Thursday, February 9, 2023

The Firstborn Son by Kaia Misk

A reluctant mafia princess marries a firstborn son to stop a citywide turf war. May the best wiseguy win.

Becoming a ruthless mob boss like his father is the last thing Frankie Renzi wants, but when Sofia Ciambatti’s father is gunned down, Frankie must become the very thing he loathes to protect the woman he loves. Sofia was devoted to Frankie, until he stood her up and she questioned his fidelity. Now that she’s alone and an heiress, mafia suitors slither around her. 

Marriage to him might be her only hope.


 Wild Women Authors features Kaia Misk and The Firstborn Son, book 1 The Renzi Affairs, a contemporary romantic suspense out of the Wild Rose Press. With Kaia is Frankie Renzi who will go first.  

Good morning, Frankie. Let’s start with where you are from. Pittsburgh, PA

Tell us a bit about The Firstborn Son.  It exposes my crazy family and the one good thing that came from that life, Sofia.

What did you think the first time you saw Sofia? Not sure I remember. We had known each other forever, like all the families did. It was after college, after I saw her grow into a woman, that I took interest.

And your second thought? After seeing how beautiful she was, I couldn’t think at all.

Was it love at first sight?  No. I don’t believe in that.

What do you like most about her? There’s no one thing. She’s successful without me as a restauranteur, she’s smart and pretty. She doesn’t take crap from me. But most of all, she understands me. She knows everything about my past, my family, and she still accepts me.

How would you describe Sofia? Fussy but elegant. Demanding but giving. Fierce but feminine.

How would she describe you? After she tells you what a pain I am, she’d say I’m a leader.

Hah! What made you choose the mob life for a career? Well, it chose me and it is not my career. I’m a businessman with an MBA and I run a large construction company. It’s a family business that my father had, and his father before him. I’m taking it to the next level.

What is your biggest fear? Losing Sofia.

How do you relax? I don’t.

Who is your favorite fictional character? Does the President of the United States count? He seems so far away from real life.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Trust no one.

Thanks for spending time with us, Frankie. Now it’s time for Kaia to have a say.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Classic literature required by college professors made me want to read for pleasure alone for the rest of my life. Other than that, Las Dos Elenas by Carlos Fuentes (in Spanish), Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Lady Chatterly’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence are three stories I will never forget. I suppose they all feed my love for romance. Also, I like action and mystery movies. For example, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi was almost non-stop action. I tried to imagine writing the script. When I write, I often have a picture in my mind of what the characters look like, where they are. It’s the same when I read. I’m disappointed in a novel that cannot help me create the picture.

Is there an event in your private life that you were able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I used a lot of personal history as a setting in the novel because I know it so well. Uncle Nutsy’s character is a combination of my own Uncle Ignatius/Ignazio and an Italian tailor I worked with when I sewed at a men’s store. My grandfather who was born in 1902, left school after the fifth grade, and went to work in the mills. He was a gruff man who was devoted to his family. All Italian families I know have a hierarchy. He was the head of the family. Anything he wanted, he got. His wishes were always first. Our family stories have been handed down through generations. My cousins can’t wait to read the book.

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? On submission, an editor at The Wild Rose Press recommended books that would teach me how to write. I studied and rewrote my book, using the information to create something better. The Wild Rose Press accepted the novel soon after.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I just finished one by Kat Martin and am looking for more. Although Meet You In Hell was recommended to me.

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves?The Second Son, the next book in the Renzi Affairs series, is well on its way. Joey has always been my favorite character. He became a fun figure in my first writing attempt as a side character, then again in The Firstborn Son. I hope to have his story out by the end of 2023. I started Tiny’s story as well. Strong and silent, one never knows what goes on in the big guy’s mind.

Is there anything else you’d like to have our readers know? During the month of February, I’m giving away a $20 Amazon gift card and a $20 Barnes and Noble gift card in a drawing on February 28, 2023 at 5 p.m.

Anyone who signs up for my newsletter will be included in the drawing. Here is the link to sign up. https://www.kaiamisk.com/newsletter/


Here's a bit about today’s featured authorKaia Misk is a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, otherwise known as a "Yinzer." Her maternal grandparents came from Italy and her father's family from the area now known as Slovakia. Her parents grew up across the street from each other in a small town where most people worked in the steel mills. Their ethnicity was a strong part of her childhood which included foods, holidays and religion. Several of her characters are based on her family members and other Pittsburghers.

     Kaia has a background in legal and technical writing. She is particularly inspired by the Hat Squad books of Karen Rose and Joe Lansdale's novels, although her first love was by Fyodor Dostoevsky. She currently lives in suburban Pittsburgh with her Norwegian Elkhound, Boss.

 

Kaia brought an excerpt for us:

“I mean someone that puts me first. Like my father.” Her hands went to her hips.

“Oh, I’m not signing up to be your father, sweet. I want way more than that.”

Lust, anxiety, and fear of a lonely future came to a fiery head within him. He prowled closer. Grabbed her hand and pulled her to him. Heedless of the open window, he braced his arm behind her back and one hand behind her head. When he pressed his mouth against hers, she struggled for a moment. He almost let her go.

Slowly, her body settled. Chest to chest, hip to hip, her voracious kiss gave him hope. But he had to be clever, had to keep her mouth occupied so she wouldn’t argue. He stripped off his shirt and broke the kiss for a second.

Big mistake. She slapped him. The magic ended.

“This can’t happen, Frankie,” she said and stomped away from him. “You don’t get to seduce me and pretend everything’s all right. I love you. I want your body. I can hardly stand here and look at your chest without ripping the rest of your clothes off. But I need more than you’re giving me.”

 

To learn more Kaia Misk and the stories she creates, go to:

Website: www.kaiamisk.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/KaiaMisk

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KaiaMiskAuthor/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authorkaiamisk/

YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/@KaiaMisk/featured

 

Here are some places to buy The Firstborn Son:

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Firstborn-Son-Renzi-Affairs-Book-ebook/dp/B0BPLLTJX9?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-firstborn-son-kaia-misk/1142840680

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/68044334-the-firstborn-son

IndieBound https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781509246755

Alibris: https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?keyword=9781509246755&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=GwEz7vxblVU&utm_campaign=10&siteID=GwEz7vxblVU-i8cp942pBAOYRUB0p5M1RQ

  

1 comment: