Monday, June 20, 2022

A Glimpse of Music by Sydney Winward

 If fate gives you a third chance, would you take it?

        Joel Harrington has been in love with the same woman for as long as he could remember. But he had to watch her court his best friend, and then marry his king. Now that she’s once more unattached, he refuses to let her slip through his fingers for a third time.     

Darkness torments Nyana’s memories, and even after her cruel husband is killed, he still haunts her from the grave. When her past refuses to leave her alone, it puts not only her, but her daughters in danger. She has no choice but to lean on the man she has called a friend for the past eight years, a friend whose charms she tries hard to resist.

But along with the growing threat to her family, she keeps an even more dangerous secret—a secret that could change her life forever.

 Wild Women Authors welcomes back author Sydney Winward who is celebrating the release of A Glimpse of Music, a romantic fantasy, book 3 in her Sunlight and Shadows series. Up first is Nyana Everdon.  

 Good morning, Nyana. Thank you for speaking with us. Let’s begin with where you are from. I am from Heulwen, the capitol of the Sun Kingdom. I was born and raised here, though half of my family still lives among the forest folk.

Tell us a bit about A Glimpse of Music. It is about healing, finding yourself, and learning to accept love from those who care about you. After a traumatic marriage that left Nyana in shambles, she must learn to overcome her past, heal in her present, and accept a happy future.

What did you think the first time you saw Joel? The first time we met, I had snuck onto Joel’s family orchard when I was only fifteen years old. I was quickly taken by his wit and his friendliness, and we became the best of friends. It wasn’t until years later when I started to develop feelings for him.

What was your second thought? Joel always managed to make me laugh. I didn’t grow up in a happy home, and his family became my second family. He made me feel safe, secure, and wanted.

Do you feel it was love at first sight? Not for me. I was in love with his best friend for many years before I noticed Joel as something more than just a friend.

What do you like most about him? His talent for making people smile. He so easily brings out someone’s laughter, easing their burdens with a joke or a few trills of his flute.

How would you describe Joel? He is the best friend, the best father, and the most loving and caring person I know. Not only is he handsome and strong, especially when he labors in an orchard, but he gives you his full attention when you speak to him. He lights up a room and has this easy way of making someone feel comfortable.

How would he describe you? Plenty of people have made me feel small and weak, but he often comments about how I’m the strongest person he knows. He tells me what a good mother I am, how dedicated, loyal, and responsible I am toward my family. For him, it was love at first sight. I only wish I could have seen him in a romantic light far sooner than I had.

What is your biggest fear? I have so many fears, but my biggest might have to be losing my two daughters. It’s not easy to protect them when the world is so big and I am not as strong as I would like to be.

How do you relax? I enjoy sitting down with Joel and listening to him play his flute. The magic he weaves with a few notes is incredible. It’s so calming to cuddle up to his side and watch the stories he creates through his music.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? It is all right to lean on others when you need help.

Thank you again, Nyana. Now we’d like to speak with Sydney.

What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I have always admired Christopher Paolini’s writing and Brandon Sanderson’s world-building. I also really enjoy the tv show Merlin. They include so many details in the show that really put you in the story, and I try to reflect that same care when writing my books.

Is there an event in your private life that you were able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I have children of my own, which made it easier to bring my experiences, fears, and trials as a mother into A Glimpse of Music. I hope that Nyana’s love for her children feels genuine and emotional to my readers.

What book[s] currently rest on your TBR pile? Who doesn’t have a TBR pile a mile long?? In my immediate pile, I have Red Winter by Annette Marie, That Time I Got Drunk and Saved a Demon by Kimberly Lemming, and Kingdom of the Wicked by Kerri Maniscalco.

Lastly, what's up next and when can we expect to see it on the shelves? I have Through Wylder Meadows, coming out July 6, 2022; Bloodbane, book 4 in the Bloodborn Series, is coming out August 24. 2022; and I’m currently working on a novella set in the Viking age about a selkie who falls in love with the human who captures her.

 Sydney brought along an excerpt for us:

     The faintest, jaunty whistle echoed down the path leading to the house. She immediately recognized Joel’s carefree demeanor within the tune. She prayed he wouldn’t notice her. But the whistling stopped abruptly. Joel inhaled sharply, followed by quick footsteps headed her way. “Nyana. Are you hurt?”

After a slow sigh, she shook her head, keeping her face buried in her knee. “I just want to sit here for a moment.”

A pause. And then something heavy and warm draped over her shoulders. Joel’s coat. Shock stiffened her limbs when she inhaled the warm scents of cinnamon and apple, mixed with something uniquely Joel’s. Gold and mystery and emotion. Something like…like…

Music.

But music couldn’t possibly have a smell. Could it? 

He didn’t ask about the hens or the ominous message. He didn’t ask about her position on the ground. Nor did he touch her. Rather, he lowered himself to the ground beside her, sitting with his back against the broken chicken coop.

She slowly inhaled a breath of Joel from the coat wrapped around her and breathed out a river of comforting, companionable silence. Comforting. The foreign feeling shocked her. She could not remember a time when the presence of a man had been comforting.

Joel pulled a flute out of his pocket, lifted it to his lips, and a beautiful melody streamed out of the thin instrument.

Followed by golden magic.

She watched, eyes transfixed, as shimmering, golden tendrils floated in the air around them. Slivers of gold wove around her before they blossomed into magnificent flowers. They sparkled and shimmered as if continuing to sprout on a golden vine.

When she reached out to touch one of the flowers, it exploded into golden glitter and dusted her feet with its radiance. Almost like a sunbeam. Beautiful. Breathtaking. Magnificent.

Her gaze shifted from the golden magic to Joel’s serene expression as he played. His fingers moved deftly over the flute holes, his eyes half-closed as if playing brought him a measure of peace. It was as if his magic transferred to her, helping to calm the storm brewing within her. 

 To purchase A Glimpse of Music, go to:

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sydney-Winward/e/B08273JR7V

 

To learn more about Sydney Winward and the stories she creates go to:

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/19712442.Sydney_Winward

Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/sydney-winward

Website: https://sydneywinward.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SydneyWinward

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sydneywinward/

Tiktok: https://www.tiktok.com/@sydneywinward

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment: