mother, seeing me reading it, told me about the movie. I love ghost stories like The Univited and time travel stories and movies, as well. Somewhere in Time is probably my all-time favorite time-travel movie, and it was filmed here in Michigan on Mackinac Island, which I enjoy visiting. It's famous for having no automobiles, only horse and buggies in the summer and snowmobiles in winter.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? This novel is set in Willow Creek, a fictitious community in Calhoun County, Michigan. I was raised in Marshall, a nearby community setting for this novel, along with a couple of its restaurants—namely The Stagecoach Inn and Cornwell's Turkeyville. At forty, I moved to Florida, then South Georgia, but would return ten years later, first to Battle Creek, then Kalamazoo.
Once I retired, I returned to Marshall for a multitude of reasons and thoroughly enjoy being back home. For such a small community, it's a happening community with a historic downtown and the second largest historical district in the United States, with over 850 architectural buildings from the 19th and 20th century. Marshall's annual Historical Home Tour is mentioned in the book, along with a few other area events. Basically, I brought home into this novel.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? This book was first published by Avalon Books, with whom I had already published. Today, I'm an indie publisher. Having the rights back, I changed the book's title, the cover, updated the story, corrected all the errors that the publisher missed, and have republished it through my own company Sharpened Pencils Productions LLC.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Another pile of genre books on my TBR pile are history novels, especially those about Great Britain's royalty, anything Arthurian, and that of the Medici family. Five books that I want to read are The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory, Stonehenge by Bernard Cornwell, (both being favorite authors), The Forever Queen by Helen Hollick, The Queen's Conjurer by Benjamin Woolley, and My Just Desire by Anna Beer.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? Currently, I'm still writing and editing my Laurel Ridge novella series of seven romances. After publishing the first one, and while writing the third one, thinking the second was ready for publication, I discovered I was writing myself into a corner. Not good news for the remaining stories; so, I decided to write all seven first drafts before publishing the second one—which I hope will be this fall—to ensure I wasn't making plot, setting, or time line mistakes that readers would no doubt catch.
     After that I have several projects to choose from: a historical drama based on a mid-1800 event, a mystery, a horror, or a time-travel. All four projects are screaming me first, me, me, me!

FOLLOW DIANA AT:

Diana brought an excerpt from Love's New Beginnings:

Out on the sidewalk, Logan waited for her.
Once she spotted him, he saw her hesitate. Charlene Walker, world-renown pianist, looked just like her publicity photos. Picture perfect. The forest green silk suit hugged her lush curves, the breeze ruffling the smooth material tight against those curves, the skirt hugging her thighs. Earlier, it'd been difficult keeping his gaze on Norton when he'd rather watch her skirt creep up her thigh. He was both relieved and crushed when she had jumped up, those legs no longer tantalizing him. Now a strand of brown hair had escaped the confines of the bun at the nape of her neck that was her signature hairdo. Every picture Charlie had ever shown him and those he saw on the covers of magazines, she always had that bun.
He wondered what her hair looked like down.
Coming out of the door and coming down the steps, she looked frail, her hand clasping the handrail in a death grip. For just an instant, he considered stepping forward and helping her.
Then he saw her lift her chin and straighten her spine, a purposeful look in her brown eyes.
He didn't want to care one hoot about this woman even if she was his partner. The first chance he had, he was buying her out. Yet, there was something about her that attracted him. He couldn't stop watching her. He felt like an over-stretched rubber band, the tension he felt inside so taut, he thought he'd snap.
With precision and grace unlike anything he'd seen before, she walked toward him, then stopped. She had to. He blocked the sidewalk.
He looked down at her. No bigger than a child, he thought, slight and obviously tired, but she looked ready to do battle. "We have to talk," he said.
"I agree," she replied. "I want to know your intentions, your plans, and what kind of influence you had over Gramps."
Logan squinted his eyes. Of all the raw, rotten—
"Right now isn't a good time. I've got to be out of the motel by noon, and it's—," Charlene glanced at her watch. "—nearly that already. The boys are going to chew me out for leaving them alone that long. Can you meet me at Gramps' house, say in two hours? It's the best I can offer."
"Fine. I've got some repairs to finish anyway." He knew he sounded waspish, but at this moment, he didn't care. He could be just as short but polite with her as she was with him.
"Good. I'll see you then." She started to move forward, but couldn't. "Excuse me."
Forced to step aside, he stared after her. Darn, if she wasn't great to look at as she walked away. He should be riled at the high-handed way she had accused him of manipulating Charlie. Fortunately, he'd had lots of practice thanks to Charlie—and Beth—on how to control his temper and how to bide his time. Charlene didn't know it yet, but she was just like the old man. Logan knew how to handle her. There was plenty of time to straighten things out. Straighten her out, too, if he had anything to say about it.


3 comments:

  1. First, your hometown sounds awesome. I would love to visit the historical district. I would think that center would give you much writing inspiration! Your book sounds wonderful. Charlene sounds very interesting, and I like how she described Logan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing a series is so tricky! I loved hearing about how you're handling the task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this book so much, especially since the heroine is a musician. I can't imagine reaching the heights Charlene did and not being able to play again. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete