Monday, October 19, 2020

The Texas Ranger and the Professor

                             Happenstance drew them together – love kept them there.

Wild Women Authors welcomes author Susan Payne who celebrates the recent release of The Texas Ranger and the Professor out of the Wild Rose Press. With Susan is Jessie Reeves, PhD, who will go first.

Good morning, Dr. Reeves. Let’s start with a little about your background, starting with where you’re from. “I take pride in the fact I was born in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.  My parents were trying to make it back to American shores before I arrived but didn’t quite make it.  I call the world my home and it’s how I found Ranger Edwards.”

What did you think the first time you saw Benjamin Edwards? “I wasn’t very impressed because he seemed to view me as a primping female who should be sitting in the shade and fanning myself, drinking iced tea or something.  He irritated me to no end.”   

What was your second thought? “That I was going to spend the next

Several weeks arguing with him to let me do my job. I had to admit he

was attractive – I mean, he is very attractive. I even find his hoarse sort

of voice attractive.”

Was it love at first sight? “Heavens, no.  I was there to do a job – not find a man.  I don’t have time in my life for a man let alone a husband.”

Now that you know him better, what do you like most about Benjamin? “That he is extremely dedicated.  He took on the Ranger position in respect to his father, but he always wanted to be in law.  He has a good mind for politics and the law.

How would you describe him? “Not a typical Ranger.  He is very well educated, strong family ties, and wants to help the Native American tribes.  Perhaps because his mother had been held captive for years or that he has a half-Comanche brother from that captivity.  It is a very strong family even if they do sometimes find themselves on the opposite sides of a matter.

How would Benjamin describe you? “I’m sure pig-headed would be right up there along with tenacious.  I feel I need to do what I’m doing.  I need to study these various peoples and their way of life before it is gone from us completely. As a nation we haven’t done a very good job of saving animals or tribes for the future.  We want everyone to fall into these tight little categories.  We try to force them to follow our guidelines or perish.  It isn’t good.  There should be room for everyone.”

What made you choose anthropology for a profession? “My parents raised me among various tribes and I learned from them that each had good and bad methods of living.  That doesn’t mean that the white men from Europe have the best way or any others are poor.  We need to meld ourselves just as Americans meld with other countries customs and politics.”

What is your biggest fear? “That the majority will wipe out the minorities without taking into consideration all the good they may be obliterating.  We need to accept people for who they are.”

How do you relax? “I talk with my family.  By that I mean my husband’s parents and his brother, Morgan, and my sister-in-law, Mourning Dove. Of course, spending quiet time with Benjamin and our son.”

Who is your favorite fictional character? “I’m afraid I don’t read much fiction.  I’ve been too busy reading books and journals in my field.”

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? “Never give up hope of being rescued.  That the Rangers would keep hunting for me and take me home.”

 Thank you, Dr. Reeves. Now, we’d like to spend some time with Susan.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? “So many since I’ve read everything I could lay my hands on since I was eight years old or so.  Many of them were above my comprehension level but I remember them.  Pearl S Buck was one author I remember clearly.”

What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? “My interest in anthropology when I was younger.  I wanted to travel and see how the everyday people live.  When I’m in a foreign country, I go to their stores and compare food prices or what a pair of shoes cost.  You’d be surprised at the differences even in a country such as England.”

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? “I use Wild Rose Press to self-publish a series of 8 stories and then submitted a few to them which they contracted.  It’s been great working with them.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? “Like my characters, too many.  And every day the list grows. I read mostly historical and read about 10 a month.”

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? “Rescued by a Highlander is recently released.  A Regency Christmas Anthology will be released on November 4th followed by Three Sisters on November 16th and Blind Faith on December 9th.

 Susan brought along an excerpt from The Texas Ranger and the Professor for us:

      “Benjamin, Benjamin, please stay with me. Don’t die. We are both going to be all right, don’t leave me.” But the man who stood so stoically for so long didn’t have the strength to open his eyes to acknowledge if he heard her.

A young Ranger came and kneeled down beside her and Edwards. “Is the Captain dead? Did we get here too late?”

He cut her bindings as she spoke. “He’s still breathing, but I don’t know for how much longer. He has multiple injuries and some broken bones as well, probably cracked ribs. Can you take us back to our campsite if I tell you the way?” She tried to find enough material in Edwards’ discarded shirt to cover the bleeding wounds.

“We came past your tent a couple of hours ago. We’ve been following this band of Comanche for the past two days. They got careless after capturing you and left a clean trail right to this camp although Captain Edwards might have had something to do with that. A lot of plants were bent over. Usually the Comanche are careful to have their horses do less damage.”

“They were very excited to have captured us. I think they wanted to kill Ranger Edwards right from the start, but waited till we got here so they could show off for the others. Just the five who were in that raiding party got a chance to do this to him.”

 To purchase The Texas Ranger and the Professor, go to: https://www.amazon.com/Texas-Ranger-Professor-Susan-Payne/dp/1509232958

 To learn more about Susan Payne and the stories she creates, go to:

 Website:  http://www.authorsusanpayne.com

URL:  http://www.amazon.Susan-Payne

Tweet:  @SUSANREID460

Email:  authorspayne@gmail.com

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Susan -your heroine sounds spunky and I love her attitude and world views on embracing experiences of all people. Wishing you the best with sales of an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Pearl S. Buck, too. My grandmother used to read her stories to us when we were young. I think Geen always wanted to BE Pearl.

    I can't wait to read this story. I love the good doctor's sassiness!

    ReplyDelete