Monday, June 13, 2022

Dragons Walk Among Us by Dan Rice

 At times it’s hard to believe what you see…

 Shutterbug Allison Lee is trying to survive high school while suffering abuse from the school’s mean girl. Her life is often abysmal, but at least her green hair is savage. Her talent for photography is recognized by the school paper and the judges of a photo contest.

While visiting her friend Joe, a homeless vet, Allison's life irrevocably changes after an attack leaves her blind. All her dreams as a photojournalist are dashed as she realizes she'll never see again. Despair sets in until she is offered an experimental procedure to restore her vision. But there are side effects, or are they hallucinations? She now sees dragons accompanying some of the people she meets.

Can she trust her eyes, or has the procedure affected her more than she can see?

 Wild Women Authors is pleased to feature author Dan Rice as he talks about the 2021 release of Dragons Walk Among Us, a YA sci-fi/fantasy under the Fantasy Rose imprint out of the Wild Rose Press. First up is photojournalist Allison Lee.

Welcome, Allison. Tell us a bit about Dragons Walk Among Us. First off, a violent attack leaves me blind. Luckily, cutting-edge prosthetic eyes restore my vision, but there are wild side effects. I can see dragons following some people around. Am I going crazy or what?

What made you choose photojournalism for a career? My dad gave me a used camera when I was ten or eleven. I’ve been taking pictures ever since. I want to turn my passion for documenting social justice and climate issues into a career.

Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stay in high school? Since I am the target of bullying by the mean girl, I’d bypass high school in an ideal world.

What is your biggest fear? Becoming my mother. She is a monster capable of killing in cold blood without remorse. I don’t ever want to become like her. My humanity is the best of me.

Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I identify with Frankenstein’s monster because we’re both misunderstood and misrepresented.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My dad always encourages me to lead with kindness. I found that to be pretty good advice.

 Allison, thank you for taking time away from your work and studies to speak with us. Now we’d like to talk to you.  creator, Dan Rice.

Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, [or both] have had a major impact on your writing? When I was around 11 or 12, I first read Frank Herbert’s Dune. I was swept away by the story and amazed the author created such a real fictional world in a slender volume. After reading that novel for the first time, I decided I wanted to try out this writing thing.

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman and EXO by Fonda Lee influenced my thoughts about Dragons Walk Among Us and The Allison Lee Chronicles series in general. Both YA tales feature protagonists struggling with their identity and loyalties in a sci-fi/fantasy setting, much like Allison Lee’s story.

With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? My research was limited to double-checking my geography. I had visited most of the locations—Seattle, Mount Rainier, the Olympic coast— many times. Since the story is inherently a fantasy, I didn’t feel the need to over research if such a thing is even possible.

A real-life event did inspire a particular theme running through the book. In the opening chapter, the school’s mean girl bullies Allison over her biracial appearance. My biracial son was bullied over his appearance at summer camp while I was writing the novel’s first draft. Although he was initially disturbed by the bullying, he got over the event and eventually, I believe, buried the hatchet with his antagonists. Allison follows a similar character arc.

Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them?  I’m published with The Wild Rose Press. I first heard about them years ago through my critique group, The Puget Sound Writer’s Guild. I believe one of the press founders belonged to the group many years before I joined up. At the time, I was trying to write epic fantasy, which I didn’t think The Wild Rose Press would be interested in (and if I’m honest, my writing wasn’t good enough at the time).

What influenced you to submit to them? I was shopping around Dragons Walk Among Us without tons of success, despite feeling confident it was pretty good. I happened upon an ad from Alicia Dean (fellow The Wild Rose Press author and maybe editor) offering editorial services in an email list I subscribe to. I had always hesitated to hire an editor due to the cost, but her discounted rate seemed reasonable. After working with her, my manuscript sparked interest from a couple of small presses. One asked for the full manuscript but ultimately declined to publish it.

I knew The Wild Rose Press was interested in YA from my research into publishers. So after polishing up the manuscript some more, I sent it off to them. About nine months later, my novel was published. I guess my story proves the publishing world is small!

What are you reading right now? The Lost Cord by Lyndi Alexander is a YA Fantasy featuring a protagonist with autism. The Fires of Vengeance by Evan Winter is an action-packed epic fantasy. Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff is a dark fantasy about humanity being subjugated by vampires.

What’s next for you? I just finished up my first round of edits for The Blood of Faeries, book two in The Allison Lee Chronicles. In this adventure, Allison’s friend is seduced by magic and mysteriously disappears. Allison will need to master her supernatural abilities while confronting beings thought long ago extinct and fiends all too human to rescue him. 

 To learn more about Dan Rice and the stories he creates go to:

https://www.danscifi.com/dragons-walk-among-us

·       Facebook

·       Twitter

·       BookBub

·       Instagram

·       Tiktok

 

To purchase Dragons Walk Among Us, go to:

·       Amazon

·       Kobo

·       Barnes & Noble

·       iBooks

 

 

 

3 comments: