Friday, July 14, 2023

Landing on Her Feet by Kim Janine Ligon

 Six years ago, Kat Russell narrowly escaped death at Dirk Crowe’s hands. Now, he’s out of prison. To protect her family, she must flee Philadelphia—the only home she’s ever known—with her five-year-old son, Timmy. But is Wisconsin far enough away to escape evil?

Chase Merrick, father of Timmy’s new best friend, wants to help. What is Kat hiding? Why does she insist she must face whatever it is alone? When can Kat stop constantly looking back over her shoulder?

Will secrets and shame stop her from accepting Chase’s protection? Or unite them in the face of danger to keep their sons safe?

 Wild Women Authors welcomes author Kim Janine Ligon and Landing on Her Feet, a contemporary romantic suspense, released by the Wild Rose Press. With Kim is Dr. Chase Merrick who will go first.

Good morning, Chase. Thank you for taking time to speak with us. Let’s start with where you are from.  I’m a hometown boy. I was born and raised here in Lansdale, Wisconsin. I went to medical school in Boston and married a woman from there. When I got out of medical school there was an opportunity to come home to practice. My wife was willing to move to a small town since we were expecting. It’s a great place to raise kids. And my mom is here. She would never have understood if we hadn’t come home.

Tell us a bit about Landing On Her Feet. It’s the story about my life changing completely when Katrina Russell moved to town from Philadelphia with her five year old son, Timmy. He instantly became my five year old son, Trevor’s, best friend. As parents of best friends we were thrown together a lot. Those boys would live together if we’d let them. Did I mention I’m a widower? I haven’t even looked at any one since I lost Libby when Trevor was born. Suddenly, that all changed. But Katrina is afraid of something. She’s always looking over her shoulder and doesn’t want to get close to anyone. I’m trying to help, but it’s hard when she puts up so many barriers. The book’s about that and a lot more.

What did you think the first time you saw Katrina? The first time I didn’t really get a good look at her because she literally ran into me—her nose into my chest. She was so embarrassed she didn’t even look up. She apologized and rushed out of the diner. I noticed she was with a young boy and Emma Ritterskamp, my mother’s best friend.

What was your second thought? I wondered why someone from Philadelphia would move all the way to Wisconsin to be a waitress?

Do you feel it was love at first sight? Not really. But it was some kind of attraction I hadn’t felt in so long, it surprised me. I’m pretty sure Katrina was fighting any such notion, especially in the beginning.

What do you like most about Katrina? She has an incredible amount of compassion and patience. I see it every day when she deals with sometimes unkind customers. Her smile would brighten anyone’s day.  

How would you describe her? She’s a great mom, incredibly kind person, and truly loves people. But she’s afraid. Her secrets make her shut down instead of reaching out. And she’s beautiful from the inside out. Her good looks just complete the package.

How would Katrina describe you? A good dad. A good son. Too impatient to move our relationship forward. That I haven’t lived kind of life she has so I shouldn’t be so quick to want to be with her. She likes that I’m taller than she is.

What made you choose medicine for a profession? I love helping people. I always have. I don’t remember it ever being a thought out conscious choice, but I knew I was going to medical school after college. It’s a very rewarding profession. General practice in a small town means you know lots of people. I treat three generations of some families.

What is your biggest fear? Losing my family.

How do you relax? My secret pleasure is riding my motorcycle. I love to take the long way to wherever I need to go so I can enjoy the ride a little longer. I like to teach my son things like fishing and baseball. I like pretty much anything outside. I spend so much of my work time inside offices, hospitals, and emergency rooms.

Who is your favorite fictional character? P.G. Wodehouse’s Uncle Fred. He always makes me laugh and there are times that is much needed.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? “Go out and play when the sun is out, it might not be tomorrow” from my mom. I’m glad I lived my life with Libby with those words in mind because the rain came far too soon.

We thank you for taking time out of your schedule, Chase. Now we’d like to chat with Kim.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I didn’t read “Little Women” until I was in my twenties. It resonated with me. I liked the idea of writing about your family.

Is there an event in your private life that you were able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I grew up in a small Wisconsin town. I have family members who have triumphed as single parents and I’ve seen their challenges. I come from a family of seven girls and three boys. My mom managed my dad’s practice while being a mom, brownie leader, 4H leader, and teaching us to knit, sew, cook. I have lots of strong women role models to draw from to create Kat and for that matter, Emma and Claire. My dad was a veterinarian and, like Dr. Merrick, knew lots of people all over town. And they knew us, not by name, but knew we were one of Doc’s girls. 

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? The Wild Rose Press was the perfect place for my stories to land and Dianne Rich who has been my editor for both books is extraordinary. She took my first book and could see through my new author chaos to coax my best story out and into print. She continued to be a great contributor to my final work on this book. I so appreciate what I have learned from her and her amazing guiding patience.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I read and enjoy all sorts of books by fellow Roses that I had no idea I’d like because they were in genres I didn’t normally read. My Kindle is bursting at the seams with TBRs. On my nightstand is John Hersey’s “The Wall.” I read physical books before bed or I’d never be able to sleep.

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’m into the final draft of another Lansdale mystery romance. There are some familiar faces from my other two books, but it is a stand alone. I haven’t submitted it yet but hope to so it can come out in 2024. We’ll see how things go.

Kim brought an excerpt for us:

        The unmistakable roar of a motorcycle echoed  through the diner. Kat stopped where she stood. Her  lungs wouldn’t refill. She gripped the counter to steady  her trembling legs. Out the front window she saw a red- helmeted rider atop a motorcycle pull out of a space in front of the diner and drive away. 

Impossible. Not here. He couldn’t know she’s gone. Not yet. Other people with red helmets ride motorcycles. Get a grip, girl! People are staring. Stop  scowling.

She wiped away the tear that slipped down  her cheek, plastered on what she hoped was a pleasant  smile, and resumed pouring coffee. She needed to make a good impression. She had to keep this job.

 

A note from Kim: I hope readers will check out my blog www.spinningromance.com and sign up to follow me there. I post about once a month on my author journey and my observations on life. Feel free to email me at kimjanine@spinningromance.com I love hearing from you!

 

To purchase Landing on Her Feet, go to:

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Landing-Her-Feet-Janine-Ligon/dp/15092497337/


Barnes and Noble:

https://barnesandnoble.com/w/landing-on-her-feet-kim-janine-ligon/1143205488


Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/123737915-landing-on-her-feet/


Bookbub:

www.bookbub.com/books/landing-on-her-feet-by-kim-janine-ligon

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview--enjoyed getting to know Chase. He sounds like a great guy. KIm, I can't wait to read this book. I loved your first one. I'm slow getting around to it because I've been heads down finishing up my latest. But soon.... :) Wishing you all the best, my friend.

    ReplyDelete