Friday, August 11, 2023

The Vampire's Retribution by M. Flagg

 Dreams are often hidden desires… even if they are terrifying.

        Michael Malone, a mystically enhanced vampire, destroys three immortal sorcerers and takes on their vengeful army of hell-beasts in an unprecedented battle. Poisoned and captured, his body is exsanguinated and left to rot in a cell beneath the city. Guided by the heavenly entity known as Helena, he spins a fantasy full of deep love and devotion to the one woman he treasures and his mystically-human, very troubled son. Helena focuses Michael’s fading mind through emotional twists and unexpected turns, through passionate highs and very realistic lows.

Is there deliverance or the end to his immortal existence at its conclusion? Each revelation offers hope. Yet Michael’s last words doggedly remain “Let me die.” His original reasons for the singular battle are noble. One is retribution. The other is love.

 Wild Women Authors feature author Micki Flagg and The Vampire’s Retribution , released by the Wild Rose Press out of the Black Rose line. With the author is vampire Michael Malone who will go first.    

Good morning, Michael Malone. Let’s begin with where you are from. I was born in London, England in 1663. I was sired at the age of twenty-seven in 1690 in the British Colony of New York.

Tell us a bit about The Vampire’s Retribution. I had a very personal reason for destroying three evil sorcerers, which is how the first book in The Champion Chronicles’ Series begins. They then opened a portal to flood the human world with hell-beasts. Needless to say, this didn’t sit well with me. So I battled them, and finally, when the portal closed, I was deviously poisoned and held in a cell deep below the city streets. As my sanity slipped away I was guided by a heavenly entity who allowed me to fantasize about redemption. Eight days later, my beloved Guardian took my human son under her protection and then she rescued me.  

What did you think the first time you saw Alana? Ah, an interesting question. I watched my Guardian called at the tender age of sixteen to her mystical mission. My first thoughts were to protect the new Guardian of Souls during her ten-years of mystical service to the Georgians. But Alana was different. Much different. She was stronger than any Guardian gifted with mystical strength. What I didn’t expect was to fall deeply in love with her. Didn’t expect that at all.   

What was your second thought? That Alana was unique among women. Also, unique among other mystical warriors who destroy vampires as well. And this intrigued me. She came off very bright yet stubborn. I liked those qualities, and she wore them in a fascinating way.

Do you feel it was love at first sight? Yes, absolutely. Yet I dismissed my attraction to her for five years. I simply could not justify loving her.   

What do you like most about her? There is nothing about Alana that I don’t like. What I like most is that she is a loving woman, a genuine person. 

How would you describe her? My Guardian is like a Mediterranean princess, a beautiful Italian woman with lovely hazel eyes full of depth and wonder. She often describes herself as a few inches above five foot tall and full of curves. But it is her inner beauty that captures my very soul.  

How would Alana describe you? I suppose Alana would describe me as a commanding vampire who masters the beast-within me. Of course, I am the anomaly, mystically enhanced. Other than that, she is aware of my arrogance, often alluding to my eyes as dark-espresso and my features as handsome.   

What made you choose protecting innocents for a career? Career? It is more likely the solitary purpose to my existence. Since I mastered the beast-within my soul in 1890 I have protected innocents slated for death by other vampires. I suppose this is why the Georgian Council considers me a Champion.  

What is your biggest fear? I fear very little with one exception… and it is not the wooden stake or silver sword. It is the loss of Alana or Lukas, my human son.   

How do you relax? There is little downtime for one such as I. Yet I suppose spending time with Alana and Lukas would be the best answer.

Who is your favorite fictional character? I have read many novels and plays throughout the centuries of my existence. It would be too difficult to choose one, although many of Shakespeare’s flawed heroes remain my favorites.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Be true to oneself.

Thank you for this time, Michael. Now we’d like to chat with Micki.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? There are many books that have had an impact on my career as a writer. I love the long, languid writing found in the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon as well as the scruffy descriptions and snappy dialogue in J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood Series. Going back further, I was totally intrigued by Anne Rice’s Interview with a Vampire, and not by Lestat. I was drawn to Louis. Other story tropes left an impression on me, going back to reading Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I’m skipping all over the decades here, aren’t I? Books leave a lasting impression on me, more so than movies. It’s the writing styles of so many wonderful authors that make an impression on me.   

Is there an event in your private life that you were able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Well, obviously the whole vampire thing is my imagination. All of my life impacts the stories I write. The sad times, devastating moments and the joys I’ve experienced. Marriage, motherhood, the relationship with my parents and my sister… it all fills my heart when I write a story.          

       And just as different relationships leave a lasting impression on us all, I hope to represent many facets of love and acceptance in my novels. Michael experiences the ups and downs of being a good parent, the importance of true friendships as well as romantic love with Alana. These are all part of life. I tried to explore the depths of emotion in someone who shouldn’t be able to feel them. And Michael’s journey will continue into very uncharted territory in the next few novels in the series.  

Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? In 2006 when I wrote the first version of Michael’s story, I queried dozens of agents and publishing houses. A lot of it was snail-mail back then. Months later, three publishing houses expressed interest in my first novel. I went with The Wild Rose Press because I liked the feedback and the personal tone of their original request for a full manuscript. My editor, Callie Lynn Wolfe, was very supportive, a great collaborator. She answered every question with patience. We hit it off well and she took on a very green writer who hung on her every comment. By the third novel in 2010, I knew what I was doing. As the novel released, I was on a different career path as a school administrator. Promoting paranormal romance didn’t quite jive. Then my rights reverted back to me years later.

          I wasn’t writing novels anymore. Didn’t write again, in fact, until a year after retirement in 2020. It took a while to clear my head, especially after my first bout with COVID. I started a story featuring one of the minor characters in Book I. Martine literally had one line of dialogue. That she was now in her thirties started me thinking. Then I hit a major snag and closed the word document.

          Frustrated, I started to revise Book I, and then it hit me. Michael’s son Lukas would also be in his thirties now. Then, all the interesting what ifs started to slam into my brain. Book IV of The Champion Chronicles was born. But the original trope had to change a bit. While updating the first three novels, I queried Night of the Crescent Moon with TWRP. I also emailed Callie… after well over a decade. When she asked for the manuscript, I worked off my nerves by revamping the previous books with the hopes of releasing them with fresh titles and new covers.

          Still with me here? I truly hope so because I received contracts for all four novels. It made sense to start over with Book I to expand the paranormal world I built. There are also four more novels in The Champion Chronicles to submit for publication.

          After well over a decade without one creative sentence about vampires, mystical warriors or witches, I finished three new novels in a year and I’m currently working on Book VIII. TWRP feels like home to me, and it is a true blessing to continue to collaborate with my original, fantastic editor Callie Lynn.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? I’m an eclectic reader. I can finish a book in two days or take weeks reading only a chapter at a time. I just finished J. R. Ward’s Lassiter, which was heavenly. I have various TWRP books on my Kindle.  

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? Mystical Consequences, Book II in The Champion Chronicles should be slated for release soon. Covers for all four novels by the extremely talented Rae Monet can be found on my website, http://mflagg-author.com and His Soul to Keep is in galleys.

Micki brought an excerpt for us:

Alana held up a set of expensive, black silk pajamas. “You like?”

Michael’s reply was an annoyed scowl.

She longed to sit close to him, but instead, settled into the upholstered Queen Anne chair. Angled next to the bedside table, only a few feet separated them, because touching him would be a temptation. Touching him would be her undoing. She folded the black silk pajamas on her lap as their gaze locked once again.

Was it the history, both bad and good between them? The temptation to only be a breath away? To reboot a romance, which ended years ago on such a terrifying note? Love for one another was a given. They both knew it to be true. But history is history. It doesn’t change. Michael was vulnerable now. So was she. Maybe more than one type of healing had a second chance. She cleared her throat. “So, is it a yes or a no?” He shook his head stiffly, from side to side, but his finger tapped the mattress. “You want me to sit next to you?”

“Yes,” came out of his pale lips, a whispered rasp. Was his rich baritone voice gone forever? 

 “You know why I can’t do that.”

His brows knit, turning the glare into a glower. “Say it, my Guardian.”

She sighed, long and slow, as her body sank deeper into the chair. “Where do I begin? And why relive what can never be changed?”

“Say it.”

“If this is a test of wills, I win this round.”

“You held me… in your arms last night.”

“You were unconscious, Michael.”

“And now?”

“It’s not right.”

“Why?”

“Because you are awake,” she stated, unwilling to give anymore.

“I love you.”

She closed her eyes, letting those three words sink deep into her soul. The memory of that terrible September night, almost seven years ago…

“Do not ignore me,” he added, with an attempt to muster the old, peppered arrogance he often wore.  

“Close your eyes,” she said in a tender tone to deescalate the situation, “You need rest.”   


To learn more about author M. Flagg and the stories she creates, go to:

Facebook:    (1) M. Flagg | Facebook

Twitter: Michele Flagg (@flagg_michele) / Twitter   https://twitter.com/flagg_michele

Instagram: Mickey Flagg (@mickeyflagg) • Instagram photos and videos https://www.instagram.com/mickeyflagg

 

To purchase The Vampire’s Retribution, go to:

Amazon: Amazon.com: The Vampire's Retribution (The Champion Chronicles Book 1) eBook : Flagg, M.: Books

Barnes & Nobles: The Vampire's Retribution by M. Flagg, Paperback | Barnes & Noble® (barnesandnoble.com)

 

 

2 comments: