Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The Latest in the Deerbourne Inn Series

Bake 300 cupcakes for the town’s garden party? Easy.
Resist the sexy man from her past? Impossible

          Unemployed photojournalist Raynor Elliot stops at a bakery near the famous Deerbourne Inn. Not only does he get a lead on a job but the bakery’s owner is that awkward kid he knew in high school, only now she has fabulous curves and an irreverent sense of humor. The cozy bakery, with its aroma of sugar, vanilla and spice, has more to offer than tasty cookies.
          Fiona MacLeod has been plagued for years by the need to make amends for telling The Big Lie. When the lie’s victim strolls into her bakery with his icy blue stare and killer charm, she feels like she’s standing too close to a hot oven.
          Between running her bakery and frosting cupcakes for the Mad River Garden Party, she's pretty sure she's falling in love with this infuriating, sexy man. Can Fiona dredge up the courage to confess, face the consequences, and hope for forgiveness?

Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back author Luanna Stewart who is celebrating the release of Love Proof, a contemporary novella length romance, the latest in the Deerbourne Inn series out of the Wild Rose Press. With her is Raynor, Ray, Elliott.

Where are you from? I grew up in a small town in Nova Scotia called MacLeod’s Cove. I left home to attend journalism school and then traveled the world covering wars and disasters, and uncovering lies.
Tell us a bit about Love Proof. Not much to tell. I just landed in town, on my way to somewhere else. I’m starting to think I might want to stay in Willow Springs a while longer.
What did you think the first time you saw Fiona? I didn’t recognize her at first, haven’t seen her since we graduated high school. She sure changed – the shy, awkward kid is now all woman. 
Sounds interesting. What was your second thought? My second thought was to stay far, far away. I’ve sworn off relationships and she spells trouble.
Was it love at first sight? It’s certainly lust at first sight, and I like her. She sure does have a wicked sense of humour.
What do you like most about her? She’s a genuinely nice person, no bull-shit meter required. Plus, she bakes delicious cookies.
Among other yummy sounding treats. How would you describe Fee?
Beautiful. Not a super-model or anything but the prettiest woman I’ve seen in a long time. I get lost in her big blue eyes, and her skin is soft and smells like sugar.
Pal, you are so sunk. How would she describe you? Oh, man, whatever she says probably isn’t complimentary. I have a feeling her memories of me from high school aren’t the best.
What made you choose photojournalism for a career? Frankly, I was tired of having to wade through politician’s lies every time I read the newspaper. I planned to change the world by exposing the crooks in charge. I soon found out the crooks in charge weren’t about to let anything get in their way.
What is your biggest fear? Failure. In school, at sports, in love – ha! I’ve failed at love more times than I want to say. Hence my moratorium on relationships.
Smart thinking. So . . . when you're not in a relationship, how do you relax? A good book and a glass of single malt scotch.
Works for us. Who is your favorite fictional character? Sam Vimes, from Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series. That guy made the best of every opportunity.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My high school football coach, a real hard-ass with a voice like a foghorn, gave us a pep talk before every game. I forgot most of his words of wisdom but one thing he said stayed with me. “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” I’m pretty sure Wayne Gretzky, the hockey star, said it first, but it’s as accurate for life as it is for hockey.

Amen, my brother. Can't do any better than following advice from The Great One.
Now it's time to chat with Luanna.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Both Susan Elizabeth Peters and Loretta Chase have always been authors I want to emulate.
Couldn't do better than Susan Elizabeth, She's a wonder. What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I had braces on my teeth, wore glasses, and was painfully shy – my high school years were not kind. I gave my heroine a similar history, and I used her experiences in high school to explain why she did certain things, and how she coped later in life.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I first submitted to Wild Rose Press when an editor from that publishing house attended a small conference and listened to my very first pitch. She was so kind and generous, I knew I’d be happy with the company. I’ve gone on to publish several books with them.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Oh, my goodness, my TBR pile has toppled under its own weight and sprouted secondary piles. Actually, I have three TBR piles going. Top of my contemporary romance pile is another Deerbourne Inn book – Witches Cliff by Peggy Chambers. In my historical romance pile is The Duchess of Love by Sally MacKenzie – I love the humour in her stories. And in my business of writing pile is Strangers to Superfans by David Gaughran.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’m working on a new small town contemporary romance series. The first book is about a woman forced to move home to her whacky family, and a man who takes a mama-sitting job after losing everything. I plan to release that book in the autumn.

Here's an excerpt from Love Proof:

“I remember those days.” She pushed the calculator to the side, too tired to worry about planning the week’s baking schedule. “Why’d you study journalism?
“Truth is important to me. I was tired of all the lies in government, at every level. I wanted to change that. Ultimately make the world a better place. Easy peasy, right?” His lips quirked and he shook his head.
“That’s why I decided to be a baker. Brighten someone’s day with a special treat.”
He scooted his chair closer and pointed at the column of numbers on the page. “You want me to do the rest?” His arm, bare to the bicep, lightly tanned, dusted with blond hair, a little lighter than on his head, rested less than an inch from her own spindly pale arm. Not spindly compared to other women, hefting bags of flour and moving trays of baked goods did take some muscle power. But spindly compared to his manly toned muscles flexing under skin that she’d bet her last jar of sprinkles was smooth and warm. She clenched her hand.
No touching allowed.
“We have cupcakes to frost.” She bounded from the chair and rushed into the kitchen.
Holy moly, the guy oozed sex. In a good way. A very good way. She pulled a clean apron off the shelf and cinched it around her waist. An extra layer of armor between her and temptation in the form of Raynor. The seeker of truth. The man whose mission in life was to expose lies. The reporter who thought liars were not decent human beings.

To purchase Love Proof, go to:






A bit about our feature author:
          Luanna Stewart has been creating adventures for her imaginary friends since childhood. At the tender age of twelve she discovered her grandmother's stash of romance novels, after which all plots had to lead to a happily-ever-after.
          She spends her days writing sexy romantic suspense, steamy paranormal romance, and spicy historical romance. When she's not torturing her heroes and heroines, she’s either in her kitchen baking something delicious, or protecting her garden from the chickens. She lives in Nova Scotia with her incredibly patient husband and two spoiled cats.

To learn more about Luanna Stewart and the stories she creates, go to:






Amazon Author Page: www.amazon.com/author/luanna_stewart


17 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your newest release, Lu! I'm already in love with these two. Here's hoping they go out and gather you many new readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great story! Love your characters and, of course, the setting. Wishing you every success. --kate, writing as C. T. Collier

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, another Deerbourne Inn to enjoy! Great blurb and excerpt. I also Love character interviews. Best wishes for lots of sales. I'm off to Amazon to add the book to my summer reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tena!!! I had fun drawing more info out of Raynor, hehe.

      Delete
  4. Great post. The book sounds terrific. Good luck, Luanna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lu - so excited. Your book, along with Sally MacKenzie's latest (great readers think alike), just popped up on my Kindle overnight (gotta' love preorder :-) ) I've really enjoyed the Deerbourne Inn series and can't wait to start your story TONIGHT. Love the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb N! I hope you enjoy. (Sally MacKenzie is one of my favourite authors.)

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Kat, for allowing me to visit with your readers. I'm late responding to all the lovely comments because Mr. S and I are building a sundeck & we're "making hay while the sun shines". I'll check in a bit later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific post, ladies. Luanna, your latest sound delightful! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your book sounds wonderful!
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for stopping by, Pamela.

    ReplyDelete