Sunday, November 3, 2019

A Stranger in the Family

Wild Women Authors is pleased to feature Wild Rose Press author Nancy S. Reece who is celebrating the release of A Stranger in the Family, a contemporary romantic suspense out of the Crimson Rose line. Nancy has brought along female protagonist, Lyric McKinney-Takeda.
Where are you from? Originally from Shannon, Ireland, I’ve been living and attending school in the Atlanta, Georgia area for the past five years.
Tell us a bit about A Stranger in the Family. It tells of how I met my husband, Colonel Yuri Takeda of the United Russian Republics Special Forces, and our struggles to move past the nasty polarization that comes from working on opposite sides of the conflict our world finds itself embroiled within. As both of us are engineers at heart, Yuri and I desire to leave the military and its headaches behind to work together on a truly new fighter that can take this planet to the stars. But our families are determined to keep us apart for purely political reasons. In our case, the enemy of my enemy is my true love.
What did you think the first time you saw Yuri Takeda? My first thought on meeting Yuri after a conference at the Georgia Institute of Technology on gyroscopic engines, an important component of space going vehicles, was that he was tall. Given that I’m almost six feet tall myself, it was a relief to meet a man I had to look up to in order to appreciate.
What was your second thought? My second thought was he’s a world-class asshole. And he still is, at times. It took a while to figure out that the coldness and distance was only a way of protecting himself from the outside world. We’ve both grown up in families that put duty to country before family, which left us feeling very alone. That shared life experience, along with our passion for flying, also helped us overcome the initial awkwardness in our conversations. Though we both travel quite a bit for our jobs, text messaging and Facetime calls helped ease the loneliness as well as gave us time to really get to know each other, our dreams and our fears.
Was it love at first sight? I was intrigued at first sight, but given our relative positions in our respective organizations it seemed like madness to try and build anything more than a professional friendship. However, I underestimated Yuri’s interest in me, and by the time I realized this was more than ‘like’, we were headed full speed toward a permanent relationship.
What do you like most about him? Yuri is my touchstone. He keeps me grounded when things begin to fall apart. He’s always thinking five steps ahead, which served us well once our relationship was exposed to the press, and we had to make a run for our lives to escape military tribunals for fraternizing with the enemy. Our rough edges mesh well together.
How would you describe him? Intelligent, compassionate, calculating, and sexy as hell.
Works for us; how would Yuri describe you? On a good day or a bad one? A good day, I’m his every wish come true. On a bad day, I’m an Irish Banshee.
Good one! What made you choose the military for a career? My step-father wanted me to marry for political reasons. The only way to assert my independence and escape a loveless marriage was to join the Allied Forces. Given my background in engineering and flying, Research and Development of Future Vessels was a natural fit. Also, with really pissing off my step-father was a delightful bonus.
What is your biggest fear? Being trapped in a life not of my choosing where I’m a doll to be trotted out for special functions and ignored or berated for my intelligence.
How do you relax? I love to swim, I love to fly, almost any outdoor activity really eases my stress.
Who is your favorite fictional character? Frodo from The Lord of the Rings. A perfect example of how it isn’t the size of the hero, it’s the size of the heart inside that hero. The smallest mouse can bring down the mightiest elephant.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Live your own truth. Nothing else will feel natural, and the falseness will eat away like a cancer.
Thank you, Lyric for taking the time away from your career, married life and the new baby. [oops, spoiler alert!]. We'd now like to talk with Nancy.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? All the books I’ve read have had an impact on my writing. My mother was a librarian, so I grew up among the stacks and card catalogs. Every story fed my imagination, allowing me to grow my own fantasies. As for movies, the ones I enjoy the most are the ones closest to the actual books. There have been several series where the movies disappointed as they varied so wildly from the books.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? My father was an Aeronautic Engineer, and a flight instructor in the Army Air Corp during WW2. After the war he worked for United Air Lines for more than 35 years. I took my first flight at the age of three months and have loved flying ever since. The careers of Yuri and Lyric are in honor of him, and our shared love of the open skies.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? My publisher is The Wild Rose Press, and I ADORE them! My first fantasy series was published with a small company and I wasn’t terribly happy with the results. I asked several of my friends who have been published by several houses and got their input based upon what this series is about and the books themselves, and the overwhelming response was TWRP. I love my editor, who is so so patient with me, and has really worked hard with me to help the texting messages in this book show up as this encompasses a large portion of the romance between the main characters.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Every year I re-read The Lord of the Rings so they stay on my pile. Lately I been reading a lot of fan fiction online, mainly to get out of my own head and clear out the cobwebs.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? The next book in the Family Devlyn series, “The Family Business” is ready for my final editing and should be to my editor within the month. I also have a Paranormal I’m finishing titled “Urban Wolf” about a pack of Lycan’s who live in a high-rise downtown.
To learn more about our feature author, go to:


To purchase A Stranger in the Family, go to:
Amazon.com

BN.com



2 comments: