Monday, August 16, 2021

Eat Your Heart Out by Shirley Goldberg

 They’re not ready to go from friends to lovers. Will practice make perfect? 

       When a tyrant in stilettos replaces her beloved boss, and her ex snags her coveted job, teacher Dana Narvana discovers there are worse things than getting dumped on Facebook. Even at her age. Time for the BFF advice squad, starting with Dana's staunchest ally, Alex. Hunky colleague, quipster, and cooking pal extraordinaire. But when the after-hours smooching goes nowhere, she wonders why this grown man won't make up his mind.   

Actor turned teacher Alex Bethany craves a family of his own and his new lifestyle gives him the confidence to try online dating. Meanwhile he’s sending Dana mixed messages in the kissing department. After a surprising event rocks his world, Alex panics, certain he’s blown his chances with his special person. From appetizers to the main course will these two cooking buddies make it to dessert?

 Wild Women Authors features author Shirley Goldberg and Eat Your Heart Out, a contemporary women’s fiction novel, released by the Wild Rose Press. With Shirley is high school English teacher Dana Narvana who will go first.

Good morning, Dana. Let’s start with where you are from. I’m from New Haven, Connecticut. Grew up there. Know where to grab the best pizza on the planet.

Tell us a bit about Eat Your Heart Out. It’s weird to talk about myself since I’m a figment of Shirley’s brain, but here goes. The novel is romantic women’s fiction, which is different from straight romance. Alex Bethany is the other main character and my friend. I’m pretty much struggling at school with my bitchy boss, my crappy love life, and then there’s a few food issues I’m wrestling. I’m a foodie, I’ll admit it.

What did you think the first time you saw Alex? I didn’t recognize him. Not a clue. Can’t tell you why because that’s a spoiler. But we’d worked side-by-side for years.

What was your second thought? He’s hot!

Did you feel it was love at first sight? Quite the opposite. He irritated me. Wanted to collaborate on a project. I thought he had an agenda and was suspicious.

What do you like most about him? He’s there for me when I need him in so many ways, if you catch my drift.

How would you describe him? Funny, playful, loving. A great father. Sexy and a good listener.

How would he describe you? Demanding. Soft on the inside, especially when it comes to Sara, my daughter. And Alex, of course. He’d say I love to laugh, sometimes at inappropriate moments.

What made you choose teaching as a career? I love outwitting smart kids––you know, I’m talking about the whole class management thing–– and I learn something new every day from my students.

What is your biggest fear? That something could hurt my daughter. Or Alex’s son.

How do you relax? A great book. The beach in the off-season. Doing anything with Alex.

Who is your favorite fictional character? Scarlet O’Hara because she’s a real heroine and so tragic at the same time.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Do what you’re afraid to do. I use this when writing, too.

Thanks for taking time to speak with us, Dana. Now we’d like to chat with Shirley.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I’ve always loved the old black and white Cary Grant movies. Also, The Apartment with Shirley MacLaine and Jack Lemmon. Now when I watch a movie, I look for the beats since movies and novels follow the three-act structure, from the inciting incident to the dark night of the soul.

What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? The characters had issues with food and since I was intimately familiar with those issues, one of my characters had to overcome a serious addiction. Not saying which one.

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I knew my editor personally from our Florida writers group and she encouraged me to consider submitting my first book to The Wild Rose Press.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? A couple New Yorker magazines. I’m taking a short break from novel reading. It’ll probably last a day.

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I’ve finished my third book in the Starting Over series. Now I’m combing through it again for inconsistencies, awkward or boring dialog, and typos. And I have to come up with a title. I’m thinking of calling it Dream On because it’s more angsty than my other books. Amazing that people (my characters) can’t make up their minds about what’s arguably the most important thing in life: choosing your special person.

 Shirley brought along an excerpt from Eat Your Heart Out:  

Bora Bora on Chapel Street was the best after work spot for people watching and enjoying beer on a splendid afternoon. The kiss of the afternoon sun urged me closer to drowsy and relaxed. It had been a while since Alex and I had been out together.

“Look. On the other side.” I gestured with my chin. My students, the Mean Girls, poised to cross the street against the light, a trio of teenettes, primped and pouty and aware of their power. I widened my eyes and slipped down my sunglasses, nudged Alex, who wasn’t paying attention, with my elbow.

“Ouch—”

“Your ten o’clock.” I could almost smell their perfumed perfection from a block away. “I’ll bet they ignore us. If they come this way.”

The Snotties headed down the street to our left, but I had no doubt we’d been sighted. Mr. Bethany and Ms. Narvana. Together.

“Who cares?”

“You will. When they spread the word. The whole school—”

“Enough shop talk, Ms. Narvana. Don’t be an alarmist.” Alex chin-jabbed in the direction of two twenty-somethings crossing the street. “See that couple there? Well, she hates it when he sneaks a smoke late at night in the kitchen downstairs, wearing nothing but his argyles and tighty-whities.”

I leaned over to whisper into the crook of his arm, breathed in his faint piney scent with a hint of beer breath. “When they’re at her parents’ place, house sitting, they do it in the master bedroom, secretly hoping the parents will come home early and catch them en flagrante.”

Alex made a face that gave him a bedraggled look. “En flagrante, huh? You revised my story. I’ll let it go this time because you added clever details.” Using his radio announcer voice. “And she used foreign words.”

 

To learn more about Shirley Goldberg and the stories she creates, go to:

https://www.facebook.com/midagedating

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54758920-middle-ageish

 https://twitter.com/mylifeasadate

 https://www.instagram.com/shirleygoldbergauthor/

 Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/author/shirleygoldberg

 https://www.bookbub.com/books/eat-your-heart-out-starting-over-book-2-by-shirley-goldberg

 https://www.bookbub.com/authors/shirley-goldberg

 https://midagedating.com/

 To purchase Eat Your Heart Out, go to:

ttps://books2read.com/u/b6OKKZ

 Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VHWN56S/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Apple Books

https://books.apple.com/us/book/eat-your-heart-out/id1552301489

Barnes&Noble

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/eat-your-heart-out-shirley-goldberg/1138734045?ean=2940162478133

Kobo

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/eat-your-heart-out-12

Google Books

https://books.google.com/books?

id=gP0hEAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq="Shirley+Goldberg"+eat+your+heart+out&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjRpu7DpKbwAhXVRTABHZLDDt4Q6wEwAHoECAAQAQ

2 comments: