Monday, January 13, 2020

Night of the Owl by Judith Sterling

.....PhD student Ardyth Nightshade has renounced men and pursues her twentieth-century career with single-minded focus. When fate whisks her to medieval England, she meets her match in a man whose passions mirror her own. Can she sacrifice ambition for a love she never sought?
.....Hugh, Lord Seacrest confounds all who know him. He refuses to marry without a meeting of minds and hearts, and no lady has even approached his ideal…until Ardyth. But she's an odd one, with unique skills, shocking habits, and total conviction she needs no man. She also harbors secrets, and in the midst of rumors, plots, and murder, trust is fragile.
.....A woman outside of her time. A man ahead of his. They must take a leap of faith to forge a bond that will shape history.

Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome author Judith Sterling as she celebrates [her wedding anniversary it appears] as well as the release of Night of the Owl, a time travel romance, published by the Wild Rose Press. With Judith is Ardyth Nightshade, a time traveling graduate student. As is our practice, Ardyth will go first.
Where are you from? I was raised in one of Chicago’s historic neighborhoods, close to the University of Chicago, where my dad was a professor of Medieval Studies.
Tell us a bit about Night of the Owl. It’s the story of my journey back to the England of AD 1102. I’d landed a job as a research assistant in the summer of 1986 and was staying at my family’s ancestral estate in Northumberland when I experienced a time slip that changed my life forever.
What did you think the first time you saw Hugh, Lord Seacrest? I thought he was the most gorgeous man I’d ever seen, with a dangerous amount of sex appeal.
What was your second thought? He seemed to be hiding something.
Was it love at first sight? Not love but a magnetic attraction.
What do you like most about Hugh? He’s as passionate about history as I am, but he also focuses his passion on me.
How would you describe him? A good and loyal man, though intense at times. He’s medieval but learning to accept more modern viewpoints…mine in particular!
How would he describe you? As the woman he was waiting for.
What made you choose academia for a career path? I come by it naturally. Both of my parents love history, and my dad wasn’t just a professor before his retirement; he was also a department head. I’ve admired him all my life.
What is your biggest fear? Losing those I love. Also high on the list is false accusation.
How do you relax? I enjoy reading, swimming, and spending time with friends and loved ones.
Who is your favorite fictional character? It’s a tie between Austen’s Elizabeth Bennet and Stoker’s Van Helsing.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? To follow my intuition. (Thanks, Mom!)
Thank you, Ardyth, for spending time with us. Now it's time to put Judith in the spotlight.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? Movies: Rebecca, The Uninvited, Gone with the Wind, Margie, and Sense and Sensibility. Books: anything by Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters, Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught, Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine, and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? There’s no single event that impacted the story, but my relationship with my husband definitely influenced it. History brought us together, just as it did Ardyth and Hugh. There’s a lot of both of us in Night of the Owl, so when the release date fell on our wedding anniversary, it seemed meant to be. Not only that, but I wore my hair like the cover model’s on my wedding day. Neither my publisher nor the cover artist knew about either coincidence.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I happened upon one of The Wild Rose Press’s books online, and it was the first I’d heard of them. I did a little research, liked what I read, and submitted my first medieval romance right away.
What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? A Demon’s Witch by Tena Stetler, Love is Lovelier by Donna Simonetta, and Dragon Knight’s Medallion by Mary Morgan.
Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? The Sword Unsheathed, the third book in my young adult paranormal series, Guardians of Erin, is moving toward publication. I’ll reveal the cover soon, and it should be released in the first quarter of 2020. I’m also writing Return of the Raven, the fifth and final book in The Novels of Ravenwood series, which should be released before the end of the year.

