Thursday, October 8, 2020

More on Sensory Processing Disorder by Marilyn Barr

 What is a sensory diet and why would a therapist need to build one for someone with sensory processing disorder (SPD)? 

           Happy Sensory Processing Awareness month!  I am honored to share my experiences with sensory processing disorder (SPD) on behalf of the main character, Alison, in my debut novel “Bear with Me”.  We have the same SPD induced behaviors where some of our senses cause us to over-react while others are under-reactive.  While SPD is not recognized as a stand-alone diagnosis by insurance companies, the medical community recognizes it as a disorder not only in the general population but also as common comorbidity to autism spectrum disorder.  Some of the best interventions for the seeking or avoidance behaviors associated with SPD is a sensory diet.

          A sensory diet is not just about eating.  It is a schedule of activity choices to satisfy neurological impulses and regulate the senses.  Sensory diets are a highlight of blogs, instructional videos, and interactive modules all over the internet.  I would highly recommend a licensed therapist, physical or occupational, in the assessment and creation of a sensory diet.  While you know your body (or your child’s body), the therapist will have had training on the specific equipment which can give you the best result and avoid injury.  Just like anyone can download an aerobics video, it doesn’t replace the teaching of a personal trainer.  It is the goal of the SPD community to normalize the creation of sensory diets and to standardize the diagnosis of SPD so insurance will uniformly cover physical and occupational therapy in addition to what is offered in some schools.

          A key component of any sensory diet is the balance of stimulation and quiet space.  This is where the utilization of sensory rooms is crucial.  Being able to take my son to a silent space at a hockey game when the constant blinking lights overstimulated him, gave my family the ability to enjoy the end of the game.  Sometimes under-stimulation is just as damaging as overstimulation when it comes to inappropriate behavior.  When I require vestibular input, I can’t sit still.  I twirl the rings on my fingers, bracelets on my wrists, and kick my feet from my chair. 

Having a sensory swing instead of living room furniture, allows vestibular input to be in my diet several times per day.  I also manage my proprioceptive seeking behaviors with heavy work to balance the times of sitting still.  Extreme gardening and weightlifting are part of my daily routine with duration based on my sensory needs.  When I taught high school, I kept dumbbells in the office behind my classroom to lift between classes on test days.  In “Bear with Me”, Alison explains how she chose her college based on the number of hours she would be allowed to work in their greenhouse.  As an adult, she chose to teach at a garden center to have constant opportunities for movement, heavy work, and escaping fluorescent lighting.

          There are other less extreme components to a sensory diet as well.  Wilbarger brushing is a specific procedure where dry-brushing the skin enhances the sensitivity of the skin over time to increase natural proprioceptive input.  New research into the benefits of aromatherapy is making plant-based scents a part of a sensory diet.  I use scented candles to focus on my narrator in each chapter with an assigned candle scent.  Other adults with SPD will carry slime, playdough, or stress-putty to receive input unobtrusively.  My son requires increased auditory input, so we have instrumental music or therapeutic drumming playing in our house every waking hour. 

With thirty-five different combinations of over-responsive, under-responsive, and seeking requirements, the list of activity options on a sensory diet is vast.  A qualified therapist can help with designing a plan as unique as the individual who uses it.  Some activities require specialized equipment while others are small lifestyle changes but the magnitude of having accommodations is greater than the cost.  Hopefully, someday in the near future, everyone with SPD will have access to the therapists needed to create the best sensory diet for them. 

2 comments: