Friday, January 19, 2018

Time Travel Back to the Swing Era

Wild Women Authors welcomes Madison Michael and Matthew Harrington from Madison's latest release Our Love is Here to Stay. First up is Matthew.
Where are you from? San Francisco, CA – one of the most vibrant and beautiful cities in the world.
Tell us a bit about Our Love is Here to Stay. This is not your typical romance. For one thing, the story spans more than fifty years and time has a certain fluidity throughout the story. I am a software security consultant who is sick of living out of a suitcase. I have befriended the hotel concierge and I assume he is scraping the bottom of the barrel of things to do in Chicago when he sends me to The Green Mill for Swing Night. I couldn't be more wrong. The place is jumping, the music is hot, authentic jazz and I meet the woman destined to be the love of my life, Patty Dennisen.
What did you think the first time you saw Patty? This woman was unlike anyone I knew, fresh faced, wholesome and sexy as hell all at the same time. She was dressed in 1950's garb, complete with a ponytail bouncing when she moved. She was not typical of the women I worked with or dated. Patty was softer, more open and trusting. She drew me in.
What was your second thought? My second thought was horrifying. If I wanted to spend time with Patty, I had to dance with her. Swing dance. I don't know how to swing, but I there I was making a fool of myself on the dance floor. I was definitely in over my head.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? I can't say for sure that it was love at first sight, but it was certainly intriguing at first sight. I wanted to know this woman better – all of her. I wanted to know what she did, what she liked, who she spent time with. I wanted to understand what made her happy. Hell, I wanted to make her happy.
That is so sweet! What do you like most about Patty? Her eyes. I finally understand the expression that "eyes are the windows to the soul". When I looked into Patty's eyes. they were a pale, silvery blue that captured my attention and never let it go. They were so expressive and full of laughter.
How would you describe her? Patty is full of life and excitement, and curiosity about the world around her. When we met, she wanted to know all about California and my work and my life. Patty grew up sheltered but I could tell she wanted more. She grabs life with both hands and I love that about her. It doesn't hurt that she's smart, sexy and beautiful too.
How would she describe you? Patty thinks I am the most exotic man she has ever seen, taller than most, more handsome than most. I love how she sees me. She believes in everything I do. She supports my dreams and so she makes me dream big. Patty thinks I talk California slang and live a very exciting life traveling the world.
What made you choose security consulting as a career? I was always interested in computers so I knew that I would choose something in the tech field. It was the articles about computer hacking that drove me to computer security and the idea of traveling the world that led me to consulting. It didn't hurt that I was good at it. 
What is your biggest fear? I would say I most fear being made to look like a fool. I deal with clients every day who expect me to solve their problems. I hate when I fail, but understand I can't always get everything right the first time. However, when I fail and look like an idiot, I hate it.
How do you relax? I listen to music, any music, but especially jazz and blues. The smooth sounds wrap around the problems in my life and just carry them away.
Who is your favorite fictional character? Iron Man. He is flawed but I relate to his arrogance and his ability to solve all problems using technology. Besides that, he has a really cool house and some great cars.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Believe. Patty always said I needed to believe and now I do.
Thanks for spending time with us, Matthew. We’d like to chat with Madison and ask her what movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Pride and Prejudice in every form was an early influence on me. So was the movie My Fair Lady and the book Pygmalion. I was raised on a constant diet of Barbara Cartland books, and I aspire to write historical fiction some day. I love the costumes, the settings, the history and the manners. I am heavily influenced by the rules of etiquette and manner.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I gave Matthew the reaction to The Green Mill that I had when I went there for swing night. I was transported to another era, and so is Matthew. Like for me, when Matthew leaves the club, reality returns.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I am my own publisher. I have never attempted to submit my books to a traditional publisher because I have heard stories that turned me off to the idea and because I don't like the idea of complying with their submission guidelines. Fellow authors have recommended certain publishers and perhaps I will look at them more closely down the road.
What books currently rests on your TBR pile? The third book in The Walsh Series by Kate Canterbary, Necessary Restorations. The books in this series push all my buttons, and I cannot put them down once I start them. I can only read these novels when I have 3-4 uninterrupted hours. The Boston settings remind me of my very happy days living in the South End. I love the architecture references, clearly well researched. Most of all I adore these flawed characters and their family interactions and of course, the romance, which is way beyond steamy. Also on the pile is A Marriage of Opposites, by Alice Hoffman. I love everything she writes. Period.
Sadly, I also have a huge stack of ebooks and paperbacks devoted to my craft topped by Authorprenuer by Jesse Keiger and Create by Meera Kothand. Expertise from books like these is my salvation.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? Next up is the final book in my Beguiling Bachelor series. I wrote about fifty percent of the book but then I decided to put it down. I want to take it in a slightly different direction, so I took a break from it. Now, my wonderful fans have been asking for this last installment in the saga of four best friends, sexy and successful men born with silver spoons in the mouths. The Beguiling Bachelors come up against something they cannot buy – sassy, smart women who must be wooed and won. I have dropped hints about the last book, Besotted, throughout the three earlier books, Bedazzled, Beholden and Bedeviled, and now it's time to bring it home. Readers can expect Besotted this spring, followed by my new B&B Billionaire Series later this year.

Our Love is Here to Stay, is available now at books2read.com/u/bpWAkW or Amazon

I love to hear from my fans. Contact me, sign up to join my insider's group or follow my blog at maddy@madisonmichael.net,. On Facebook or Pinterest, follow me at MadisonMichaelRomance.









4 comments:

  1. Swing dancing! I remember seeing my mom and dad swing dancing. I made my dad teach me. :) Fun and good exercise. But finding a partner, not so fun. LOL
    Good luck with Our Love Is Here to Stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting interview. Vaguely remember seeing people swing dancing. Best of luck with Our Love is Here to Stay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The story spans 50 years? That's lovely. I love stories like that. True soul mate stories. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing Our Love Is Here To Stay. What a fun interview!

    ReplyDelete