Monday, February 18, 2019

About Those Golden Angels . . .


Forgiven or Forsaken? A dark angel's quest to soar once again on Gylded Wings.

. . . . Angels in slavery? Brit Montgomery cannot believe it, until she is sent on a rescue mission to another dimension and witnesses the cruel practice first hand. The angel, Gyldan, is the most beautiful being she’s ever seen. She is drawn to him but sometimes beauty disguises wicked secrets. This man who rocks her world seems more demon than angel.
Wild Women Authors is pleased to feature Gylded Wings, a 2018 romantic fantasy by Linda Nightingale and released by the Wild Rose Press, We'll begin with Gyldan, a fallen angel. 
Where are you from? I began my life as a slave on the planet Anachrys. You ask how this could be, but I cannot answer. I was born December 31, in the Year of the Gods 1520 in the southern province of Angallach.
Tell us a bit about Gylded Wings. Basically, it is the story of a man finding himself. An Earthwoman Brit Montgomery was sent to Anachrys to rescue my sister, my brother, and me—four winged slaves. In the end, she only took one ‘angel’, as she called us, to her home planet. We embarked on a dangerous trek and along the way, we fell in love. When I arrived on Earth, I was to meet a new me. I found myself on a journey of self-discovery quite unlike anything I’d ever imagined.
What did you think the first time you saw Brit? I thought her the most beautiful woman I’d ever seen. She was spell-binding.
Was it love at first sight? It wasn’t exactly love. I was captivated. Love came later, in gradual steps along the journey, but I never dreamed she’d love me.
What do you like most about her? Brit is brave and a fighter. She is also an optimist.
How would you describe her? Feisty.
How would she describe you? Probably a pain in the arse.
What is your biggest fear? Having to return to the humiliation and hard life on Anachrys.
How do you relax? Wine with music.
Who is your favorite fictional character? I suppose my favorite is probably Legolas in Lord of the Rings. He is brave and dedicated to his cause, leaving behind his birthright to fight a war against evil.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? [When we were still on Anachrys], Brit told me to trust in myself and to believe in freedom. It has been a long journey, and often I doubted this advice.
Before he leaves the table, Gyldan brought an excerpt:


The lady flipped her hood back, and I stopped breathing. In her olive wool cape, she looked like a wood nymph, at once young and innocent but wise. Dark hair curled around an oval face. Without a trace of fear, big, beautiful eyes held my gaze. She didn’t belong to this dim, cruel world, and I ached merely to touch her.
Her lips parted on a soft exhalation. “You’re an ang—Malak.”
If only I could return her smile, but Ragnor would slice me in half. I was forbidden to glance at her, but couldn’t take my eyes off a vision so perfect I might have conjured her, even to the scent of the forest and rain. A memory of Miriam assaulted me, but I was helpless to control my feelings. Never had a woman affected me as this one did. I felt awkward, terribly aware of my worn clothes and the wings arched behind me, yet giddy and aroused.
My eyes offered the smile my lips were forbidden. “Yes, My Lady.”
She tilted her head to look up at me. Her gaze drifted over my wings, my face, flicked lower. “In the North, we have heard of the Malak singers. What’s your name?”
I was too shocked to answer. Like an addle-pated fool, I gaped at her, and she laughed.
“Stand aside, Gyldan.” The giant slammed his paw against my shoulder, throwing the weight of my wings to the left, and I lost my balance.
The lady’s hand shot out to steady me. Ragnor wedged his body between us. I stumbled into the wall. As I righted myself, I glimpsed an angry expression on Lady Hamlin’s face.
She stepped past Ragnor and touched my arm. “Are you all right?”
Excitement trembled over my entire body. “Yes, My Lady.”
“You’ll see the freaks perform tonight.” Ragnor shot me a dark frown, gesturing for her to follow. “Come, Lady Hamlin, I’ll guide you to your chambers.”
“Gyldan.” The sprite grinned as she smoothed a dark curl back from her face. “Do you know the way?”
“No, My Lady.” I was forced to lie to save my hide. “I have never been in this part of the castle before.”
“Off with you then.” A graceful hand shooed me along. “Be about your business, and I shall go about mine.”
She had brushed me off like an insect on her sleeve. What had I expected? That she would feel the same overwhelming attraction I felt?

Gylded Wings is available in eBook, Print and Audiobook on Amazon and other on-line sellers.

Now for a few questions for our feature author, Linda Nightingale.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Lestat by Anne Rice. I read the book, thought I can do that, and I now have eight books published, four in audio, including Gylded Wings.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Way, way back in high school, I wasn’t much of an athlete, and one of the girls who was tried to humiliate me into playing. I went to bat, but to this day, I remember her—very unkindly to say the least. So, I understood Gyldan’s shame and his rebellion at being made to do something he hated, as a slave must.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? The Wild Rose Press has been named Best Publisher for years in the Preditors & Editors Poll. I found them at a conference, but it was sometime until I submitted. A friend, a fellow TWRP author, encouraged me to do so. I plucked up my courage and sent Black Swan, a vampire short story to Callie Wolfe, Senior Editor of the Black Rose line. She took it!
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? A Terry Brooks novel, “Knight of the Word”. In my iPad is a book by Josie Riviera titled “Seeking Catherine”.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves?
I am currently working on Sinners’ Waltz, the prequel to Sinners’ Opera which will be released by The Wild Rose Press sometime this Spring.
More about Linda: Born in South Carolina, Linda has lived in England, Canada, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Atlanta and Houston.  She’s seen a lot of this country from the windshield of a truck pulling a horse trailer, having bred, trained and showed Andalusian horses for many years.
She’s won several writing awards, including the Georgia Romance Writers Magnolia Award and the SARA Merritt. She is the mother of two wonderful sons, a retired legal assistant, and member of the Houston BMW Club. In a former life, she must have had to walk everywhere because today she is into transportation: loving horses and hot cars! She likes to dress up and host formal dinner parties.
To learn more about Linda Nightingale and the books she's created, to to:



13 comments:

  1. Love the interview with Gyldan! Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your book sounds intriguing!! Glydan is a force for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, great interview! Best of luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! Interesting premise, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful interviews. All the best, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I appreciate your support and well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like another great book, Linda!
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fascinating, Linda. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete