Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Accidental Allies by Karina Bartow

 Wild Women Authors features Karina Bartow and Accidental Allies, a contemporary mystery and current release out of the Wild Rose Press. With Karina today is Orlando police officer Gus Channing who will go first.

Good morning, Gus. Thanks for joining us. Let’s start with you telling us a bit about Accidental Allies: The novel follows one of my detectives, Minka Avery, as she returns to Orlando PD after a six-year hiatus. My decision to rehire her following such a lengthy absence wasn’t popular with some of the top brass, and when the courthouse was bombed, that investigation put us all under the microscope. The case took many twists and turns, but Detective Avery proved her time away from the department didn’t diminish her skills by any means.     

What made you choose law enforcement for a profession? I wanted to help people. While there are many ways to do that, I’ve always been aware of the crookedness in the world and viewed joining the force as the means to combat it.

Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stick with being a police officer or do something different? Even though I hate the politics that come with the job, I have no regrets. In Accidental Allies, I was forced to consider other options, but nothing seemed to fit. It’s a part of me.

What is your biggest fear? From a philosophical perspective, I’d say it’s being unable to provide for my family. In general, however, it’s potato chips. Call me crazy, but I’m just weirded out by the texture and everything. 

Who is your favorite fictional character? Frank Reagan, from the television series “Blue Bloods”. The show first premiered when I was a young detective, and as I pursued moving up in the ranks, he was my role model as a commanding officer. He expects the respect owed to him as a commissioner, but he’s fair and kind in his duties. 

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Don’t judge a book by its cover…unless, of course, it’s Accidental Allies!  

Excellent way to end the interview. Thank you, Gus. Now we’d like to chat with Karina.

Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, [or both] have had a major impact on your writing? I didn’t realize it until recently, but Shawn Spencer, from the television series “Psych” and the overall writing on that show has really influenced my style. I loved Shawn’s kooky methods and the way they twisted the mysteries in such an unexpected and insane manner. It made me want to challenge readers’ minds while still making them laugh.  

With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? My main research pertained to the bombing itself—much to my mother’s chagrin, I may add! I also researched the surrounding area of the courthouse, as I’d never been in that part of Orlando until after I finished my first draft. When I learned there was a diner across from it, that coerced me to make it a key role in the plot, especially since one of my friends in high school ran a diner and inspired a fun character to incorporate.  

Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them; what influenced you to submit to them; how is the submission process; what is the turn-around time from date of query to date of release?  I’ve enjoyed the privilege of working with The Wild Rose Press for my past two novels. Since they published Brother of Interest, the forerunner to Accidental Allies, I hoped they’d like it, and to my thrill, they did! It was the first time in my career that I only sent out one query. I initially submitted it in late January, and it came out yesterday, ten months later.  

What are you reading right now? Pink Lemonade Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke

What's next for you? I’m working on another novel in the Unde(a)feated Detective Series, as well as two mini-installments in the form of short stories that Author TG Wolff will feature on her Mysteries to Die For podcast.

 

To learn more about Karina Bartow and the stories she creates go to:

Website

Blog

 Goodreads

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

 

To purchase Accidental Allies, go to:

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Accidental-Allies-Unde-feted-Detective-ebook/dp/B0CHWKQ98F

Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/accidental-allies-karina-bartow/1144069605;jsessionid=D196D6EF2F76C613F15D81D65BCDF7D5.prodny_store02-atgap06?ean=9781509252077

Books-A-Million: https://www.booksamillion.com/p/Accidental-Allies/Karina-Bartow/9781509252077?id=8973185582242

Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unde-a-Feated-Detective-Accidental-Allies-Series-3-Paperback-9781509252077/5087500511?from=/search   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment