Thursday, April 8, 2021

The Earl's Error

 . . . Lorelei Grey, the countess of Kimpton, can’t trust her husband. Not only did he exile her brother from England without a word to her, but she’s since learned he fathered his ex-mistress’s unborn child. She had only one stipulation for their marriage…to treat her with respect.

. . . Thorne Grey, the Earl of Kimpton, wants his wife, craves his wife. When she threatens to leave, he panics and offers to pay her to stay with him. He’s bought himself two weeks and prays it’s enough time to find her missing brother and prove he’s not the scoundrel she believes.
. . . Neither is able to ignore the explosive passion between them, but in their search for her brother, they encounter a threat that could not only destroy their relationship, but their very lives.

 Wild Women Authors is pleased to feature author Kathy L Wheeler as she celebrates the reissue of The Earl’s Error, part of the Rebel Lords of London series. As an added attraction we are talking to Lady Irene Ennis, Lord Kimpton’s daughter, Lorelei Gray’s step daughter.

Good morning Lady Irene, please tell us where you are from. I’m from London. 

Tell us a bit about yourself: Well, I’m eight, but I raised my younger sister Celia.

Can you tell us why you are whispering? My father’s not a nice man.

Okay, tell us please what you thought the first time you saw your father, Lord Kimpton? He was very dashing. And strong.

Interesting. What was your second thought? He should have a baby.

What do you like most about him? Well… our governess threatened to sell my sister and I if we told anyone the things we saw. But Lord Kimpton made her go away.

Yes, We can see why you’d like him. But what about Lady Kimpton? She’s frightened of babies.

And that makes you smile? Oh, no! I mean, um, yes. I-I had to show her how to hold Nathan. He’s a newborn. She didn’t even know how to change his nappies.

How would you describe Lady Kimpton? She is very proper, but she is all mush inside.

How would they describe you? I’ve heard them talk. They think I’m old inside. That doesn’t make sense to me. I’m eight.

What is your biggest fear? Losing my mother. I’m afraid she’s dead.

Thank you Lady Irene; we’d like to chat with Kathy Wheeler now.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I love romantic comedy. I think it’s fun to see if I can find the turning points. It keeps my husband entertained. He thinks I’m the best writer ever. I hate disappointing him.

What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Irene is a side character this book, but I was a single parent from the time my own daughter turned two. And, I always felt my daughter had an old soul because it was just the two of us. I didn’t remarry until she was twenty.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I read and re-read anything Jayne Ann Krentz, Teresa Medeiros, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, so I preorder all my favorite authors.

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? This book is a reissue (meaning my publishing company went belly-up and returned my rights.) I wrote a prequel to help quick start the entire series, which I’m happy to say is completed and up for pre-order. That is a very exciting feeling. 

The Series Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WRJMJF8

Enchanting the Earl (a free prequel)

The Earl’s Error – 4/6

The Marquis’s Misstep – 5/4

The 7th Son – 6/8

The Viscount’s Vendetta – 7/6

 

 Kathy brought along an excerpt for us:

Despite her best judgment, Lorelei turned her face up to a rare sun-filled day, eyes closed. The snippy air required a shawl, but the sun warmed her shoulders through it. She smiled, reveling in the small pleasures surrounding her. Cecilia giggled, having enticed Liza to a footrace about the garden, while Irene issued serious instructions to Corinne on the best method for relieving Nathan of bubbles in his small tummy after a sound feeding.

Ever the gracious lady, Irene positioned herself primly between Lorelei and Corinne. “Lady Kimpton?” Irene adjusted the blanket that swaddled Nathan, folding it just right about his face. Satisfied that it allowed him suitable air and sunshine, she turned those serious eyes to Lorelei. “Is there any word on my mother?”

Lorelei’s heart dipped as she clasped Irene’s small hand and shook her head. “I’m sorry, darling. I’ve had no word. My promise holds, however. Never fear.”

Irene leaned close to Lorelei, raising eyes identical to Ginny’s but for their color. “I expect she’s dead.”

“Nonsense,” Lorelei said firmly, silently appalled. “We would have most certainly have heard something to that effect.” She made a mental note to demand answers from Thorne. Today.

Irene cast her gaze around the gardens. “It’s lovely here, isn’t it, Lady Kimpton?”

Lorelei followed her gaze. “It is indeed.”

“I suppose it’s sinful to say so, but if Mama is dead, I would not mind living here with you and Lord Kimpton.”

Lorelei swallowed the sudden lump in her throat, unable to squeeze words past it. She nodded.

Flowers bloomed along the garden’s edge. Thick ivy snaked in and around the garden gate, up and over the bricked fence.

Where was Ginny? What had she endured the night Lorelei had taken ill? Her happiness in the moment faltered. Why hadn’t Ginny tried contacting her, asked after her girls? And now that she thought on it, there’d been no word from Lord Maudsley either. If something had happened to her friend that would leave these two wonderful children in the earl’s sole care… Lorelei suppressed a shudder. Ginny treasured her daughters more than her own life. She feared Irene might be right about her mother.

 To purchase The Earl’s Error, go to: 

Amazon ~ iTunes ~ Kobo ~ Barnes & Noble ~ Draft2Digital ~ Smashwords

 To learn more about Kathy L Wheeler and the stories she creates, go to:

 https://kathylwheeler.com

 https://www.amazon.com/Kathy-L-Wheeler/e/B07C87Y2GK

 https://kathylwheeler.com

 

https://facebook.com/kathylwheeler

 

https://twitter.com/kathylwheeler

 

https://pinterest.com/kathylwheeler

 

https://bookbub.com/kathy-l-wheeler

 

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5804151.Kathy_L_Wheeler

 

 

 

 

 

 

15 comments:

  1. What a fun interview. Irene is a great character. I love this book...congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. I'd forgotten I'd written it. It IS fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview and this book sounds amazing!
    Good luck and god's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, Pam. She's an amazing character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your excerpt and the covers for the series are beautiful! I hope now that they're under your care they'll take off! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incidentally, The Earl's Error is the only book that was under the previous publisher. The entire series, including the prequel -- Enchanting the Earl -- are new books.

      Delete
  6. Purchased the whole series! Now to find reading time....

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, wow! Thank you. I hope you love it as much as I loved writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun series, Kathy - checking out the prequel and first book. Good luck with the rest of the books as you get them out into the world. Can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Deb. I hope you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy book birthday, Kathy, and best of luck with your dashing dukes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The plot sounds intriguing, and Irene is a great character!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the excerpt. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your release!

    ReplyDelete