Saturday, June 2, 2018

Wild Women Review: Last Orders by Laura Strickland

To go along with our new "look" we hope to now offer reviews on a few of our guests. We couldn't be more happy to premiere our WWA reviews with an author new to us, one we hope will return on a regular basis. 

Here we go: Last Orders, a Buffalo Steampunk novel by Laura Strickland

          Buffalo Police Sergeant Brendan Fagan, investigating a series of grisly murders spurred by clashes between humans and automatons, only wants to save his city. The last thing he needs in his life is a rule-bending, steam-cannon-toting, unpredictable female like Ginny Landry, a woman who could possible bring down his career and the one woman he quite likely can’t resist.
          Ginny means to settle the estate of her mother, an infamous madam, quickly and get out of town. She has no intention of becoming involved with any part of her inheritance or falling from Brendan. In fact, she makes it a point never to date handsome men. But when her rash behavior brings them together the attraction can’t be denied..
          And when the city erupts in chaos, forcing her to choose a moral side, can she deny what’s in her heart?

For me the story began with Brendan Fagan’s voice which took me back to the front parlor in my grandparents' home in the Tipperary Hill section of Syracuse, New York . The warm, wonderful memories brought a smile to my face. Immediately hooked, I then had to tear myself away when other duties, too pressing to ignore, called.
          Ordinarily not a fan of the Steampunk genre when “. . . sweet leaping Jesus, dancing on a tree stump . . .” jumped off the page, I fell in love.
I gotta read the rest of this series.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me! Thrilled to be here with my fellow wild women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome. Enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura Strickland is a true storyteller, and I can hardly wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete