Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Adventures in The Wild World of Indie Publishing

Wild Women Authors is pleased to have Claire Marti talk about her recent adventures. . .

          When I decided to self-publish my second contemporary romance series, I was both nervous and excited. On the eve of the first book in my Pacific Vista Ranch series, Nobody Else But You, launching into the world, the excitement outweighs the nerves. Here’s how I arrived here.
          I was thrilled to sign with a small press to publish my first romance novel, Second Chance in Laguna, in 2017. The next two books in my Finding Forever in Laguna series were released in 2017 and 2018. I learned a great deal from my editor and the wonderful people at my publisher and am forever grateful. Now that I’ve been in the industry a few years, I felt ready to try something different.
          I wanted more from my next books: more control over the publishing process and edits, more control over the covers, more control over pricing and sales, and more money. I write because I love it and I write because I want to eventually make a full-time income from it. Yes, fame, fortune, and a movie deal would be great, but hey, maybe next year.
          I began researching by asking questions and studying successful hybrid and indie authors. Tons of resources exist to discover what works and what doesn’t. I learned I needed a great developmental/content editor and knew I’d spend the bulk of my budget on edits. Working with my editor has been life changing. I received dedicated personal attention and had an hour-long phone call to discuss the first round of edits. I received feedback on what needed to change in the story to fix pacing as well as suggestions of ways to deepen emotional intensity. Also, I hired a proofreader for one final read through. Another bonus: edits have a one to two-week turnaround time as opposed to months.
          Based on recommendations and studying covers I loved online, I contacted a few different cover designers and ended up working with The Killion Group. I’m thrilled with the covers for the first three books in the series and was able to collaborate until I was satisfied they represented my stories.
          Next, I learned about formatting and uploading the books. Several companies perform both services for reasonable prices or you can do it yourself. Services like Draft2Digital are excellent and easy to use. I used Killion Group. My books are on every major site and I’m using Ingram Spark for print because bookstores, libraries, and I can easily order them!
         After the initial research and decisions, I was set. Now, I have my team in place for future books. In terms of the money? I’ll be making more than double in royalties at seventy percent, so anticipate earning back what I spent up front quickly. Most importantly, these books reflect my writing and style completely and that’s priceless.

We thank Claire for her candid response to our questions and wish her a lot of luck.
         Here's an excerpt from Nobody Else But You

     Swallowing a flutter of nerves in her throat, she rapped on the door. She was simply going for business. Ranch business. Bringing him dinner was simply being polite, like her father had raised her to be. So why was her heart hammering against her ribcage?
     “It’s unlocked.” A muffled voice called. So much for manners. Holt apparently didn’t seem to bother with them.
     She hesitated a moment. She smoothed back an errant strand into the ballet bun she hadn’t bothered to unravel. Although she’d changed out of her dance gear into her favorite old pair of jeans and a super-soft t-shirt, she hadn’t been in the mood to mess with her hair. Briefly, she regretted not being more like her twin sister, talented with makeup and hair. But, nope, Dylan had received the lion’s share of feminine genes.
     Whatever.
     She opened the door, and then froze. He was rubbing his hair dry with a white towel slung over one shoulder. The pristine white material emphasized his bronzed skin. Tiny beads of moisture clung to chiseled pecs and the light sprinkling of golden hair on his chest was the only thing preventing him from looking like a marble statue. Barely. Shredded eight-pack abs and sharp V-cuts of muscle converged at the waistband of a pair of jeans as faded as her own. Her mouth suddenly parched, she swallowed. Hard.
     “Sorry, I got stuck on the phone.” He grinned and tossed the towel onto a nearby chair.
      She jerked her gaze up to his face, which had to be safer, right? Her pulse thrummed in her temple and heat descended to her belly. Damn. His face was definitely not safer than his gorgeous body.
     “How’d you get that scar?” She blurted out the words, desperate to distract herself from his pure physical presence. He really needed to put on a shirt. Pronto.
     “Scar? Which one?” He laughed, seemingly oblivious to her reaction, thank goodness.
     “Forehead. The one across your forehead.” A flaw. Weren’t scars flaws? Why did it make him look just a little dangerous? And it did save him from utter perfection. Didn’t it?

To learn more about Claire Marti and the stories she creates, go to:


Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/clairepmarti

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/clairepmarti


Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/claire-marti


To purchase Nobody Else But You, go to:

AMAZON: https://amzn.to/2YT4b36

B&N: https://bit.ly/2Tot1GO

KOBO: https://bit.ly/2TpyGg8


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting and asking about my experience with indie. So far so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Claire. Self-pubbing is an idea I've been toying with, so thank you for sharing your experience. I hope it works out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete