Monday, July 10, 2023

Susie Black and Death by Pins and Needles

 Who wanted Lissa Charney dead? The list was as long as your arm….but which one actually killed her?

     The last thing Mermaid Swimwear sales exec Holly Schlivnik expected to find when she opened the closet door was nasty competitor Lissa Charney’s battered corpse nailed to the wall. When Holly’s colleague is wrongly arrested for Lissa’s murder, the wise-cracking, irreverent amateur sleuth sticks her nose everywhere it doesn’t belong to sniff out the real killer. Nothing turns out the way she thinks it will as Holly matches wits with a heartless killer hellbent for revenge.

Wild Women Authors features author Susie Black and Death by Pins and Needles, Book 2 in the Holly Swimsuit Mystery series. We recently asked Susie to talk about how her inspiration and what issues she dealt with to create this mystery series.

Good morning, Susie. Thanks for taking time out to speak with us, Let’s begin with which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, [or both] have had a major impact on your writing? There are a number of authors who have had a major impact on my writing: Joan Hess, Anne George, Carolyn Haines, Janet Evanovich, Tim Dorsey, and Donald E. Westlake are my tops.

I credit the writing styles of these authors with how I developed my timing, my voice, my comedic skills, and my use of snark. My books feature zany, irreverent characters. I studied the characters of those authors to develop mine. Here are the characters/ Authors who made the biggest impact on my character development style. They also taught me not be afraid to create characters as outlandish as I wanted them to be: Joan Hess’ Arly Hanks, Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum and Lula, Carolyn Haines’ Sarah Booth Delaney, Donald E. Westlake’s John Dortmunder, Tim Dorsey’s Serge, and Anne George’s Patricia Anne/”Mouse” and Mary Alice/”Sister”.

With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Like the protagonist in my Holly Swimsuit Mystery series, I am a ladies’ swimwear sales exec. From the beginning of my career, I have kept a daily journal that chronicles the quirky, interesting, and often challenging people I’ve encountered as well as the crazy situations I’ve gotten myself into and out of. The journal entries are the foundation of all my writing.

All of my characters are based on real people, and the central characters are all strong, successful women who have beaten the odds. Holly Schlivnik, the main character in the series, is based on me with some poetic license taken, of course. The stories all take place in the fast-paced, at times cutthroat Los Angeles ladies' swimwear industry where I spent the lion’s portion of my career. My research was done at the California Apparel Mart in downtown L.A. where I interviewed a number of sales reps and retail store buyers.

Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? The research didn’t lead me down different paths, but it did help solve some logistical details i.e. of how the murder victim was transported from the scene of the crime to the victim’s office.

Tell us a bit about your publisher. My publisher is The Wild Rose Press. I heard about them from an author colleague. The Wild Rose Press is owned by two women who were authors before going into publishing. Having a publisher that was female-led and had been authors themselves was a major influence in my submitting to them. As a female who has succeeded in a historically male-dominated industry, it was important to me to write about the apparel business from a woman’s point of view. I was confident this particular publisher would support me in that goal, and they have.

For my initial submission I sent a query letter  via their website and was then asked to submit a synopsis and the manuscript to the editor assigned to me for consideration. The turn-around time from date of query to date of release was about ten months.

What are you reading right now? I am reading Cause for Elimination by Marla A. White

What's next for you? I have recently released Death by Surfboard, and will be releasing Death by Cutting Table August 2nd and Rag Lady November 15th. I am mid-way through the sixth book in the series with the goal to submit the manuscript to my editor by the end of the summer. I am also working on the first book in a prequel series to The Holly Swimsuit Mystery Series. In this new series, the protagonist, Holly Schlivnik, is a high school newspaper reporter who has an uncanny nose for murder.

To learn more about Susie Black and the stories she creates go to: www.authorsusieblack.com

 Linktree: https://linktr.ee/susieblack.com

 Book Bub: www.bookbub.com/authors/susie-black

Facebook:    https://facebook.com/TheHollySwimsuitMysterySeries

Goodreads: goodreads.com/book/show/68040389-death-by-pins-and-needles?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=HjQPRm4FmD&rank=1

Instagram:   Susie Black (@hollyswimsuit) • Instagram photos and videos

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/authorsusieblack-61941011

Pinterest:  https://www.pinterest.com/hollysusie1_saved/

Twitter:    http://twitter.com/@hollyswimsuit

To purchase Death by Pins and Needles, go to:  https://books2read.com/Death-by-Pins-and-Needles

1 comment:

  1. Such an incredibly busy lady! I love your writing style and have my Kindle loaded up with your books! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete