Monday, October 1, 2018

Feature: Nicole McCaffrey and Wild Texas Wind

. . . . . All Raz Colt wants is land, a quiet peaceable existence and to put his life as a hired gun in the past. When the chance to earn a sizable fortune by rescuing a kidnapped heiress comes his way, he seizes the opportunity. Trouble is, the heiress doesn't want to be rescued. Offsetting Arden O'Hara's beauty is a rattlesnake personality and shrewish temper. Despite her claim that she faked the kidnapping so her fiancé would ride to her rescue, Raz knows someone is out to kill her. And if anyone gets the pleasure of wringing her lovely neck, it's going to be him.
. . . . . Arden O'Hara is desperate to go home. Her fiancé was supposed to ride to her rescue, proving it's her---and not her father's money--- he loves. Instead an arrogant stranger, with weapons strapped gun-fighter low and a decided lack of sympathy for her situation, shows up spouting a ridiculous tale about someone trying to kill her. It's infuriating when Raz Colt's claims prove true after not one but several attempts are made on her life. She has no idea who this fast gun with the deadly aim is, or why he makes her feel as wild and untamed as the Texas wind. But like it or not, if anyone is capable of getting her home alive, it's Raz Colt.
Wild Women Authors is honored to have Nicole McCaffrey with us for a few days as she celebrates the release of the audio version of her western romance Wild Texas Wind. She brought along a friend, a man not to be forgotten, Raz Colt.
Where are you from, Raz? Texas, down around San Antone.
Tell us a bit about Wild Texas Wind. I was hired to find a kidnapped heiress and bring her home to her daddy. Untouched. I wasn’t expecting her to be so much trouble. And I sure as hell didn’t expect that whole “untouched” thing to be an issue. But keeping my hands off her wasn’t easy. Especially once I made the mistake of kissing her.
What did you think the first time you saw Arden O'Hara? Since she was spitting cuss words and had just missed hitting some poor guy in the head with a ceramic pitcher, I kind of thought she was a spoiled pain in the ass. 
Hah! What was your second thought? That she was definitely a spoiled pain in the ass.
So, was it love at first sight? Well, I was in love with the amount of money her daddy was paying me to find her. And the idea that it was enough for me to buy a little piece of land and retire from gun fighting.
What do you like most about Arden? Probably her fire, her spirit. She doesn’t scare easy, I did everything I could think of to intimidate her and she never flinched. The girl has guts, I have to give her that.
How would you describe her? A spoiled pain in the ass.
How would she describe you? The word bastard comes up a lot.
What made you choose working as a hired gun for a career? I don’t think I ever chose it. It chose me. When you’re good at something, that’s what you do. I hunt bounty, settle disputes, that sort of thing.
What is your biggest fear? Every gunfighter knows eventually there’s a younger, faster gun out there somewhere and sooner or later your paths are going to cross. It only ends one way.
How do you relax? A fine cigar, a glass of bourbon and a pretty little soiled dove go a long way toward helping a man to relax.
Who is your favorite fictional character? Gun fighting doesn’t leave a lot of time for reading but I do like Oliver Twist.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Never kill a man in cold blood.
Unh huh. Well, this has been interesting, Raz. We never fail to come away from encounters with you wearing a smile. . . [wink wink]. We'd like to chat with Nicole now.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I grew up watching John Wayne movies with my Grandma so True Grit, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Rio Bravo. I also love The Magnificent Seven, Silverado, Tombstone. But I really have a special fondness for comedy westerns like James Garner’s Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter, The Cheyenne Social Club, Blazing Saddles. I guess I love any movies set in the old west. As for books anything by Johanna Lindsey, Linda Lael Miler, Zane Gray.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I think it is an escape in many ways. I wrote Wild Texas Wind while dealing with my father’s dementia diagnosis and through the sadness of losing him one memory at a time (he passed away in 2013). That’s probably why Arden’s relationship and closeness with her father is a theme throughout the book.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I have been published with The Wild Rose Press since 2006 when they were a brand-new company. A big-name publisher was interested in Wild Texas Wind but I knew TWRP was the best fit for my story because I had worked with them on my two contemporary releases, Small Town Christmas and The Model Man. They really know how to treat their authors and I felt I was involved throughout the process.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Oh dozens. I can’t wait to read Kim Turner’s new contemporary western All But the Fall and I have several Laura Strickland books on my kindle waiting to be read, including her new Christmas release, The Toy Maker’s Secret.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? Wild Texas Bride is Kip Cooper’s story. Kip is sort of Raz’s self-appointed side kick throughout most of WTW. He's a confidence man, swindler, small-time thief and a master of disguise. He basically charmed his way through the book. Which made him a lot of fun to write, and very popular with readers. Turning someone like that into a hero, however, and finding a heroine who is up for the challenge has been tricky, so the story is still in progress, though I’m hoping to wrap things up soon.

Here is the rough version of my tag line: He’s trying to change his lying, cheating, gambling ways. But trouble keeps finding him.

Where can we find you?
I am on Facebook, and I have a blog (sometimes I even update it! ��).
I can also be reached at nmccaffreyauthor@yahoo.com
Where can we find Wild Texas Wind? The book is now out on audiobook and available at Audible as well as through The Wild Rose Press and Amazon. I have to say, I was completely blown away by the amazing job the narrator, Dawson McBride, did. He was the perfect fit for Raz and seemed to “get” his character right from the start. Raz is a man of few words and doesn’t like to explain himself and Dawson just absolutely nailed the Raz attitude! Here is a link to Audible where you can listen to the audio sample. It’s amazing!!!
The e-book is available at all major e-book retailers and the print version is available as well.

Nicole also brought an excerpt from Wild Texas Wind:

     He stepped forward to place a hand on her elbow. “I’m here to take you home.”
     Her gaze dropped to the hand resting on her arm. “I’m not going anywhere—certainly not with you.”
     “There’s a man on his way here to kill you.”
     To his surprise, she laughed. “Kill me? Indeed.”
     He strode toward the door. “You want to wait around and find out, that’s fine with me.”
     “Is Geoffrey coming?”
     Hand on the knob, he turned. “Geoffrey?”
     “Mr. Davis, my fiancé. I would imagine he’s heading up the rescue party?”
     “Rescue party?”
     “Yes, rescue party.” She gave a huff of impatience. “Do you have some affliction that causes you to repeat my every word?”
     He chose to ignore the barb. He’d met Geoffrey Davis at the ranch with H.H. O’Hara.       At first Davis appeared in worse shape than O’Hara, alternately sobbing and talking about the missing Arden in the past tense, as if he assumed she were already dead. But he’d come out of his “grief” long enough to sneer that a half-breed with a gun for hire shouldn’t be trusted with O’Hara’s money. Or his daughter’s life. Going on gut instinct, Raz guessed the man—with his pretty face and small, pale hands that had never seen a day’s work—was next to useless.
     “You think that simpering mama’s boy is going to ride to your rescue?”
     Eyes the color of new grass narrowed with enough chill to freeze the entire state of Texas. In August. “Geoffrey’s devotion to his mother is commendable. Further, I won’t tolerate the likes of you insulting the man I’m going to marry.”
     Raz jerked a thumb toward his chest. “I happen to be your so-called ‘rescue party’. Pretty-boy Davis is already planning your funeral.”
     She paled. “My …funeral?”
     “Damned if this so-called ‘affliction’ of mine isn’t catching. Yes, funeral. Davis is convinced you’re already dead.”
     “Then who hired you, if anyone really did?”
     “Does the word daddy ring any bells, sweetheart?”
     One hand flew to her mouth. “How did he find out? He’s supposed to be on a cattle drive.”
     Folding his arms over his chest, he leaned against the door. “What the hell does that mean?”
     “Nothing.” She turned away. “There’s absolutely nothing for him to worry about.”
     “Uh-huh. What about the guy on his way here to kill you?”
     She glanced over her shoulder. “How do I know it’s not you?”
     “You’re still alive, aren’t you?” He stepped away from the door. “Listen, sweetheart, let’s make this easy on both of us. You come with me, I get my money, Daddy gets his little girl back. Everybody’s happy. Comprende?”
     Indecision crossed her face. “I … can’t.”
     He approached her with narrowed eyes, deliberately using a look that had been the undoing of men twice her size. He had to give her credit though, she never flinched.
Only when they were nose to nose—or, in her case, nose to chest—did she make any attempt to halt him. One palm came up to smack him in the torso. “I’ll double whatever my father offered if you’ll go away and leave me here.”
     “You can’t afford to pay me off; you don’t get any money until you’re married.”
     “How do you know that?”
     “I spent some time with daddy the other night.”
     Her eyes welled with emotion. “Is he—is he all right?”
     “He’ll be a damned sight better once you’re home.”
     Before she could react, Raz reached down and scooped her up. Since Miss O’Hara weighed little more than a sack of flour, he easily swung her over his shoulder. He pushed open the door and stepped out into the blinding sunlight.
     One booted foot caught him in the groin while her fists pummeled his back, and not without some amount of pain. Someone had taught the girl how to throw a punch.

Nicole is giving away a Halloween themed handcrafted cosmetic bag to someone who leaves a comment so please be sure to leave a word or two and get in the running! We've seen it and it's really cute.

17 comments:

  1. I love books that feature shrewish women (maybe that says something about me. Hmm) and always have since I first encountered Shakespeare's version in High School. This sounds like a book for me! Best of luck with the audio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! Arden was a fun character to write because she said exactly what she thought at any given time. I wish I could do that!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great conflict/romance set up and the setting is exotic to me, an East Coaster for life. Loved the excerpt and I see what you mean about writing with humor. Best wishes for success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! I'm an east coaster, too, so maybe that's why I'm drawn to something so different from where we live. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love audio books and fiesty women. Sounds like this fits both to a tee! Dementia is a terrible disease, my family is dealing that right now. Writing, reading and humor are the best escape! Good luck with your audio book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tena Stetler. I'm sorry you are dealing with dementia in your family, it truly is an awful disease. We are dealing with it in both my in-laws right now, too. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  4. Raz looks like he has his work cut out for him, but also sounds like Aden has met a worthy opponent - unlike her fiancé. Loved the excerpt! From one east coaster who loves to write westerns, to another :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb Noone! Ahh there are a lot of us here in the east who love the old west LOL. I guess the (prairie) grass is always greener LOL.

      Delete
  5. Ha! Loved their banter! Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A manly man and a feisty woman--love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alina K. Field. I once had someone say they can tell I love John Ford westerns just from reading the book. Well I hadn't pictured John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in the roles of Raz and Arden, but I can see the similarities LOL.

      Delete
  7. Your romance seems like Raz is in for trouble trying to save Arden. I like the chemistry between them already. Love Raz's interview. He seems like quite the character. Best of luck on your novel, Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I'm pleased to announce that Tena Stetler won the drawing for the Halloween cosmetic bag! Tena please contact me at nmccaffreyauthor@yahoo.com, or through Facebook to claim your prize!! I will also post the news on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview. I enjoyed getting to know Raz. Wow, what a hero! Sorry I'mlate, congrats, Tena!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alicia Dean, coming from you that is high praise indeed. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete