Thursday, August 10, 2023

The Twenty-One Year Contract by L. B. Griffen

 Wild Women Authors feature L. B. Griffen and The Twenty-One-Year Contract, a 2022 Vintage Rose release out of the Wild Rose Press. With author Griffen is fashion designer Kathleen Gray who will go first.

Good morning, Kathleen. Thank you for speaking with us. Let’s begin with where you are from. I used to live in Somerset but ran away to London when I was fourteen. 1950s London is so different to rural Somerset, but I’ve settled in. Luckily, my lovely Uncle Jack understood why I ran away, and has supported my desire to become a fashion designer, and in London!

Tell us a bit about The Twenty-One-Year Contract. I was adopted as a baby. It’s the 1950s and I had no idea who my mother was, but my family were wonderful, and my life in rural Somerset was idyllic. I always wanted to find out about her, but the law doesn’t allow it.

          I guess I was thought of as a bit of wild-child. I loved to climb trees, and got up to mischief, but I also loved fashion and sewing. It was something I excelled at. My adoptive mother ran her own sewing business and including me in all of it. Then, my family were in a tragic traffic accident and they were gone. I felt abandoned all over again.

          My lovely Uncle Jack lives in America and works across the world. He tried his best but he needed to get on with his life. That’s when I decided to run away to London. Where else better than to build a life in fashion. I got a job in a posh London atelier. I mixed with the rich and famous and have even made clothes for  the infamous Dorian Craddock. She’s a dangerous gangster. Watch out Dorian, you never know what is going to happen to you.

          Now I’m planning to try and find my mother, but there’s so much more between all of these pages I would love to share with you. Please, join me in my world. I will welcome you with open arms.

What did you think the first time you saw Harriet Laws? Harriet was lovely, sweet, and for some reason when I met her quite by chance in the library, I felt a connection. Then, as coincidence had it, she came to the Atelier where I worked and guess what—I made her a cocktail dress. Harriet and I became the best of friends. We are so much more than that now though.

What was your second thought?  Harriet was genuine and strong, but I worried about her when she met CJ. He mixed with Dorian Craddock, you remember I mentioned her earlier. She is dangerous. Her father was hanged for murder. CJ Rutherford was just as unscrupulous, and it seems his designs on Harriet worked. They married and I didn’t even know about it. Now she’s gone missing. I really don’t know what to do.

Do you feel it was love at first sight? No, not for Harriet. I think CJ swept her off her feet. But when I met Alex? Yes. Definitely.

What do you like most about Alex? Alex is an upcoming back bencher. He’s wonderful, my ying to his yang. Without him keeping my feet on the ground I wonder what might have become of me. He’s so supportive and has brought the issues of the homeless to light in the commons. We do the soup kitchens together on a Sunday. Where else might you find someone so dedicated and supportive?

How would you describe Alex? Honest. Reliable and totally committed to a cause he believes in. If you had him on your side you would know you were in safe hands.

How would Alex describe you? Oh, dear. Maybe he would be kind. He loves me, that’s so clear. He might say I am a little difficult, wild at times, and I guess a little eccentric, but he keeps me grounded.

What made you choose fashion for a career? That’s an easy answer. I seem to have a knack of seeing fabrics and working with my clients to design something that is flattering and fashionable.

What is your biggest fear? Losing Harriet. Losing Alex. Losing my baby.

How do you relax? Well, I loved to go to all the parties Dorian used to throw, but I grew out of that. It seems the seedy side was getting more dodgy. Now, I listen to music and when I get a chance go for walks and dancing.

Who is your favorite fictional character? My Uncle Jack is first. Though I love Dorian Craddock. I love to hate her.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Take a deep breath and identify what to do next.

Thank you again, Kathleen. Now we’d like to chat with L.B. starting with what movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I love You ave MailHave Mail. It’s a tearjerker, and I adore a good romance. Will they won’t they. In fact, I’m in the middle of writing a contemporary romance at the moment. I also love Of Mice and Men as my stories are about the underdog. I want them to win. I want them to survive. I like to draw on issues that some people might find a little challenging. Like Harriet, in Secrets, Shame, and a Shoebox who has difficult marriage. Like Kate, who was born out of wedlock and was adopted and the feelings around abandonment and the final coming of age and acceptance.

          Then, of course, I adore One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest for the description, the flavour of the time, the humour. Nurse Ratchet is my Dorian Craddock. Nasty. I love writing nasty. I like my antagonists to shine and make them someone you love to hate. But I also love writing the lighter side of life after all it is woven throughout.

Is there an event in your private life that you were able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Absolutely. In fact I would say everything I write is based on experience of life. Adoption was not uncommon when I grew up in the 50s – yes, I’m that old. Also, I saw the Dorian Craddocks. The not so nice world. But I was lucky and side-stepped people like that. Later, during my working full-time paid jobs I met a wonderful array of people. Each with their own stories that blew me away. I would never have imagined the lives they led. They were survivors. My stories are filled with surprises and survival, to mark and respect each and every one of them.

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I loved the notion that The Wild Rose Press set up in business to support upcoming authors. The CEO has experienced the difficulties and saw it a way forward. I did tons of research to discover who was open for submission and in the genre I wrote. It’s the only way. Unless they come to you.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Goodness I have a stack. I’ve just read Corinne LaBalme’s Summer People. Great fun. Totally recommend. I have Where the Crawdads Sing. I watched the film and wanted to read how she wrote the story as there’s so many gaps in the film. I’ve got Re-Writes of the Heart by Terry Newman on my list, just put it down and reviewed. Brilliant, clever, and fun. There’s a ton more, but I won’t bore you.

Last, what's up next for you and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? My WIP is a contemporary romance. I hope to have it on the shelves by early next year. It’s an exciting project, and as its in first person different to my others. It is still a story of survival, but it has much more humour.

 To purchase The Twenty-One-Year Contract, go to: mybook.to/twentyone

 To learn more about L. B. Griffen, go to:

www.wifeinthewest.com – a blog for budding writers and highlighting authors

www.instagram.com/lynngriffinauthoruk 

www.Facebook.com/lynngriffinauthor/

www.twitter.com/lbgriffinauthor

www.wifeinthewest.com

 

 

1 comment: