Monday, January 20, 2020

Harrison Ranch by Susan Payne

Wild Women Authors is pleased to feature Susan Payne and Calliope St. Michaels from Susan's recent release, Harrison Ranch, Book 1 of the Sweetwater Series. Callie will go first.

Where are you from? I was raised in St. Michaels Foundling Home in New York City until I graduated at eighteen. I thought to stay forever, take vows but the Mother Superior said I had more important things to do. I don’t know what could be more important than raising parent-less children into independent adults. Ones able to earn their keep and raise families of their own.
Tell us a bit about Harrison Ranch. The first time I saw Sweetwater, the town where my train trip ended, I knew I was home. I can’t explain but everything I had been through, and some of it had been very unpleasant, melted away. It seemed perfect, absolutely perfect and the people became my friends. I can’t say enough about how everyone made me feel welcome.
What did you think the first time you saw Seth Harrison, your employer? Well, I was shocked since he was yelling at me and then my ankle gave way toppling me off the counter I was standing on. He caught me but was so angry…thought he would fire me on the spot.
What was your second thought? That he was attractive and knew it. Bossy and didn’t care who knew it. And that I may be over my head in trouble.
Was it love at first sight? No, certainly not love but I realized that he was someone special to me. I knew him after only a few words. I knew him as no one else ever would.
What do you like most about Seth? The way he cares about the men working for him, Well, everyone on the ranch. He makes it his duty that every living thing, including the employees, are safe and well taken care of. That’s how I became the ranch hands’ cook. He told his solicitor in Kansas City to hire the best so I was sent to Sweetwater. I bless the day.
How would you describe him? Physically, he’s tall and slender. More of a whipcord strength. You need to be to work a cattle and horse ranch full time. Blond hair with the bluest eyes. Reminds me of the Kansas sky in summer. And protective – too protective to my way of thinking.
How would he describe you? More than once I’ve heard him say I’m a pain in his… Well, that doesn’t matter. He sees me as delicate because I’m so small and I have this lame foot. But I’m not delicate or in need of protection. I think he finally knows that now but not at first. At first, I think he wanted to send me packing before I got hurt doing the job. Cooking for a large group isn’t that easy and means lifting heavy pots and pans all day. But I’ve done it for years. First at the orphanage and then at a posh restaurant. He has more respect for me and my abilities now.
What made you choose cooking as a career? Like all the orphans at St. Michaels, I learned how to do a little of everything. But I’m very methodical and began setting the kitchen to rights. I found that if we changed a few things, it made the work flow better. Then I was put in charge of buying and found a knack for bartering and trading making the monthly budget go further. The recipes I learned from the various nuns helped me make nourishing food without added expense.
What is your biggest fear? That Seth will get hurt. He works with wild, unbroken horses, rides with the cattle herds, has chased rustlers. Right after I first met him, he’d gotten shot and was in a coma for days. I don’t want to go through that again.
How do you relax? Promise you won’t laugh? I read cookbooks. I particularly like to read those written by ordinary people to keep track of their family favorites. I get some from Europe and have had to learn a few other languages. At least enough to know what the ingredients are.
Who is your favorite fictional character? Probably Kate in Shakespeare’s play. I think she put up a wall to hide behind but she fought for those she loved. I’d like to think I’m a little like that. Passionate about those I care about.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? That would have to be from the Mother Superior. She always had something to say to lift you up and help you choose the right path. She simply knew what was needed at the time. Probably the one about not becoming too comfortable with yourself. That we are tested and pulled in many directions so we must stay true to our inner selves while allowing other’s in. Open to change and to understand where others may be coming from.
Thank you for sharing time with us, Callie. It's now the time to chat with Susan.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? So many since I read everything, I could lay my hands on since I was eight years old. Many of them were above my comprehension level but I remember them. Pearl S Buck was one author I remember clearly.”
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? My own family on my mother’s side were extremely strong, independent women. Without much formal education, my great aunt went from nothing to being one of the wealthiest women of her town. Married at fourteen to a much older man, bearing two children, then widowed, she amassed a hotel, rental houses, bought the first automobile owned by a woman in town although she didn’t know how to drive, and other firsts. She helped raise her whole family from poverty and instilled a work ethic in all of us. I write about that kind of women – women brave enough to strike out in their own way and accomplish goals others thought impossible.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: I found The Wild Rose Press through a friend I made on line. She had a book under contract and I thought to query a few of mine to see if they had an interest. As I studied their web site, I found they would help self-publishers on an ala carte basis which is what I did. I found them very helpful going through the process and allowed me to get my stories to the public in a relatively short time.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? So many right now – mostly historical romance. I love anything by Gina Conkle – her stories are so riveting and passionate. I only read thirty to fifty a year now that I’m publishing. I still write a novel a month so most of my time goes there.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I have three more books of the Sweetwater series with two novellas per book. Montana Lineman, about a mail order bride in the 1870s is being published by Literary Wanderlust by the end of 2020. And I have plans to release a few of my London Regency novels.
Where may visitors to this blog learn more about you, Susan? You can keep up with my books by checking my web site or send me questions at – http://www.authorsusanpayne.com

To purchase Harrison Ranch and Macgregor's Mail Order Bride, Book 1, Sweetwater series, go to: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1509230289/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_KTqcEbAF0P1DV
Susan brought an excerpt for us:

          Callie lay on her bed, watching the moonlight move across the wall like a sundial marking off the hours. She was excited about going to town with Seth. She was excited about his asking her to step out with him. She was excited by the way his mouth on hers made her feel, inside where the nuns said women had to be careful not to mistake lust for love.
          She never had to understand that before. Actually, she thought she had it all under control since she never had been tempted to ‘lust’ with anyone before now. Because she had not been tempted, she thought she was in control. That was before Seth Harrison had come into her life.
          Now she knew she was not immune to ‘lust’. Just as the nuns had warned all the girls in the home, they could get caught up in ‘lust’ and lose their immortal soul. Not that Sister Mary Margaret said as much but she seemed more down-to-earth than many of the nuns at St Michaels. Callie had been under that nun’s authority far longer than any other. Sister Mary Margaret was whom Callie looked to for guidance right after the Virgin Mary.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book! Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really enjoy these characters from this series and always appreciate what they taught me as a writer. These
      were the first stories I wrote.

      Delete
  2. Interesting learning about you, Susan. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to publish these myself since I knew there was little commercial value to them. But sometimes an author finds friends she/he doesn't want to let die in a drawer.

      Delete
  3. Great interview and excerpt!
    Your book sounds like a great read
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I will finish publishing the series by the end of 2020.

      Delete
  4. Loved the excerpt! Callie sounds like a very positive heroine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Callie is special in so many ways and matures into a woman with the biggest heart. No one is ever alone once they meet her.

    ReplyDelete