Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Gift and Beverly Wells

     As a gruff warrior he evaded female relationships, yet her flaws charmed him all the more.

For the remainder of the week, we are happy to have a dear friend and prolific author, Beverly Wells visiting Wild Women Authors with The Gift. A sequel to The Chalice, from One Winter Knight, The Gift is Bev's contirbution to One Yuletide Knight, released Nov. 3, 2017 out of Prairie Rose Publications.

Here’s the blurb:

Sir Geoffrey Eton, captain of Royce’s regiment is a hardened, gruff warrior. All his life he served England, protected others, and trained men. Tavern wenches satisfied his occasional needs. There simply was no necessity for a wife.
Orphan, Heather Douglas grew up in an abbey in Scotland, loving life. When she joins her best friend at the Scotland castle granted to Royce, she brings her smiles and laughter. She also brings her flawed leg, her stubbornness and determination. Will her bright smile and charm be the weapons to finally take down the mighty warrior?

Let's talk with Heather Douglas. Where are you from? Selkirk, Scotland in the border country, but now I be living at Dillyglen Castle north of Selkirk
What did you think the first time you saw Geoffrey Eton? Our introduction be a bit short as I had recently arrived to join my best friend, Ahna and it be more than obvious he did no’ much enjoy chit chatting with an unfamiliar woman, though he be more than polite. But I thought him a verra bonnie mon, big and muscular, and confident in being a knight as well as the captain of Royce’s army.
Was it love at first sight? Good heaven’s no. Not the first time I met him and surely not the second time. I be giving his warhorse apple slices—as I had been doing for more than a good fortnight—with my forehead resting against Darktonian’s forehead when Sir Geoffrey’s bellows actually shook the rafters. He roared like a bear with a spear in his arse and ranted like a hungry boar. He be more hardened than even I had ever imagined.
Spear up his arse. Good one, Heather. What do you like most about him? His reluctant smile. Oh, he more than tries to hide it, but it be there alright, lighting up his dark brown, almost black eyes till they twinkle. It makes me own heart take off to pattering it does.
A pattering heart. Another jewel. How would you describe him? He be a proud, ambitious mon as well as a fierce, brave warrior, a chivalrous knight, a true leader of mons, and protector of women.
How would he describe you? At first he ranted I be foolish, but I think he truly feared for me safety. Hard to believe he would ever fear anything. Now that we have shared more words, I think he might find me a wee bit more intelligent, and capable of teaching the youngsters painting, music and scholastics than he first thought. At least I certainly hope so.
What made you choose teaching as a career? ‘Tis no really a career as there be verra few women at this time who have an actual career or trade. Since I grew up in the abbey all me life, I found I loved to paint, then later I adored playing the lyre. I enjoyed mathematics more than history, lnguage or geography. So when I reached an age where I could help the sisters out in teaching the younger orphans I began teaching mostly art, music, singing and playing the lyre, as well as mathematics. The others at the convent taught other subjects.
What is your biggest fear, Heather? I do no’ fear much really, for I try to live each day appreciating all things good in life. But to answer your question, I be a wee bit fearful that I might forget I know better than to ever lose my heart to any mon since I have such a flaw with me leg plus all the other faults the good sisters reprimanded me for, but I feel the tug, a forceful tug, towards one verra crusty, but considerate mon.
How do you relax? When I paint, any scene, I am totally transported to another world. ‘Tis verra calming and it truly soothes my soul. Of course I almost get the same calm from playing the lyre.
Who is your favorite fictional character? I can read and enjoy teaching the children their numbers and letters, but I have never read any fiction as it was forbidden at the abbey.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Believe in yourself and you will always succeed.
Thank you, Heather. This has been a lot of fun. Now we'd like to chat with Beverly.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I’ve said this before, but The Diary of Anne Frank, both the movie and the book, grabbed me, held me and made such an impression on me when I was a young girl. So much emotion, turmoil, determinations and strengths. But I would have to say all books by LaVyrle Spencer and Nora Roberts and so many more fantastic authors helped me throughout my career displaying how to form a character with strengths, weakness, and flaws as well as integrity.
So many movies have shown me purpose, plotting and meaningful relationships: Brave Heart, Forrest Gump, Harry and Sally, too many to list, but what can I say? Cinderella, the book and movie, reigns on top.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I didn’t suffer any physical or health issues as Heather, but felt inferior for years as I believed others knew my darkest family flaws. I also grew up watching others be nasty and cruel to others, human or animals, and swore I would never bow that low, but always give all I can in helping others in need. Most likely that’s why I was a nurse for so many years. Several people along the way helped me see I could believe in myself and in the goodness of others, hold my head up and persevere. It’s made me a much happier and stronger person and I believe a more understanding person. I hope I’ve made Heather stick to being herself no matter what. I also tried to portray Sir Geoffrey as a brave and hardened man while being leery of others hurting him emotionally, yet he finally learns to trust another with his heart and soul and comes out stronger than ever before.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I enjoy reading all types of romance novels, but I especially enjoy reading and writing historical romance, either set in the American West or Medievals in England or Scotland. I’d read numerous lines published by Prairie Rose Publications, looked them up on the internet and found even more lines, liked what I saw and submitted. And I’m so very happy I did. I couldn’t be more pleased with the various lines, the encouragement, assistance, and fantastic camaraderie of all at PRP. If I ever toss out a question, western or medieval, or business wise, I get answers from oodles of authors on our yahoo group. It’s awesome how helpful and supportive everyone is.
What books currently rest on your TBR pile? Too many to list, but I have a few historical westerns, a regency—yes I do read them too—and the other stories included in One Yuletide Knight and know I’ll love each and every one of them. I do have a book I just bought in Montana about the Copper Kings’ war when Butte, Montana first started mining copper. I recently visited there to do some research and of course just to see the vast plains of the West and the majestic mountain ranges. Awesome! WOW, did I get a bunch to add to my research files.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I have a full length novel almost finished, set in the 19th century in Wyoming—I’ve pushed it aside for the last time. I’m very eager to have my readers meet my fill-in deaconess/horse trainer and breeder who rescues the Montana cowboy from the hangman’s noose, and the loveable dog, Cubby, that believes he is their designated chaperone. It’s a story of vengeance verses justice as well as healing. I have about ten different names for this book, but I’ll make a decision soon.

I hope this short Excerpt for The Gift tickles your fancy as I tried to pepper a wee bit of humor throughout the entire story:

He fought to gain his senses, to protect the foolish woman. He took a deep breath and bellowed, “Darktonian hold!”
The horse instantly responded, arching his neck which pulled him back away from her. He held perfectly still to the command. “Step back away from him.”
Expecting her to follow the curt order as if she was one of his men he captained, he planned to approach her and give her a harsh reprimand for endangering herself so foolishly. Instead, she turned her head, graced him with a wide smile and followed it with a husky chuckle.
“He will no’ harm me. We be the best of friends as long as I bring him a wee bit of apple ever’ day. He loves it when I pet or cuddle him too, he does.” Disregarding his words, she reached up to pat his muzzle and cheek. Thank the good Lord, Darktonian remained a statue. Geoff thought he might swallow his tongue at her blatant disregard for her safety and his order.
Pet or cuddle? Lord grant me strength not to strangle the irresponsible, foolish woman.
“He is a warhorse, trained to bite, strike with his hooves and batter or ram to kill. You are foolish to think otherwise.” His bellow shook the rafters. “He could remove your head in one split second if he felt like it. Now step back so I may approach. Now!” She would suffer much more than her lopsided limp if the horse became skittish.
He felt like an oaf, an ignorant oaf, yet she needed to understand the danger of her coddling such a temperamental, huge beast. He sighed in relief as she took several uneven steps back. He also noted how her lips tightened and her glare threatened to cook him to a charred cinder if she had any witchy powers in her control.

You can read more about Bev or can contact her below:




22 comments:

  1. Love the excerpt. Beverly. You've set up the conflict and opposites soon-to-attract scenario. Nothing worse than trying to protect a strong-willed woman :-) Looks like Sir Geoffrey has his work cut out for him. And a good challenge ahead of him. I look forward to checking out your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, Thank you so much for visiting and your comments. I so enjoyed writing the banter between the two and how he could overlook her bum leg and other "faults" and learn to apreciate her talents and gentleness. Oh, so much fun when the strong and gruff are slowly brought not down, but to appreciate what is important in sometime more than necessary in life. Hope you enjoy THE GIFT as weyou'll more than enjoy all the others included in this holiday anthology.

      Delete
  2. Kat, thank you once again for hosting me on your blog with this time the anthology ONE YULETIDE KNIGHT. These eight medieval holiday stories are a collection of top notch stories by some very talented authors. I'm sure ONE YULETIDE KNIGHT will delight a gamut of readers. Perfect for reading enjoyment or gift giving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather sounds like a wonderful character. Betting she can keep Sir Geoffrey on his toes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she does and much more. What fun I had creating her and Geoff's characters. The more 'flaws' I gave them, the more I laughed. I hope all readers enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks so much for stopping and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, thanks so much for commenting and I certainly hope you enjoy and laugh as much as I did at creating these two characters. I just love them. You'll also love the other 7 fantastic stories in this book. Happy Yuletide.

      Delete
  5. Bev, I am so happy for you. I'm also thrilled to be included with you and the other amazing storytellers in this anthology. Like you, I can't wait to read the other stories. PLUS: I am looking forward to the novel. YAY! Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris, thanks so much for visiting and commenting. I just love these anthologies and I too am so looking forward to reading the other stories I haven't had time to read as yet. Just not enough time. Wishing you the best.

      Delete
  6. Bev, I really did love THE GIFT--the story, the characters...everything about it. I especially look forward to a "difficult" hero--and boy, Sir Geoffrey was bound and determined to be that for Heather! But I love the way you wrote them and had them realize they were attracted to one another, and then...things lead to things, and...GREAT STORY. LOL

    So glad to have you with us at PRP and I'm anxious to see your next full-length work, too. I hate having to put something aside but I've done it many times in order to work on things with a more pressing deadline.

    I enjoyed the interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, thank you so much for stopping by, and I wouldn't have these fun stories coming out at all without all the encouragement and support by you and everyone at PRP. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. Hi Bev and Kat. This is always a good place to visit. I do love the character interviews. Bev, I'm looking forward to reading your story after hearing more about it today. I like your flawed heroine! And the story from your personal life which influenced you. I love seeing my name on the cover with you and all the other talented authors once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, thank you so very much for stopping by. It's always a joy to be included with you and the others in one of these anthologies. Love doing them and getting to know more about everyone involved. Looking forward to reading your story as well as the others. I just have to sit long enough and read. And yes, I too enjoy visiting Kat's blog. It's a great place to say hi to all.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on such a wonderful story, Bev! May it bring you the best Christmas ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, I'm delighted you stopped by and commented. I feel so lucky to get to do such stories like THE GIFT and be included with such talented authors. I wish you a Happy Yuletide and continued success with all your publications.

      Delete
  9. Bet, you've created a wonderful heroine and fabulous story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keena, coming from you means a bunch.I had so much fun doing the characters and the story just wrote itself. I'm so very delighted to be included in this anthology with all you seasoned and highly talented medieval authors. My dream was someday to write a medieval and now I'm getting up the nerve to write the long one that I've outlined. Thanks for visiting. And wishing you the best.

      Delete
  10. Your story sounds wonderful, Bev!! And it was great to get to know you better. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, thanks.I hope people will enjoy it, and it's been great getting to know you too. I so enjoy reading all your stories as well as well as visiting you on FB. Wishing you a very Happy Yuletide. Thanks also for stoppiing by, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  11. I hope readers will enjoy these stories as much as we authors enjoyed writing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, I keep saying the same thing as I had so much fun writing this one. I'm sure I'm going to love each and every other story in this collection if I can get time to ead them--I'll make the time. I'm so pleased and honored to have been part of this anthology. Thank you so much for visiting this blog. Hope we can do another together.

      Delete
  12. Woo Hoo! I'd intended to give a free copy of ONE YULETIDE KNIGHT to one commenter. The winner chosen is Jennifer Wilch. Congratulations Jennifer, look for an email from me. Thank you all for coming over to say hi. And once again, a sincere thanks to Kat for again hosting and making this so much fun. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete