Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Island Detour by Maria Imbalzano

 Some detours are worth the trouble…

      Falsely accused of wrongdoing at a Princeton Prep school, Sophie Kearns accepts a temporary teaching position at an environmental school in the Florida Keys to wait out her suspension. The time away is meant to be an anxiety-free escape, but her clashes with the hot but arrogant marine biology teacher, Max Heaton, are anything but tranquil.

     Max is determined to start an environmental research institute at the school, but he suspects the gorgeous new Lit teacher, who lacks even the most basic outdoor skills, is there to hinder that dream. Yet, something about her tames the demons from his past, and he can no longer ignore the fire she’s lit inside him.

 Wild Women Authors features New Jersey author Maria Imbalzano and Island Detour, a contemporary romance, recently released out of the Wild Rose Press. With Maria is teacher Sophie Kearns who will go first.

Good morning, Sophie. Thanks for visiting with us. Let’s begin with where you are from. Princeton, NJ.

Tell us a bit about Island Detour. This is the story of what happened to me when I was suspended from my dream job at the Valen School. I had just been nominated to become the Chair of the English Department—a huge stepping-stone to my ultimate goal of becoming the Head of School—when a video surfaced on social media that more than ruffled feathers at Valen. I was suspended immediately until an investigation could ensue and hopefully clear me. But I couldn’t just sit around while the board moved at a snail’s pace to investigate. So I called a friend of mine who runs Sunrise Island School in the Florida Keys to see about going down to visit. That led to a job for a semester teaching English, but the teachers there are also expected to engage in outdoor activities with the students as well as the other staff (which I didn’t find out about until I arrived). I’m more of a scholar who studies English Lit and writes papers for publication on the subject. I have never fished, kayaked, camped, or learned how to swim. This job is going to be more of a challenge than I had assumed.

What did you think the first time you saw Max Heaton? He picked me up at the airport, since my friend Andy, the director of the school, was busy. At first, he seemed mildly friendly, and he was over-the-top handsome, but within minutes of meeting him, he started telling me how hard the job would be, including having to do those outdoor activities I mentioned above. I thought he was kidding. My friend, Andy, knew I was not the outdoorsy camping, fishing, boating kind of gal. After that frightening conversation, he started grilling me on why I came to teach at a school where I clearly didn’t fit in. His warnings seemed to come with a wicked smile—as if he knew I wouldn’t last a week.  

What was your second thought? The next time I saw Max was in the open-air dining hall at dinner that night. All the other teachers were friendly and kind, but when I relayed that I didn’t know how to kayak, scuba dive, or camp to the others, he chimed in by calling me a prima donna in a none too friendly voice. Then he questioned my credentials. Our second encounter was even worse than our first.

Oh boy. It likely wasn’t love at first sight, correct? Absolutely not!

What do you like most about him? It took a while to get to know Max. He was an amazing biology teacher and engaged so easily with the students. He loved spending time with them after class, taking them on kayak tours to learn about marine life, or going camping with them to teach them how to survive in nature. He really cared about the environment and wanted to share his knowledge with others. He was nurturing, but not overly, allowing the kids to make mistakes and learn on their own. But he always had his eyes open, watching out for them, making sure they were safe.

How would you describe him? Max was a loner when he wasn’t with the kids. He enjoyed taking a rowboat out in the morning, just as the sun rose, to experience the peace and calm of being the only one out on the gulf. He loved walking the beach at sunset, enjoying the ever-changing colors of the sky against the blue horizon. He was also driven. He wanted to start an environmental research institute at the school, and although Andy was not on board, he persisted with his arguments at ever turn. He was also controlling, a rules-follower, arrogant, and devastatingly handsome.

Oh boy. How would he describe you? Conservative in my dress (he ridiculed my Bermuda shorts and button-down sleeveless blouses until I finally changed my wardrobe), a conformist, given my need to fit in, a great teacher who the kids loved, a hard worker, goal oriented, and collaborative.

What made you choose teaching for a career? I had an English teacher in high school who changed my life. I was floundering, almost failing because I was rebelling against the unfairness of not being able to go to the school I wanted to go to. Mrs. McCarthy lassoed me in and wouldn’t let go. I wanted to do the same for future high school students who felt like they didn’t belong.

What is your biggest fear? Not fitting in. Standing on the outside, looking in.

How do you relax? I don’t. I teach, I prepare, I write scholarly articles for publication, and I run a teaching academy during the summer for teachers.  

Who is your favorite fictional character? Jay Gatsby, mostly because I like to hear my students discuss his character after the book is assigned to them. It’s unclear throughout most of the book as to where he’s from, his cultural origin, where or if he went to college, and how he made his millions. Listening to my students’ opinions on these subjects, as well as whether they like him or not, is so entertaining.   

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Make education fun and your students will learn even more than you intended.

Thanks, Sophie. This has been very interesting. Now we’d like to speak with Maria.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I’m definitely a book person. “Gone With The Wind” was the first book with an emotional romance in it that I read and loved. All romance books by Judith McNaught had an impact on me, but especially “Perfect.” But it was a Danielle Steele book (I don’t remember which one) that had me talking to the pages, saying “I bet I could do this.”

Is there an event in your private life that you were able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? My husband and I have been going to Key West every year for the past 37 years. I know the island well and used it when creating Sunrise Island (a fictional key). My characters also visit Key West twice—once for a girls day of shopping and pampering and once when the teachers have a day off and go snorkeling off a catamaran they charter. The setting is a big part of this book and my knowledge of the Keys definitely helped.

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I had given up looking for an agent. I had one for a few years, but I was not a priority for her and I finally cut the cord. With no agent, its next to impossible to submit to one of the big publishing houses, so I researched smaller publishers. The Wild Rose Press was one of them. I also knew two authors from NJ Romance Writers who had published with them, and they gave me positive feedback. The first manuscript I sent them was women’s fiction and they rejected it. They wanted pure romance. The next time I submitted to them, they sent me a contract. That was eleven years ago and I have been with them ever since. “Island Detour” is my tenth published book.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? “The Light We Lost” by Jill Santopolo, “Iona Iverson’s Rules for Commuting” by Clare Pooley, and “The Diamond Eye” by Kate Quinn.

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’m trying to finalize the fourth and final book of the Sworn Sisters Series, called “Sworn to Collide.” This book has been very difficult to write because the heroine is married and she and her husband separate. It’s not my usual romance. So I’m now rewriting it as a “Then” and “Now” book so the romance is strong in the “Then” parts.

 Maria brought an excerpt for us:  

     “People usually wear bathing suits when they go out on the water,” he growled, knowing the only purpose of his statement was to attack her. “Although, maybe you don’t own one. Swimming may be too outdoorsy for you.”

     Even that didn’t give rise to a comment from her. She just pulled her knees closer to her chest and stared ahead. But he needed a fight. And even though Andy should have been his target, he had Sophie sitting in his boat.

     “You must have really snowed Andy for him to give you a job here. Unless there’s another motive.” Come on. Tell me.

     “You make it sound so sinister. I am not here for any disingenuous reason, as you seem to think.” Her words steamed through gritted teeth.

     She wasn’t going to admit it. He’d just have to hit her over the head with it, then. “Has Andy talked to you about bringing your teaching academy down here? Is that why you came?”

     “What?” Her eyes flew open wide, along with her mouth. “What are you talking about?” Genuine shock emerged at his accusation.

     He was either totally off base or witnessing a superb actress at work.

     She sat up straighter. “I’m here because I wanted to take a break. Andy was nice enough to give me a job for the semester. Why would he want me to bring my teaching academy down here?”

     Irritation put more color in her cheeks, and she seemed to be breathing easier. He guessed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation was uncalled for. Too bad.

To learn more about Maria Imbalzano and the stories she creates, go to:

Website:  http://www.mariaimbalzano.com

https://www.facebook.com/mariaimbalzanoauthor

http://www.twitter.com/mariaimbalzano @mariaimbalzano

https://www.instagram.com/mariaimbalzano_author

 

To purchase Island Detour, go to: 

https://books2read.com/u/4D20y7

 

1 comment:

  1. You have created interesting characters, an attractive setting and a plot with punch for readers of your genre to enjoy, Maria. Incidentally, this month I liked the cover of ‘Island Detour’ so much, I voted for it in the February All Author Cover of the Month Contest.

    ReplyDelete