Judith brought an excerpt from Night of the Owl with her:
     Ardyth looked from one tunnel entrance to the next, and then the next. The ledge in front of them was substantial. It ran along the rock wall to the right, all the way to the mouth of the cave, winding around it to continue along the outer cliff.
     Again, she pointed. “Where does that lead?”
     “Shouldn’t you be doffing your clothes?”
     Her eyes narrowed. “In other words, you don’t intend to answer my question.”
     He grinned. “Clever, aren’t you?”
     She returned his smile. “I like to think so.”
     “If you’re stalling because you cannot swim—”
     “Oh, I can swim.” She could hardly wait to feel the cool water on her skin.
    He folded his arms, and his intense, gray eyes held a dare. “Then show me.”
     “Hold this.” She handed him the folded smock. Get ready to eat crow, buddy! Quickly, she removed her boots, hose, and tunics. When only her thin, white chemise remained, she stole a peek at her skeptical host. He stared at her bare feet.
     She sighed. “I know. My feet are hardly attractive. In fact, I’ve always thought my toes resemble…”
     He raised his eyebrows. “What?”
     Astronauts. But I can’t tell you that. “Nothing.”
     His eyebrows settled again, but the orbs beneath them seemed to glow with a new light. “I beg to differ with your opinion. Your feet are quite…lovely.”
     She almost laughed, until heat flooded her cheeks. I’m blushing? “Thank you,” she muttered. With an inward groan, she started toward the water.  
     For crying out loud! He only complimented your feet. Your pale, crazy, NASA-evoking feet. Get a grip!
     The ocean breeze caught the hem of her smock as she stepped into the surf. Foamy water—colder than she would’ve liked—enveloped her feet. Thank God for the heat of the sun! But this was the closest she’d come to a bath in days, and she was determined to prove her skills to the man who underestimated her at every turn. She waded forward, and the brisk, undulating water swallowed her calves, knees, thighs, and hips.
     “Lady Ardyth!”
     She turned. Her dry smock in his hands, Hugh stood with feet well apart on the wet sand.
     “You needn’t prove your courage further!” he called above the lapping, swishing voice of the sea. “Come back before—”
     “Courage isn’t the point! Swimming is!” The level of the surrounding water lowered to her thighs, signaling a coming wave.
     She turned just as it crested and dove headfirst into it. Completely submerged in the chill, rushing water, she headed left and allowed herself to rise to the surface. She swam freestyle for several strokes, then flipped onto her back and floated with abandon. After a minute or two, she flipped over, and swam in the opposite direction. Then she stood with the water at her ribs, waited for the next wave, and indulged in body surfing, which carried her with a whoosh back toward shore.
     Satisfied, she straightened, knee-deep in the water. Her wet chemise clung to her frame, and she knew Lord Seacrest was getting a lordly eyeful. Her nipples were rock-hard from the cold.
     She rolled her eyes toward the bright, blue sky. My kingdom for a bra! And throw in a pair of underwear, too! But both articles of clothing were back at Nihtscua and not likely to appear anytime soon. For the first time since plunging into the surf, she regarded Hugh.
     Eyes wide, her dry smock clutched in his hands, he stood as if frozen. Only his gaze moved, traveling from her breasts to the apex of her thighs.
     She pulled the smock away from her flesh as best she could and advanced toward him, stopping an arm’s length away. “I told you I could swim.”
     He blinked. Then his full, sensual lips curled into a smile. “Indeed, you did.”
     “And?”
     “And what?”
     “You’ve doubted me twice already. Perhaps you owe me an apology.”
     His eyes widened, then relaxed. “Perhaps I do. Pray…forgive me.”
     The words couldn’t have come easily, and the fact he’d said them made her grin. “I forgive you. This time. But I ask respectfully that you not underestimate me again.”
     For two seconds, he hesitated. “ʼTis a reasonable request, and I shall endeavor to honor it.” He gave her a quizzical look. Then he shook his head and chuckled. “Is there anything you cannot do?”
     She thought for a moment. “I’ve never ridden aside. If I’m going to ride something, I spread my legs.” The instant the words left her mouth, she cringed inside. Good God. That came out all wrong!
     Humor curved his lips, but his eyes smoldered. Did his thoughts mirror hers? He took a step closer, and his masculine aura invaded her personal space. “Tell me more.”

To purchase Night of the Owl, go to:







To learn more about Judity Sterling and the stories she creates, go to:




9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for featuring NIGHT OF THE OWL today. It's an honor and a pleasure to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night of the Owl sounds like a great read. Love your TBR pile. You're in good company. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words and support. Yes, I'm in great company!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the excerpt very much! Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, Andrea. Best of luck with Always on My Mind!

    ReplyDelete