Monday, May 7, 2018

Meet Rip Calhoun and The Ranger's Vow

We are pleased to welcome back Kara O'Neal, a frequent and loyal guest to Wild Women Authors, to help celebrate the latest in her Pike's Run series, “The Ranger's Vow”. First up is Kara's favorite character Luke “Rip” Calhoun.
Where are you from? El Paso, Texas
Tell us a bit about The Ranger’s Vow. I’m a Texas Ranger. I started when I was fifteen. Rangers don’t get married, which was fine with me. A long time ago, I promised myself I wouldn’t fall in love. I had no use for the emotion, especially since it was what had killed my father. But then I met Sherry. And she changed everything.
What did you think the first time you saw Sherry Forrester? She's gonna kill me for answering this question, but I’m no coward. The first time I met her, I couldn’t see her at all. But I knew she wasn’t wearin’ a stitch. I came upon her while she skinny dipped in the creek. I made sure I didn’t peek, the water hid most of everything anyway. But I have to tell you, it was the best moment of my sorry life. We traded a few teasing insults, and despite the fact that I had no idea what she looked like, she’d hooked me like no other woman ever had.
Interesting concept for a Ranger, debating a skinny-dipping woman. What was your second thought? That she’d given me the finest welcome to Pike’s Run a man could ask for.
Was it love at first sight? No. It was attraction at first meeting.
What do you like most about her? She is true to herself, to what she wants, and she makes no apologies for that. She’s smart and caring. And a risk-taker.
How would you describe her? Tough. Brave. Feisty. She’s nailed me to the wall more times than I like to admit to.
Nailing a Ranger to a wall. Another interesting picture you're painting, Rip. How would she describe you? Playful, mischievous. Honest. And I hope she’d say I take good care of her. I don’t ever want her to doubt my commitment to her.
What made you choose being a Ranger as a career? The job promised travel and the ability to keep people safe.
Great answer. What is your biggest fear? Losing the people I love.
How do you relax? I spend time with my wife and our children. They remind me every day of what’s most important.
Who is your favorite fictional character? I don’t read. However, I hope I’m as good a man as my captain is.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? When it was said to me, I didn’t understand the truth of it until after I met Sherry. My dying father told me that love was all that mattered in this world. In my ignorance, I disagreed. And spent years as only a shell of a man. Now that I have Sherry and our children, I understand how right my father was.
This has been great, Rip. We wish you luck and happiness in your life. Now it's time to chat with Kara.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Well, there are too many books to list them all here, but I must mention Nancy Drew, Little House, Little Women, and Anne of Green Gables. I adored stories about girls who took control of their lives, but still loved and allowed themselves to be loved in return. As an adult, Jane Austen is a new love. I’ll never match her ability, but she is inspiring.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Nothing from my private life helped shape this story. However, I have a loving family, and I draw on our interactions to create all my characters.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? Resplendence Publishing was accepting manuscripts other than Regency, and I jumped at the chance. I have enjoyed working with them and for them and feel they have made me a better writer.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Oh, gosh! Here we go: The Alienist, Katherine, Jane Austen’s First Love, A Good American, The White Princess, The Book Thief, and An Irish County Courtship. I can’t stop myself from buying books. It’s just too hard not to!
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? Next is The Cowboy’s Embrace. It should be ready for purchase in the summer. After that is Destiny’s Secrets and then Mr. Pierce’s Hero. These should be ready for fall.
To learn more about Kara O'Neal and the stories she creates, go to:
Website: www.karaoneal.com.


To purchase The Ranger's Vow, go to:







16 comments:

  1. Love the name! Rip really does sound like a true cowboy...

    Good luck and God's blessings Kara!
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read. Rip does sound like a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It definitely was a lot of fun to write. He's very, well, male.

      Delete
  3. Rip sounds wonderful! Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds quite intriguing! Enjoyed the interview and best of luck with The Ranger's Vow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! Rip sounds like he's a bit feisty also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He certainly is. He's gives Sherry a run for her money.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for having me! I enjoyed every second!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do enjoy your novels, Kara--they are so Western and I am so Eastern that it's a learning curve for me! This one sounds compelling! Best wishes and you and I love all the same books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That's a good thing about books. They take you to places you haven't been or can't go! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed your interview! Can’t wait to be introduced to all of the characters of Pike’s Run!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He definitely sounds like a character worth knowing. I enjoyed the interview. Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete