Monday, April 20, 2020

Kat Out of the Bag

Wild Women Authors welcomes author Wendy Kendall and Katherine Watson as they celebrate Kat Out of the Bag, a recent contemporary release out of the Wild Rose Press.

Katherine, tell us a bit about Kat Out of the Bag. This mystery novel introduces me, Katherine Watson, international purse designer/amateur sleuth. What a mystery it is. I was expecting rave reviews about my purse museum's gala opening, not 'Murder at the Premiere' headlines. The mayor of Bayside killed, and the murderer escaped. Local cop Jason Holmes and his K-9 partner Hobbs are on the case, but I have some theories of my own. Matching wits with Jason can be aggravating, and intriguing but there comes a time when all my focus must be on solving the murder or else I might become the killer's next knock off.
What made you choose purse design for a career? Katherine Watson designs are celebrated around the world. Can you think of anything more fun? More wonderful? Purses have been a passion of mine since I was a little girl. It was my great grandmother who first showed me that a woman's purse is a glimpse into her life and her story. My Purse-onality Museum reflect women's stories through the decades.
Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stick with being a purse designer? Yes definitely, but I do enjoy a little sleuthing on the side.
What is your biggest fear? I'm claustrophobic, even in clutch situations.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Anne Shirley. I admire her great imagination and her passion to live life fully.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Moonjava is the museum's historian, and my mother. She created her own name from the Universe, and I nicknamed her MJ. She tells anyone who will listen the ever changing, daily meditations that she reflects on. Often I'm too busy to take much notice, but one day she said something that struck a chord – Sometimes you have to stop thinking so much and just go where your heart takes you.
Thanks for taking time away from designing purses, Katherine. We'd like to chat with Wendy for a bit.
Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies have had a major impact on your writing? I am a great fan of the characters and cozy mysteries authored by Laura Childs.
With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? I am a purse fanatic, with my own small collection that has samples from many past decades, and so it's a joyful topic for me. I am an avid reader, especially of cozy mysteries. That was the initial spark. I did research on a trip to the fabulous Esse Purse Museum in Little Rock, Arkansas. Anita Davis, the incredible owner, and her staff were very generous with their time as I investigated everything about their museum. That trip honed part of the plot and some characterizations. And another exciting aspect of research I did was interviews at a police station, including an all night ride along with an officer and his K-9 partner. This was so helpful in creating my character Jason Holmes, who is a great counterpart and love interest for amateur sleuth Katherine Watson.
Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them; what influenced you to submit to them; how is the submission process; what is the turn-around time from date of query to date of release? The Wild Rose Press is home to over 3,500 active titles, and 500 authors worldwide. It was founded in 2006 by RJ Morris and Rhonda Penders on the belief that creating a quality product and taking care of their authors is the only way to publish. They've created a garden where writers grow. I heard about them at the Pacific Northwest Writers Association Conference. I pitched my book to one of their editors, and she was interested. Months later when I felt my book was ready I submitted my manuscript to her. I think the turn-around time can vary, but I know that whenever you hear that you're offered a contract, that is the sweetest of all days!

What are you reading right now? You can always keep up with what I'm reading in my syndicated column, Recommended Reads https://myedmondsnews.com/?s=recommended+reads&post_type=post

What's next for you? With fingers crossed, I've submitted to my editor a prequel novella to Kat Out of the Bag. I'm also finishing a first draft of the sequel. The working title is - A Whole New Bag

To learn more about Wendy Kendall_ and the stories she creates go to:

To purchase Kat Out of the Bag, go to:



5 comments:

  1. Katherine sounds like a fantastic character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with the new release from a fellow TWRP author.
    Marilyn Baron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the interview with both of you! Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the interview! Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! Best of luck, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete