Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Love and Death in Istanbul--a winner!

A nurse on a mission, a surgeon with a secret, and a war keeping them apart.

Emily North, an experienced hospice nurse, is fed up with controlling men and predictable jobs. In her search for something more, she volunteers for a medical mission in war-torn Istanbul, Turkey. While trying to focus on herself and the work at hand, she becomes fascinated with surgeon Jake Compton as he applies his considerable skills in the trauma unit under dangerous conditions. But Emily soon discovers Compton has a secret: a covert life in military service which has no room for her--or any woman. Between warring factions and Jake's superiors, Emily struggles to find adventure, herself, and one decent man.

 Intrigued? We sure were from the first page of this terrific story. And, we admit, it didn't hurt that being a nurse sort of tweaked our opinion. So . . . For the rest of the week, Wild Women Authors are delighted to welcome author Tim Tarkelly and Emily North, from “Love and Death in Istanbul”, Tim's first release out of the Crimson Rose line with Wild Rose Press. She's terrific and he's a hunky battle surgeon who find love and death in the middle of civil war in Turkey.

First up is Emily North, RN.
Where are you from? Joplin, Missouri
Tell us a bit about Love and Death in Istanbul. This is the story of when I left my comfortable life and job as a hospice nurse to go and find adventure. I got a little more than I bargained for and ended up in a situation I would have never even imagined. And of course I met Jake.
What did you think the first time you saw Jake? He’s definitely handsome. The chin, the eyes. He is nothing like the other men I’ve dated.
Sounds good to us. What was your second thought? I saw that he was the most talented surgeon I’ve ever met. He was so cool under pressure.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? I don’t know about that, but I was definitely intrigued the first time I saw him.
What do you like most about him? He is exciting, that’s for sure. He is different and I'm never quite sure what to expect. Or WHEN to expect him.
How would you describe him? Unpredictable.
Good one. How would Jake describe you? Direct.
Terrific answer--and so true. What made you choose nursing as a career? I just like to help people. I wanted to do something that the world really needed and I think I found it.
What is your biggest fear? Probably waking up one day and realizing that I haven’t done enough.
How do you relax? Relaxation isn’t my strong suit. I work too much. But when I do find the time, I love music and I love to go out.
Who is your favorite fictional character? Captain America.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? You’ll be more disappointed in the things you didn’t do than the things you did.
Which captures the essence of this story. Thanks, Em. Now it's time to chat with Tim. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I think books like The Hunt For Red October by Tom Clancy and the Sons of Texas series by Donna Grant really set the course of the kind of writer I want to be.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I have two experiences that directly relate to this story. First, I was in the Army (for a very brief time) and was able to draw on the skills I learned to better bring out some of the action in the book. Second, when my grandmother passed away, I was blown away by the kind, professional, and skilled hospice staff that helped her. It was thinking about what their lives were like and the combination of compassion and medical skill it takes to do their job.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I do a lot of reading on the go, so I do a lot of my reading digitally. I have a Kindle app on my phone and tablet, and also read on my laptop a lot. In the natural course of looking for romance e-books, I came cross The Wild Rose Press. I was beyond excited when they decided to publish Love and Death in Istanbul. I should also say have been a dream to work with.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? A Sure Thing by Marie Harte, God’s Eye View by Barry Eisler, and A Scandal by Any Other Name by Kimberly Bell.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? There are no dates right now, but I am working on two projects. One is a (sort of) sequel to Love and Death in Istanbul and the other is a full-length novel about a non-lethal special forces unit.
If visitors to our blog want to learn more about you, where should they go?
Twitter: @TimothyTarkelly
Instagram: @tarkellyt

Tim brought along an excerpt for us:
No one can really prepare for the sight of war, and she’d seen death plenty of times back home. It was unfair to claim no one can know the sorrow that follows death, but she took it all in stride. Unlike others, she wasn’t fazed by the sight or metallic odor of blood as she approached the masses of wounded. So it was there, in the middle of a war-zone, while working for an international relief agency, that Emily North, RN experienced her first real surprise of this new turn in her life when Doctor Jake Compton jumped down from the back of one of the trucks and made his way for the surgical tent.

To purchase Love and Death in Istanbul, go to www.theWildRosePress.com and do a title search. You won't be disappointed!

19 comments:

  1. This book sounds intriguing. Although I have no memory of it, I lived in Istanbul as a small child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Deb
      thanks so much for stopping by. This is a terrific book.

      Delete
    2. It is such a beautiful and intriguing city. Really, I couldn't NOT write about it.

      Prague is the main staple of the next one.

      Delete
  2. An interesting character interview. Sounds like a great book. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, CB
      thanks so much for stopping by in support of Tim in his first efforts. He did a great job with this story.

      Delete
    2. Thank you!

      It was definitely a lot of fun to write

      Delete
  3. I've been in awe of the people who work in hospice ever since my father-in-law was in their care. It was a moving, beautiful experience not only for him, but for the family. Wishing you all the best, Tim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary
      On behalf of Tim, I thank you for stopping by. He made Emily a real person with a heart and a brain and a ton of guts to travel in search of better things for herself.

      Delete
    2. I too have a lot of respect for the profession. It was a lot of fun getting to bring it out in this story.

      Delete
  4. Compassion in the midst of carnage. This sounds like one terrific read. Welcome to TWRP, Tim. They certainly are a dream publisher to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Margo
      thanks so much for stopping by. This is a great story. I loved working on it!

      Delete
    2. I was really blown away with the care I received for the story itself as well as the promotion of it.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Having been a nurse for years in various fields, mostly in homecare and also seving in Homeland Security, I dealt with dath and dying alot and found it very rewarding I could make a difference. I also love military stories, esp. with a romantic twist. I read mostly historical romance only because I write them, but do enjoy a good contemporary for sure. And this one sounds like one I need--must--add to my TBR file. Congratulations on our first release, and all upcoming. So very nice to meet you. Kat, thanks for this blog; as always very interesting and nice to meet this new author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bev
      this has been an adventure. Tim did a great job of putting me right there in the middle of the smoke and bombs and gunfire. It was great. Hope you like it.

      Delete
    2. Well thank you, both for your interest and for the work you did in such a noble profession!

      I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. hello my name is nakisha i want you all to join me to thank this man for restoring my home with my ex husband who dump me for another woman for 5 years,. At first i never believed DR OGUDUGU will be able to help me win back my EX HUSBAND from this other woman but because i still love him and need him in my life.. i work and follow DR OGUDUGU instruction and it surprise me that after 3 Days of casting the spell and working with DR OGUDUGU, my EX HUSBAND called me asking me to forgive and forget the everything he has done to me that he still love me... now myself and my husband are fulling back together and we are very happy with our new life ... all thanks to DR OGUDUGU for the great work he has done for me.. i promise to always share his good work to the whole wide world and if any body is out there passing through any relationship difficulties should kindly contact him via email: drogudugusolutionspell@gmail.com
    HE ALSO SPECIALIZE ON THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be
    yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) Herbal care.
    contact DR OGUDUGU via his email for a total solution drogudugusolutionspell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete